TSV(R) Preview
111 Members and 15060 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Lisa did it again tonight, LRS "Diamonique is man made diamonds"

Started 1366430020.427 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1366834713.99 by coco14

Once again LRS is showing an outrageously priced cuff bracelet and get this, twice called Diamonique "man made diamonds."

I personally thought tonight's cuff was horrid (though I bet the original one was incredibly gorgeous and worth all 70k if you've got it to spend) and looked like some sort of dangerous fungal organism, but this time it did have a precious metal, unlike last week's bronze debacle which had pearls and MOP but no precious metals.

What really bugged me was her erroneous declaration that a common CZ was a man made diamond and she repeated this phrase at least two times . As anyone with even basic knowledge of jewelry and gems knows CZs are based on the crystal structure of Zircon (hence the name) not carbon and are definitely not "man made diamonds". She has been hosting forever and she has presented Diamonique shows in the past. She should know this. And she should know the difference between synthetic gemstones which are man made copies of naturally formed gems and simulated stones like CZs. I wonder what the QVC lawyers are going to say about this.

I realize that this has been my second post finding fault with LR and her show in less than 8 days apart. I do not dislike LR and have previously thought that she was a reasonably intelligent woman but these last two shows have made me wonder.....

very fair, red hair, green eyes,
there is no order of difficulties in miracles

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
lobstergal1366430351.13795 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

I highly doubt the QVC lawyers are going to be saying anything about it or your little rant. Most people in this country are more focused on things a bit more important tonight.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

sparklestar1366430641.23710720 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008

We know what she means when she says "man-made diamonds." Everyone knows that by now.

BlingQueen­0221366430656.0074997 PostsRegistered 9/23/2012

If that's a dangerous fungal organism I want some of that!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

manny21366431449.0931786 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009
On 4/19/2013 lobstergal said:

I highly doubt the QVC lawyers are going to be saying anything about it or your little rant. Most people in this country are more focused on things a bit more important tonight.

We are all aware of the suffering going on in this country tonight. All of our hearts are heavy but to belittle a poster for talking about something else is a disgrace. Nobody told you to stop read and post. Maybe you should consider taking this time to become more tolerant of your fellow posters.

sparklestar1366432267.8310720 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008
On 4/19/2013 manny2 said:
On 4/19/2013 lobstergal said:

We are all aware of the suffering going on in this country tonight. All of our hearts are heavy but to belittle a poster for talking about something else is a disgrace. Nobody told you to stop read and post. Maybe you should consider taking this time to become more tolerant of your fellow posters.

With all due respect, I don't think she "belittled" the OP at all.

KDenn1366432355.517391 PostsRegistered 6/4/2010

What Lisa said is correct. Both CZs and stimulated diamonds are both man made. they are just made differently. 'The sim diamond is chemically/molecularly the same as a "natural" (mined) diamond, minus the years and years spent in compression within a mountain (and much cheaper since the diamonds aren't mined). A CZ is a different stone altogether'.

I have several of the hosts say "man made".

Last edited on 4/19/2013

Last edited on 4/19/2013

LBandS1366433539.0031625 PostsRegistered 5/19/2012Pacific Northwest
On 4/19/2013 KDenn said:

What Lisa said is correct. Both CZs and stimulated diamonds are both man made. they are just made differently. 'The sim diamond is chemically/molecularly the same as a "natural" (mined) diamond, minus the years and years spent in compression within a mountain (and much cheaper since the diamonds aren't mined). A CZ is a different stone altogether'.

Last edited on 4/19/2013

"Man made" is correct only for synthetic stones when used in reference to a specific stone, for example, man made sapphires . It implies the same chemical composition, CZ's are not made of carbon and Lisa was wrong. If QVC placed a higher value on the hosts studying gemology they would know that Lisa's use of man made was not appropriate when adding the term to diamonds. I believe Nancy is the only host getting her credential in gemology.

Last edited on 4/20/2013

Last edited on 4/20/2013

very fair, red hair, green eyes,
there is no order of difficulties in miracles

feline fine1366434018.5233178 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012where Phillies fans rule

As this is re: Diamonique jewelry, why didn't you post this in "Jewelry Talk" instead?

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~ Albert Einstein

Buck-i-Nana1366434673.5738188 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio
On 4/19/2013 annnacat said:
On 4/19/2013 KDenn said:

Last edited on 4/19/2013

"Man made" is correct only for synthetic stones when used in reference to a specific stone, for example, man made sapphires . It implies the same chemical composition, CS's are not made of carbon and Lisa was wrong. If QVC placed a higher value on the hosts studying gemology they would know that Lisa's use of man made was not appropriate when adding the term to diamonds. I believe Nancy is the only host getting her credential in gemology.

Wrong. Sorry.

Google it...Lisa is using the same jargon as the manufacturers of many lab-created diamonds.

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

Divine1366434836.133644 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008

According to:

Shailesh N. Humbad
Diamond, Cultured Diamond, and Cubic Zirconia Comparison
http://www.somacon.com/p136.php
Somacon

The primary difference between a lab-created diamond and a cubic zirconia stone is what they are made of. A lab-created diamond is mainly composed of carbon, just like a natural real diamond. The main chemical component of cubic zirconia is not carbon, but zirconium oxide. Cubic zirconia stones may closely resemble diamonds to the naked eye, but are easily identified as cubic zirconia by lab testing. The fact that the two stones are made from different elements means that they are in fact easy for gemstone professionals to distinguish.

Lab-created diamonds, although less expensive than natural mined diamonds, are still much higher in cost than cubic zirconia stones. For example, a one-carat cut natural yellow diamond can cost $20,000. The same lab-created diamond would cost $4,000, but the same simulated one-carat yellow "diamond" in cubic zirconia form would cost less than $20. The lab-created diamond requires much higher production costs to create, as opposed to a cubic zirconia stone of similar size.

Raider Fan1366440360.074471 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

YAY, Devine, you go!!!! Love it! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

AngelLove21366454506.6432631 PostsRegistered 3/2/2007

lobstergal, why aren't you focused on more important things? It baffles me when I read posts like yours. You criticize the OP but you spent time reading the thread and posting...go figure.

Chalcedony1366458618.2631313 PostsRegistered 1/21/2007Northern Virginia
I agree, OP. None of the hosts should be misrepresenting the products they are selling, and calling Diamonique a man-made diamond is doing exactly that. Man-made? Yes. Diamond? No. In my opinion, it's no different that calling Bronzo "man-made rosé gold." Two totally different substances that happen to look like one another.

magicmoodz1366459557.6735310 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008
On 4/20/2013 AngelLove2 said:

lobstergal, why aren't you focused on more important things? It baffles me when I read posts like yours. You criticize the OP but you spent time reading the thread and posting...go figure.

I often wonder why posters don't see the irony. {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Thank you AngelLove2 for saying the first thing that came to my mind.

As for lab-created diamonds, I think of Moissanite, not Diamonique. But I will post a disclaimer that this is only my opinion and if I am wrong, I will stand corrected.

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

kcubed1366459595.131439 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Diamonique stones are not natural diamonds. They are man-made. Everyone knows what Lisa meant. If I had to ramble for several hours about products, I am not sure that I could perfectly articulate every thought. I would hate to think that those watching would pick every sentence apart and question every word choice.

magicmoodz13664603645310 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008
On 4/20/2013 katkins said:

Diamonique stones are not natural diamonds. They are man-made. Everyone knows what Lisa meant. If I had to ramble for several hours about products, I am not sure that I could perfectly articulate every thought. I would hate to think that those watching would pick every sentence apart and question every word choice.

I agree. I could never do it. I often "process" what I am going to say before it comes out of my mouth.

That being said, hosts are paid a handsome salary for their talent and knowledge.

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

violann1366460991.6912924 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Splitting a hair. If something looks like my real diamond and it's beautifully set in 14K, I wann try it on.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

candys mine1366461969.603433 PostsRegistered 8/20/2012

I remember when Cubic Zirconia was a give away in kids cereal boxes. It was clear and refracted the light in white flashes only. No fire to it. I hope that has changed over the years because there was no way you would mistake it for a diamond back then. I've never seen a diamoniuqe show but don't they have to say what the stones really are? After divulging that then I think they can make a more 'Loose interpretation" during the show because they have allready stated the fact. If Lisa called it a man made diamond she was giving it more credit than it deserves.

twopeas1366462633.5234883 PostsRegistered 6/5/2011PNW

IMO, we all knew what Lisa meant. I doubt any of us watching her show wanted a lecture on gemology.

If you always tell the truth you will never have to try and remember what you said before .....

Wink1366462804.72251 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007Philly Suburbs, PA

Who cares? If you like it, buy it. If not, then don't.

TheRealJJ1366463041.05137 PostsRegistered 8/9/2012

I couldn't care less about the correct terminology for Diamonique. I know what it is.

I just have to say that I was blown away by the price of that bracelet. It's not my taste anyhow, but if you asked me what it should cost based on its look, I'd have told you $80 tops. No way on Earth is that thing worth $500.

stevieb1366463415.29330880 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

They're fake diamonds... regardless of what she or anyone else calls them, along with silver and mother of pearl for seven hundred bills. I think we all get that...

Try as she might, the darned thing just wouldn't sell out. Probably because of the price for what it was, and all the many problems others had with the pink opal version, which was prettier...

Personally, I'm not spending that for faux, simulated or man-made anything.

I knew exactly what the bracelet was made of, so no, I can't get indignant about whether she calls Diamonique cubic zirconia or man made diamonds. Fake is fake...

mikki_g1366465139.1431640 PostsRegistered 10/30/2012
Lisa is the easy target. Whatever she says becomes fodder for the haters. She's the one they love to hate. The start of these threads is so predictable. You can set your watch by them.

kcubed1366466706.991439 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

ITA with Stevieb. The stones are fake, regardless of what they are being called.

Sterling + fake stones + mother of pearl should not equal that absurd price.

It is a pretty bracelet. Most all of us have some costume pieces with fake stones that we love. I just don't believe that this bracelet should cost 1/6 of that price when there is nothing expensive in its composition. I can't believe that the Q would even attempt to sell that bracelet for such an absolutely ridiculous price!

wildcat fan1366469310.043626 PostsRegistered 1/18/2010
On 4/20/2013 TheRealJJ said:

I couldn't care less about the correct terminology for Diamonique. I know what it is.

I just have to say that I was blown away by the price of that bracelet. It's not my taste anyhow, but if you asked me what it should cost based on its look, I'd have told you $80 tops. No way on Earth is that thing worth $500.

I feel the same way. Doesn't matter to me what they call it. . .I just know it's not for me, especially at that price.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next