Meant for Mom(SM)
15 Members and 8951 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

♫SHOPAHOLIC FRIENDS ODAT TGIF HOBBIT WEEKEND!!♫

Started 1355504414.777 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1355631506.41 by baby burns

Lest you thought I wasn't excited about my movie, lol!

How are all my friends today? I ate too many candies at work and now I'm sleepy. I have too much work to do to be sleepy.

Not sure what supper will be tonight, but there is leftover meatloaf and it was pretty darn good. DH is doing inventory all weekend so I might not see him much.

As a side note, prayers for those folks at the school in Conneticut - very disturbing and sad.

Shopping - I got 2 cute tops in the mail. 1 is too small and will exchange it tomorrow if the bigger size fits and is available. The other is cute but I just don't love it, so will likely return. They were a 50% off deal "days of Christmas savings" that I couldn't pass up.

I also have a gift to get for DH and grocery shopping this weekend. What are you all doing?

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

Page 1 of 1
HappyVal1355507025.763635 PostsRegistered 6/9/2011

Today is not the day for this web site to pop me off whenever I hit some random key thus losing all my post! I'm just not feeling up to trying a third time!!

And Kathleen, thanks for starting us, but may I suggest something? When you title your post with special characters it makes it very difficult to search for "shopaholic" from the search box. I'm not sure if anyone else has had problems finding the post, but thought I'd suggest it since that snags me every time.

I'm fighting the blues and I have been for the last couple of days. There's no big reason, but maybe just lots of little ones that have piled up. Do any of you have that experience of just feeling like a good cry and you don't know why? That's how I feel and I think I'm just gonna feel bad until I get it over and done with! Some writer once said that she didn't fight the blues. When they hit, she crawled under a blanket and wrapped herself around it and took it in completely. At least I know that it's temporary, but just hopes this passes soon.

I did order a polka dot dress from SG in black (<a href="http://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Ponte-Knit-Flocked-Polka-DotDress-Black,Large.product.A228080.html?upsh=1&sc=A228080-CSWB">A228080</a>).

I hope all of you have a wonderful day, and I thank you so much for being there. I really look forward to such a great group of ladies.

kensyd1355507098.861413 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007

I feel sick to my stomach watching the report on the shooting. What drives people to do this?? My heart goes out to all of those families.

Kathleen, I seem to buying myself a gift everytime I buy someone else a gift. I do still have some shopping left to do but it's mostly gift cards so I will wait until next week.

Kendall comes home on Monday and I am very excited to have her home. Shane is working alot and Sydney is being a tempermental 15 year old so it will be nice to have her here.

I'm actually going out with my mom and dad tonight so this should be interesting...I always feel like a kid again when I am with them.

I got my hair cut and colored yesterday..I'm really liking the darker color.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

ksmitty281355507344.0131064 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010

Hi Ladies!!! Kathleen, looks like a slow morning here. I tend to over-indulge sometimes with sweets and always regret it, hope you get some energy. When are you going to the movie?? I haven't been to one in forever, usually wait for pay-per-view or one of the cable channels to see them. I still have some gifts to buy...will try to get that done this weekend.

Just hearing some of the details on the shooting...absolutely heartbreaking and senseless. 27 dead, 14 of them, children, just unreal on so many levels. Keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

So very sad...

PAlady1355507361.3071375 PostsRegistered 4/27/2010

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Kathleen - Thank you for starting us today. DH and I went grocery shopping and I took my car to the carwash and washed and swept it out. The dog hair in the car was driving me crazy. Sorry the top did not fit, hope you find one that does. I feel your pain about the candy, I always think I will eat just one and well you know how that goes. Hope you get to see DH, I used to have to do inventory in a bookstore, talk about time consuming.

Val - Sorry you aren't feeling so peppy, I hope this passed quickly. Hope the dress works out for you, I really am trying not to buy clothes online, I always have to send it back for a different size, so I end up ordering two sizes and send one back. I know waste of postage.

Off to wrap the rest of the presents here, I can't stand all this stuff sitting around. Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

ksmitty281355507836.7731064 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010

Val - I get like that from time to time, and, I don't fight it anymore...just look to stay by myself a bit and get that "good cry" out of the way. It usually hits me around the holidays, so I'm waiting. I hope it passes quickly for you...and I agree, this is a great group of ladies.

Nancy - happy for you that Kendall will be home soon...Thursday for Timothy and I'll be happy to have him home, for sure. We are hoping Michael gets home for a dinner or 2 while he is home, and then we have to hope Victoria is off then too...it's getting harder and harder to have a "family dinner". I still have shopping to do too...hoping to finish this weekend. Enjoy tonight with your parents, funny how they make us feel like kids. I guess we'll do that to ours one day too!

Rock_chick1355508314.5978318 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

Val - I had no idea about the special characters and will keep that in mind next time I post!! Thank you for telling me. I am pretty emotional and I get like that probably every month, a good time to watch a really sad movie but I cry at the drop of a hat anyway.

Off to find some lunch!

FunkyHulaG­irl1355511136.226024 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

Hi girls!

It's another gorgeous day out; I have to mail a package, drop off my textbook at UPS, and then I have to finish my school work - it's the last day of the semester! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Angel is adapting well; when he sees me coming towards him he rolls on his back and offers his belly to me to scratch - he loves that. {#emotions_dlg.wub} We've also graduated to doggy kisses. He's still a picky eater, although the cheap hot dogs I got in Aldi's (75 cents a package) are a big hit; the chicken chunks I gave him for breakfast are still in his bowl, though. I guess dogs are like men - the wrong one can make your life heII, but the right one is a joy to have around. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} It's soooo nice to not be on-edge and cussing all the time; I feel like I'm getting the normal "me" back.

Yesterday I got an email reminding me that my mortgage was due; it's normally due on the 15th, and since it's on a Saturday this month, I had planned to pay it on-line today as I usually do, after I made a deposit to my bank. I ended up rushing to the Wells Fargo in Ft. Oglethorpe to pay it with part check, part cash (sigh). I remembered to call HH Gregg, and they told me to fax them receipts for the food I replaced (up to $250), so I went to Aldi's as it was just down the road from the bank. Let me tell you - it's very difficult to spend a lot of money there! I had a cart loaded with 10 pounds of butter, 10 packages of cream cheese (I keep a lot on hand for my baking for the troops), cream, imported Irish & English cheeses, as well as domestic, premium bacon and all kinds of steaks and meats....and it still came to only about $100! {#emotions_dlg.scared} I'll probably go to Costco and Publix tomorrow for the things that Aldi's doesn't carry. Even though I was right near Hamrick's and Beall's Outlet - two of my favorite stores - I had no desire to go into either of them; there's absolutely nothing that I need. I don't recall ever being so uninterested in shopping.

Hope you're feeling better, Val; it's not unusual for the blues to hit during the holiday season - so many expectations, so much pressue. Go have some chocolate - the endorphins in it will make you feel better! Or, go out and buy some things for Toy for Tots - you'll feel good knowing you made someone's Christmas better, and if you hand it to a handsome Marine in person, that alone will give you a lift. Wink I'll say a prayer for you too. Smile

So sad about that school shooting; things sure have been getting progressively worse since prayer has been prohibited in schools. {#emotions_dlg.sad} I guess there will be another push for gun control, when in reality, had a law-abiding citizen had a gun, the killer might have been stopped sooner. Maybe it's time to start arming teachers.

There are a couple of movies I wouldn't mind seeing (No, The Hobbit isn't one of them!), but the last time I went to one back in October, there were a bunch of commercials that were quite suggestive and repulsive; I might just wait until they're available on Netflix - I don't need to feed my mind trash.

Guess I'd better stop procrastinating and get this homework done - have a blessed day, everyone!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

livehealthy1355516873.492674 PostsRegistered 2/18/2007

Hi, ladies. I so hate what is happening in our country and in the world, but I honestly believe it's going go get much worse. When we learn that "it's all about us", people are going to get hurt left and right. Makes me long for Heaven. I can't even begin to imagine what the families, friends and anyone involved with the shooting are going through and will go through. I pray they have faith in the Lord and a strong support system.

Val, so sorry you're experiencing the blues. I can get that way every once in a while, but mine is totally hormone driven and thankfully doesn't last long. I pray for peace and joy for you. God can definitely provide both.

Kathleen, glad you're returning the tops that don't work. Have you worn that dress you bought the other day. I know you said it was kind of tight, so I was wondering if it was going to work out. Such a hard decision!!! Did you do your 14 pushups today=) I just met a friend at the gym for cardio and then did some ab work and pt stuff.

Nancy, I bet it's so much fun to hang out with your DD now that she's a little older and kind of on her own. I've been awful about shopping for myself this season too. It's hard to pass up some of the really great deals, especially when I don't have many other people to buy for. I'm already thinking about household items I need to start looking at in January! Yikes!

Karen, amazing how hard it is to plan things together when everyone starts working and going their own way. Hope you guys have some good get togethers in the next couple weeks. I almost prefer going to a movie on a date because I have a hard time making myself settle down for a couple hours to watch a movie here at home. We'll keep Netflix movies for a month or more sometimes!

Susan, I don't do much clothes buying online either. Too hard to get the right fit! I wish I could wash my car, but we got a little snow/rain mix earlier, so until the road dries completely, there's not much point. I'd actually rather have more moisture than a clean car, just because we need it=)

Arlene, I've actually been thinking about getting my carry permit. MANY people I know carry around here. You definitely wouldn't want to come in and try to shoot up our church (or probably most any other place up here). Glad you're almost finished with school. I guess Aldi's must not have much food because it sure doesn't take me long to spend over $100.

Well, we're supposed to meet a few friends for dinner, music, and dancing tonight. DH came home sick (sounds horrible), but he claims he still wants to go. I've been trying to stay away from him as much as possible. LOL. I need to do some more house cleaning, and I think I may just veg and read for a little if I have time before I get cleaned up.

Last edited on 12/14/2012

Rock_chick1355517567.4678318 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

Sonya, I took that dress back. I tried to make it work with several things and it just did not. I love love loved it but decided I just need to wait for the right dress the right size! DD and I do our pushups together at night, so I haven't done 14 yet!

I'm so sad about the news. So so sad.

Nancy, "Wanty" whispers this time of year a LOT. Today I went to the outlet at lunch and got the girls some socks I'd been eyeing online while they were 40% off (Am Eagle). I did go to the Brighton store and really love a pair of earrings (a bar and a pearl, one bar says "Forever" and the other "Friends") but would have to buy a pair for my forever friend and couldn't think of anyone. :(

Karen, I will go Saturday morning and they have it in 3D too!! Can't wait. Will you have a big crowd for Christmas then, with everyone home? Does Michael work all the time and sleep at the hospital like they do on ER? :) I mean Gray's. lol

livehealthy1355517840.272674 PostsRegistered 2/18/2007

Kathleen, you don't think DH will wear half of the jewelry? lol I have several friends, and a couple that I can really talk to and count on, but DH is by far my best friend. I don't have one of those best friends from childhood that I'm still really close too. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of women who have that, but I do think it's pretty rare.

Rock_chick1355518438.1338318 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

Sonya that's a good point. Maybe I could talk him into buying them and putting them in my stocking. See, I've learned that most jewelry that I buy for myself just doesn't have the meaning or significance that other jewelry does. I have a several "forever friends" including a few of you here, but I also don't have that "best friend" relationship with one woman. And of the friends that I have, I can't think of any that would love the earrings like I do.

FunkyHulaG­irl1355519956.426024 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

Well, I'm back from the PO, and there was a guy who held the door for me who smelled sooooo good - like friend chicken! I told him that, and it turned out he works at a place called Heavenly Wings, so guess what I had for lunch? The chicken was pretty good, but the sauce a little too spicy. I'd go there again, but get a different sauce next time.

Sonya, Aldi's has a huge selection, especially at this time of year, but the prices there are INSANE! Offhand (that I remember) I got 10 pounds of butter, 10 packages of cream cheese, 4 dozen eggs, 2 containers each of sour cream and heavy cream, a package each of boneless chicken breasts, cube steaks, sirloin steaks, stew meat, and ground beef, 2 imported cheeses from Ireland, 2 from England, 4-5 packages of domestic cheeses, 2 half gallons of lactose-free milk, and, I think, a couple of other little things. All their products are top quality, better than you can get almost anywhere else. I can't get over that store - in Hawaii the same amount of food would have cost me $400 or more.

I went to a church here that offered classes is shooting; a lot of people here carry. I've seen signs in store windows that tell people to buy their guns while they can.

I also envy those who have friends they've been close to since childhood. I found the girl I grew up with who used to lived across the hall and my best friend from high school, but they live in the NE and both are married with kids, so we have little in common anymore. My BFF is one I met when I lived in Hawaii, but she's in California now; I haven't seen her in about 5 years, although we talk on the phone a couple of times a week.

OK, I'm procrastinating again....I guess I'd better get this work done. I just realized my Christmas baked goods have to shipped by Wednesday, so I need to get moving.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

FunkyHulaG­irl1355520434.5376024 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

I just heard 22 children have been slashed at a school in China; I'm posting the story to my website. We have all the latest news there: The Harpazo Forum.

You're absolutely right, Sonya...it's only going to get worse and worse - but it's all a sign of the Lord's soon return.

ksmitty281355521233.5731064 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010

Kathleen - I am not sure how many I will have Christmas eve...anywhere from 11 to 20, not sure on my brother and his family and my SIL and her family. Christmas day will be very quiet. I may just go to my Mom's or I may stay home. Michael does sleep at the hospital sometimes and is working long hours but learning alot and doing alot, so he is happy. My brother, who is an anesthesiologist actually sleeps at the hospital more...he is on call 2 weekends a month and a couple of other days. I'm not sure if it's like tv or not...LOL.

I another who doesn't have a best friend from childhood. I do miss some of my friends but, we grew apart, moved away and I guess, life just got in the way. I have met some really nice women where I live through my children who I am fairly close with and, of course, my friends here!!

LindaLatte1355524103.0774216 PostsRegistered 8/16/2007
Good Evening! I think dinner will be ready soon, but I thought I should stop by. The shootings in CT have me feeling very sad. We finally turned off the news because it is just too hard to take. The Christmas music is much better. I ended up having a busy day. Went to the bank to get some cash for gifts, then to the dollar store to get gift bags, etc., then to a shoe store (found nothing), and Kohl's. Wow! I hadn't been to Kohl's for quite a while, and then very little was on sale. They were having all sorts of sales today, and I ended up with PJ's for DD and me, plus a cardigan (sparkly) for me. Guess I'm one who is indulging myself this time of year. My friend called to say she was finished her volunteer job early, so we met for lunch rather than coffee. Oops, got to go. Hope everyone sleeps well. Hugs, Linda

baby burns1355631506.388793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

rock chick, glad i was not the only one out shopping today, so many great sales!!! i was so upset about the children getting killed, that my husband insisted i get out of the house. i take those things so seriously, i always think, what if it was my child, do not know if i could live with it. ok happy thoughts, went to bocovs today, they had sooo many sales, bought some more boots, gold toe socks, were on sale, so i stocked up on them, then i buy the cordrol, spelling?? tights by hue, and they make great pants, better then most! it did do me good to get out and about today! in our family, when you get the blues around christmas, then you have to have, your christmas cry. i do not know about other people but i always do it, as did my mom, sister, ect. just something about christmas! ok nice chatting with you, stay happy!!

Page 1 of 1