TSV(R) Preview
73 Members and 12771 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Everyone who presents a shaper is a size 2

Started 1368680103.307 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1369192025.83 by MarieIG
How is that a great selling technique?

Page 1 of 2
BB19801368680445.147238 PostsRegistered 12/4/2011Midwest

But the plus size models show before and afters with them. I can't remember who it was, but just recently Iris was modeling a shaper and they measured her before and then measured her after and when the host did it, it didn't show a measurement change, lol!! So the vendor lady took the tape measurer from the host and measured her and tried to make it appear smaller by pulling it tighter. I cracked up on that one. And I am a larger gal too. I don't think that was a very good selling technique. The visual before and after is good enough but trying to put an actual tape measurement on the difference is not a good idea. If a shaper is so tight that it makes that much of a difference, then I don't want it anyway. I want a gentle shaper, not a corset. I just got the Jockey skimmers or skimmys or something like that, and I really like them. Gentle shaping.

VanSleepy1368680488.3073009 PostsRegistered 10/5/2010
I've been watching this whole hour - I have no idea why - and I was thinking that that one rep was awfully thin to be needing shape wear. Did you see Carrie (?) when they first had the tape measure loose and then measured and pulled it tight? lol

silkyk1368721662.641228 PostsRegistered 11/17/2004

YUP....just like everyone who models for the snake oil wrinkle fixer folks is around 25 and sure doesn't need wrinkle potions yet. When I see this I turn the channel.

hugsandkis­ses1368737397.251247 PostsRegistered 5/1/2007

I know ! that's a peeve of mine too. its So riduculous.

I don't think companies whether Clothing or Makeup would put their product on their targeted market. If its shape wear then the model would have a muffin top to contend to. And make up doesn't erase wrinkles or give you a face lift on a women who is of a certain age. They would loose money big time.

Its like what I say to my husband at car shows. They have young bikini models draped on cars. How else would they convince the male population that a new car is going give a boost to their life. Sales wouldn't be that great if they showed women in their age group draped on the hood of a new car.

"Sometimes good things fall apart so that Better Things can fall together"

wildcherry1368737664.743591 PostsRegistered 11/23/2005

If they showed it on a real plus size model, they wouldn't sell anything. They know darn well, these shapers will only squeeze all the fat together and be very unflattering on a larger size woman. When you squish it in some places and has to come out somewhere else. Not good! I never wear shapers. The panty one was a real laugh. Don't think a muffin top will spill over that one? Guess again. I can't stand their presentations, for the bras, shapers, spandex clothing and makeup. Ridiculous really. I'm not fooled.

Veni, Vedi, Visa: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping

gig27501368738074.4872735 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007right here, right now....

LOL! I always say that the shapers look great on the models, but I want to see them on real women!! Wink

molisa1368740351.3831213 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010Missouri
On 5/16/2013 gig2750 said:

LOL! I always say that the shapers look great on the models, but I want to see them on real women!! Wink

Thin women are real women and I am so tired of comments that suggest otherwise. I am small and wear a shaper under many things, especially clingy fabrics. I like the fabrics to lie smooth and shapers help with this, no matter what your size.

ellaphant1368740661.081554 PostsRegistered 12/13/2010

Here is why!:

Why are there only 20 year olds in cosmetic/beauty/ ads? Why are only young/thin beautiful

models used in magazines and TV?

The oldest Madison Avenue trick in the book. Because women will think 'that's what I want to look like. that's how I will look.'

I worked in advertising in casting national commercials for years. It's all about youth, beauty

and that = $$$.

wowee1368741009.6573415 PostsRegistered 4/9/2008phoenix

I am plus size BUT smart enough to know that thin women (who most definately are REAL) have bupms and jiggles they do not like also. If you buy the right size (usually one size up from normal) you will get a nice smooth look without spill over.

wowee1368741095.3233415 PostsRegistered 4/9/2008phoenix
On 5/16/2013 ellaphant said:

Here is why!:

Why are there only 20 year olds in cosmetic/beauty/ ads? Why are only young/thin beautiful

The oldest Madison Avenue trick in the book. Because women will think 'that's what I want to look like. that's how I will look.'

I worked in advertising in casting national commercials for years. It's all about youth, beauty

and that = $$$.

I would like to think MOST women are intelligent enough to know when they are not model perfect or 25. And all the make up in the world isn"t going to change that. JMO

sarpy1368741242.31601 PostsRegistered 6/29/2006

I have to laugh every time I get a JCP catalog in my paper. For Mother's Day, there wasn't a gal over 30 modeling. Come on, how many more mother's are over 30? They couldn't wear anything in that catalog.

ellaphant1368750488.2431554 PostsRegistered 12/13/2010
On 5/16/2013 wowee said:

Here is why!:

and that = $$$.

I would like to think MOST women are intelligent enough to know when they are not model perfect or 25. And all the make up in the world isn"t going to change that. JMO

Couldn't agree with you more Wowee! But QVC and most every other reatiler presents young, thin, beautiful women when 'selling'...ever see a plus size model on a Ripka or Mally show? Or a older or plus size model for any big name brand in magazines or on TV? You never will. I personally find anti-aging product shows ridicullous. Of course I treat and clenase my skin well, but ETHICAL doctors have stated NO cream or serum will remove wrinkles or sagging. BUT! Put a beautiful thin young model on screen, and ca-ching! Women will spen hundreds on Perricone, Denese, etc.

Go figure! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 5/16/2013

Last edited on 5/16/2013

TY1368751604.0174090 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007

Shapewear is mostly sized to run on the small size in the first place -- even Spanx. Shapewear is something that needs to be tried on before buying.

I also looked at a Genie Milana bra at Walmart Canada and they only sell it up to a 2X size. I took out the bra from the package and could tell that it runs really small.

TY1368751627.2434090 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007

removing duplicate post...grrrr..

Last edited on 5/16/2013

Last edited on 5/16/2013

lolakimono1368751929.6614412 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

Carol Wior definitely isn't a size 2!

buddylou1368758274.7875052 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

I agree. This is as bad as applying makeup to the models that already have their faces completely made up in advance. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

ive been f­ramed1368800014.572496 PostsRegistered 6/8/2012

I don't know why they use a tape measure anyway. If I can see a noticable difference between the before and afters that should be enough. I don't believe for a second a shaper will reduce you 2 dress sizes or some nonsense, but it will make the clothes you wear fit nicer no matter what size you are.

coco141368800954.7731117 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010

I keep falling for the same spiel over and over - and then have to return the items because they do not work on a larger woman, whether I size up or not - I won't do it again - I have finally learned my lesson. The Genie Cami that was shown recently was so hot, so heavy and, by the end of the day, gave me no support - top was pulled down, the bottom was creeping up - fiasco -

wowee1369069098.7373415 PostsRegistered 4/9/2008phoenix
On 5/16/2013 wowee said:

Here is why!:

and that = $$$.

Couldn't agree with you more Wowee! But QVC and most every other reatiler presents young, thin, beautiful women when 'selling'...ever see a plus size model on a Ripka or Mally show? Or a older or plus size model for any big name brand in magazines or on TV? You never will. I personally find anti-aging product shows ridicullous. Of course I treat and clenase my skin well, but ETHICAL doctors have stated NO cream or serum will remove wrinkles or sagging. BUT! Put a beautiful thin young model on screen, and ca-ching! Women will spen hundreds on Perricone, Denese, etc.

Go figure! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 5/16/2013

I think there are more women who actually believe the claims the BIG names are making and truly truly believe that if something costs alot, it HAS to be good, THEY DO NOT BELIEVE THE DOCS, unless it is their own derm. (who of course is trying to SELL them something) I do not think they think they will look like the models. How many people here believe the hosts when they say they have or use a product? ALOT of gullible women on these boards think that QVC would not sell something that didn't have niraculous results (take the $300 cream made by monks, sells out EVERY time,,,REALLY?) QVC is JUST A RETAILER WHO WILL SELL ANYTHING FOR A BUCK.
Just like all the others, yes, cleanse and a mouisturiser is all you need (and the derms at the hospital I work at, say the clairasonic is a bunch of bunk..way to harsh on your skin, and too deep a clean, stripping it of the good things your skin needs.)

running sh­elby1369076810.7431954 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

They model them on size 2 because they don't really make anyone look slimmer. I think the person wearing them may feel more confident in them.

Everytime I think I need something like a shaper in my wardrobe it is a pretty good indication that I need to focus on my weight and drop a pound or two. The best way to look like I'm wearing a size 2 is to actually fit in it.

jewel31369164408.1071784 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast
And these tiny women wear shapers all the time. What crazy things our culture is doing to women. When I read that shapers can contribute to blood clots and other ills, I decided that exercise and a little jiggle are just fine.

We'll never have significance in this life if it's all about us.

KittyLouWh­oToo1369164903.458156 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013
On 5/16/2013 wowee said:

I am plus size BUT smart enough to know that thin women (who most definately are REAL) have bupms and jiggles they do not like also. If you buy the right size (usually one size up from normal) you will get a nice smooth look without spill over.

I've always thought shapers were just worn to smooth you out under close fitting clothing, not to make you smaller.

That extra "stuff" would have to go somewhere if that were the case.

"Stop telling your big dreams to small minded people" -
Steve Harvey

qualitygal1369165159.8835495 PostsRegistered 11/9/2007

and makeup people are 20 and clothes people are YOUNG. LOL. Their stuff needs to be shown in a good light, and makes it easier to sell.

Maybe a little bit of chocolate will help.

wowee1369167271.753415 PostsRegistered 4/9/2008phoenix
On 5/21/2013 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 5/16/2013 wowee said:

I've always thought shapers were just worn to smooth you out under close fitting clothing, not to make you smaller.

That extra "stuff" would have to go somewhere if that were the case.

That is why I said *****. If you buy the right size (usually one size up from normal) you will get a nice smooth look without spill over.

glmama1369172734.0720183 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006

I agree. However, I also think that some ppl get lured into believing that a shaper will take off or camouflage, oh, about 40lbs! Oh, how I wish this were true!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

Page 1 of 2