Labor Day Weekend Clearance
25 Members and 8514 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Renee Goldstein

Started 1365304618.743 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1365373192.463 by imaclotheshog

Renee just had her WWC TSV yesterday, I was on QVC UK, she had a TSV in England April 2 for the crop pants and will have an Attitudes TSV there later in April. She's not exaggerating when she says she's on the plane all the time!!! There was a nice interview about her, showing her design studio and sketches on the website.

Page 1 of 1
blessingsf­orall1365305745.59353 PostsRegistered 2/23/2013

I doubt she's actually a designer . Isn't she the one that was fit model that married a successful clothing manufacturer? She's probably just another knock off artist . They see something in a store or magazine and take it to their sample makers then bring it to the Q and present it as their own designs. Just another faux designer.

sunshine451365306192.22740707 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

Fashion Designer Renée Greenstein is the founder of ATTITUDES by Renée®, an apparel and jewelry line headquartered in New York City. One of the best selling fashions and jewelry lines displayed on QVC Home Shopping Network, ATTITUDES by Renée® is a reflection of designer Renée's flair, genuine playfulness and her compelling life experience.

From childhood, Renée developed a passion and a love for people and fashion. In college, she majored in theology but soon realized that this was not going to be her career path. Instead, Renée came to New York City to pursue her interest in fashion. After studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology, Renée became a fitting model in the apparel industry and soon found her niche in dresses and sportswear. Renée was able to communicate to designers and patternmakers how clothes fit and to give suggestions on how clothing could be better made to more properly fit a "real woman". Renée’s knowledge and interests led her through a designer’s path from the ground up; she learned early in her career that there was a difference between what the manufacturer wanted to give the customer and what the customer wanted to wear. These observations helped strengthen Renée’s design perspective and focus. Wherever Renée went, she drew rave reviews on her own jewelry and clothing, most of which she had designed herself. Eventually, Renée set off on a new path and began creating her own collections.

Today, Renée Greenstein has her own fashion company, along with a great team, called ATTITUDES by Renée®. She currently travels from New York to Europe shopping for fabrics and accessories, while researching trends to bring the best styles to her customers that they may express their true selves."My career has taken me to every corner of the world, affording me the opportunity to be with beautiful women from all different walks of life," Renée says. "Something we all have in common is that we have the little bit of 'attitude' that helps us stand out from the rest."

Renée has a philosophy that she applies to her career and everyday life: every woman, no matter what size or shape, has wonderful and unique assets; her clothes and accessories should help her to express herself! Renée’s recipe for style is to start with a woman of any size, shape, or ethnicity; choose what is right for her, something she has created with her ATTITUDES by Renée® line; then add confidence with a dash of attitude; mix well and step out! As Renée Greenstein tells herself and her customers, “Style is not about size, it’s about attitude"™.

Renée’s ATTITUDES by Renée® clothes combine a natural sexy nonchalance with an edgy amusing slant. Drawn from her love of nature, her sense of color and texture lend an added depth to her collections. ATTITUDES by Renée® clients include Midnight Velvet Catalog, Casual Living Catalog, QVC United Kingdom, QVC United States and QVC Germany.

http://www.attitudesbyrenee.com/bio.htm

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

okiebug1365306414.1633631 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008

Sunshine, thanks for the article. I would consider someone with a degree from FIT to be a true designer.

sunshine451365306500.9340707 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 4/6/2013 okiebug said:

Sunshine, thanks for the article. I would consider someone with a degree from FIT to be a true designer.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

i would also..... it sounds like she has been involved with multiple aspects of the fashion industry!

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

blessingsf­orall1365353352.85353 PostsRegistered 2/23/2013
On 4/6/2013 okiebug said:

The public relations piece that was posted here didn't say she finished school or had a degree in fashion design. If she truly sketches her own designs and knows about clothing construction then I would also say she'sa a true designer. Its just that now days, I'm so sick of all sorts of people claiming to be a "designers" when they are nothing more that just stealing the designs of others and taking credit for them.

Cha1k1365355452.5831066 PostsRegistered 2/28/2009

I'm not sure if you'd call Renee a true designer, but to be considered a 'designer' you don't have to have formally studied fashion design. Many famous deisgners don't have degress in fashion design -- Bob Mackie, Karl Lagerfield, Oscar de la Renta. They studied/apprenticed under established designers which sometimes is the very best education.

gonnab1365356356.7972945 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

Oh this is funny! Your title caught my eye because a lady by the same name is a resident of my town, and a property owner in this and surrounding towns. Owns hundreds of apartments, (mostly senior) as well as several commerical buildings, some which are post offices which she then leases to the goverment. This business was started many years ago by her husband and is now managed by her sons. Although she is still listed as owner and manager of the company, she is no longer very active in the management as she is now in advanced age and not in the best of health. Believe me, she is not a fashion designer but sure is a very wealthy landlord!

age 78, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

shan1131365358369.99180 PostsRegistered 5/16/2010

I love where this post started. I love to see women celebrate the success of other women versus tear down or find ways to reduce those successes. While social networks are places to share all opinions (positive or negative), I want to commend those that are positive in this post.

namealread­ytaken1365358827.187678 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Our SS book had a fitting cartoon this morning. Two ladies in the churchyard and one, who looked a bit sulky, said to the other, "Why is it when I point out someone's faults, you always have something good to say about them?" We could use a bit of this here, and myself included.

blessingsf­orall1365361565.14753 PostsRegistered 2/23/2013

I guess I have become very cynical when it comes to these celebrities and other "Designers" coming to the Q and being promoted as sought after designer when so very few are truly designing anything other than there bank accounts. The person that made comment about Bob Mackie, Oscar D' Laurenta, etc.. may be correct and made me rethink my postion on this, clearly one doesn't necessarily have had to officially get a degree in fashion or complete some sort of formal training, it's more that they have actually worked for years in the garment industry design offices where they have learned and honed the skills required, pattern making, sketching, fit, fabrics and how to actual construct the garments. Of course a designer is doesn't needed to actual construct the garment, but it's the knowledge learned from those skills that truly makes a designer. I guess I questioning Rene being touted as clothing designer as originally came on the seen she was portrayed as a "jewelry designer" with one necklace she was selling and then I saw she was being promoted as a clothes designer when she came back with the WIC pants.

Then there's the other designers like a Susan Graver, that appears to have basic fitting skills, years of experience with the manufacturing process and fabric, and she's also a trained artist so she can can draw her own sketches , yet most of her items are "knock offs" of other designers. On the otherhand, I have great respect for those designers that learned their trade through working in the trenches, not those that elevate their status by marriage, celebrity status or net worth.

namealread­ytaken1365361878.327678 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Blessingsforall, unless you are willing to pay multiples of thousands of dollars for custom design by someone like Ralph Lauren, you are not going to get what you want. Even Ralph has a staff of designers and I would say probably is the promoter and adviser, no longer the designer. I am not sure of that, but knowing how things work. Most design houses use budding designers or return to old portfolios for designs. There is nothing new under the sun. Everything has already been designed. It's just a new take on fabrics, colors, combining designs. It's all been done before.

brewhaha1365362784.4842030 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

She's a very busy gal.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

gazelle771365362889.3178620 PostsRegistered 3/1/2013

I give it to her for being a smart business woman and working so hard.... I do not like all the booty dancing and making the models on stage show their rear ends to the camera and such.... so belittling to women in general.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~~Always remember--
You're braver than you believe
And stronger than you seem
And smarter than you think~
~Pooh

songbird1365362998.1731871 PostsRegistered 12/31/2004

She as much as a designer as Susan Graver is one. She simply copies other people work and embelish it somewhat. Everyone calls themselves a designer, even tennis player Serena Williams. With few exceptions, QVC has people that purchase a line, hire some "designers" (people that scketch a known piece of clothing add ruffles and drapery to it) and put a lable on it with their name on it. All you need is the captial to create the line. The new "designer" becomes the sales person for the line.

gazelle771365363521.6338620 PostsRegistered 3/1/2013

it is just extra money in their pockets. They are not expert fashion designers or jewelry designers.... people just show them stuff and they pick out what they want. That is why the lines come and go so fast. Most of the jewelry lines are junk jewelry- awful cheap stuff for a quick buck. The Kardashian's selling on the Q is one example of such in fashion- fast cheap turnaround to sell something with their name on it. I am sure the Mother had a lot to do with that deal... she would sell her soul for a buck.

~~Always remember--
You're braver than you believe
And stronger than you seem
And smarter than you think~
~Pooh

blessingsf­orall1365364106.0853 PostsRegistered 2/23/2013
On 4/7/2013 gazelle77 said:

I give it to her for being a smart business woman and working so hard.... I do not like all the booty dancing and making the models on stage show their rear ends to the camera and such.... so belittling to women in general.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Your right! She's a business person backed by her very successful clothing manufacture company owned by her husband that has put her in business as the front person/designer.

Namealreadytaken, I don't think you necessarily have to spend thousands on buying original designer pieces. I guess I'm sensitive to this as I have no respect for those without creativity that steal the designs of others. And your correct some of the biggest designers do have apprentice's and teams working for them, but they have already proven their talents and skills. Which is completely different than someone hiring a team to "knock off" the designs of other real designers.

Divine1365364214.743501 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008

>>>After studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology, Renée became a fitting model in the apparel industry and soon found her niche in dresses and sportswear.<<<<<</em>

I wonder if she graduated? She certainly is an accomplished woman no matter if you consider her a real designer, or not. I just wish her clothes fit me. I guess I'm not built like a "real woman." lol...

Edited to remove some weird coding that I didn't add...

Last edited on 4/7/2013

Last edited on 4/7/2013

blessingsf­orall1365364769.03353 PostsRegistered 2/23/2013
On 4/7/2013 Divine said:

>>>After studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology, Renée became a fitting model in the apparel industry and soon found her niche in dresses and sportswear.<<<<<</em>

I wonder if she graduated? She certainly is an accomplished woman no matter if you consider her a real designer, or not. I just wish her clothes fit me. I guess I'm not built like a "real woman." lol...

Edited to remove some weird coding that I didn't add...

Last edited on 4/7/2013

The way it's written, it could be she took a class at the FIT. I've not been impressed with her line so far. I think most of tops are more like maternity wear and I thought the TSV pleated top she had a month ago was ghastly for most women. Although, I do wear her pants for yoga.

namealread­ytaken1365365895.757678 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 4/7/2013 blessingsforall said:

Your right! She's a business person backed by her very successful clothing manufacture company owned by her husband that has put her in business as the front person/designer.

Namealreadytaken, I don't think you necessarily have to spend thousands on buying original designer pieces. I guess I'm sensitive to this as I have no respect for those without creativity that steal the designs of others. And your correct some of the biggest designers do have apprentice's and teams working for them, but they have already proven their talents and skills. Which is completely different than someone hiring a team to "knock off" the designs of other real designers.

Original designer pieces can run into the thousands. I don't think St John suits are original even. I think they are done within the design house and look at their prices, in the thousands for a whole suit.

blessingsf­orall1365366303.7153 PostsRegistered 2/23/2013

Of course designer items are usually in the thousands and that doesn't mean it's a one and only either. The point I was trying to make is that we should have higher level of expectation from these vendors, if we expect little, believe me we will get even less.

Perkup1365367720.656258 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008

I can't respect or even acknowledge her "expertise" or "hard work" as long as she continues with her disgusting on air behavior. I totally agree with you gazelle77, she does very definitely belittle women in general with her booty shaking. Imagine going into a nice B&M store and having a sales person stick their bottom out and wiggle it in your face to sell you a pair of pants. I'd give her a boot to the butt!!

Blondilocks1365371584.683856 PostsRegistered 3/13/2007Home

I remember her as the vendor for citi knits before Miranda. I dont own anything from her line so I cant judge it but I dont care for the large amount of spandex she puts in her clothes.

imaclothes­hog1365373192.46321492 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

I like Renee but I don't like the dancing that she and the models do when they are doing a presentation. It's just not necessary. She is a very good vendor tho and she describes the products really well. She brings some great things to QVC, I have many of her items. She has some cute tops. I wish she would expand the Attitudes line.

I like the fabric she uses for the WWC line, and I like the spandex. It's just enough to feel snug but not tight. The only problem I have with the line is that they can NEVER keep the black in stock in most of their popular styles! I hate that. I have been waiting almost a year for the tall bell pants to come back in black. So annoying!

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

Page 1 of 1