Back-in-Stock Fashions
53 Members and 10880 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

"Matchy-matchy" is out, BUT............

Started 1355347236.887 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1356327473.343 by BurbankKate

..........I wonder if the fashion Powers That Be have gone too far with the fashion free-for-all? I realize that belts, bags, and shoes don't have to match any more, and I'm happy to play with mixing colors and patterns in creative ways. But one look at the latest copy of Lucky Magazine made me wonder if there are any meaningful guidelines any more? Stripes mixed with florals, outfits with tops, bottoms, shoes, tights, and accessories in a dizzying hodgepodge of patterns and colors, short-shorts with bare legs and sandals worn with wooly winter accessories.........I mean, what gives? Some of the models in the magazine looked like crazy bag ladies!!

Don't we still need at least a modicum of sense and restraint in coordinating fashions and accessories?

Page 1 of 2
Rock_chick1355347321.698708 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

Yes. No one around here dresses like Lucky Magazine models. :)

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

Topaz Gem1355347414.5316001 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

Very well stated, GoodStuff. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

Nancy Drew1355347486.5835619 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Actually matchy matchy is making a come back according to stylist.

Please don't put me in a timeout.

GoodStuff1355348283.8515206 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Apparently the people at Lucky haven't received the styists' memo.

Page Turner1355348601.557927 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007"More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"

I've never left "matchy matchy" nor have I ever spoken those words outloud after 3rd grade. No one where I live dresses like Lucky Magazine either, and for that I'm thankful, LOL!

shoptillId­rop1355348663.1239404 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan
I think the 'powers that be' will put any look together, call it high fashion, and count on us falling for the newest must haves. I'm learning to count on my own style, and I'm pretty happy with it. I agree GoodStuff.

I tried being patient but it took too long.

fromthebro­nx1355348878.671078 PostsRegistered 2/22/2011

A little "matchy-matchy" is good. I just can't wait to see if I see anybody here in New York actually wearing those looks!

JustJazzmom1355349767.4728194 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

I'm from New York and I never dress like I got dressed in the dark!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Trying to pass mixing of patterns on us and calling it high fashion is ridiculous!!

The Story of the Emperor's New Clothes comes to mind when I read the OP.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

magicmoodz1355349979.6035207 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

I do love a little dichotomy in fashion -- i.e., lace with fine woolen tweeds or plaids, etc. That being said, I, too, have heard that matchy-matchy is on its way back to being fashion forward.

I can't wait to see what those who have chastised me as being irrelevant in liking matching shoes and handbag have to say when it's plastered all over their favorite fashion mag!

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

wilma1355357222.5713144 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 12/12/2012 magicmoodz said:

I can't wait to see what those who have chastised me as being irrelevant in liking matching shoes and handbag have to say when it's plastered all over their favorite fashion mag!

I am old enough to have seen several trends come, go, and come back again. I like to shop and look at fashion like most of us here do, but this whole idea of being irrevelant in terms of fashion is perpetuated by the industry. The only reason trends and styles come and go is to trick us into thinking we are irrevelant in terms of fashion. The fashion industry perpetuates this because some of us will buy the "newer" trends in fashion which will pump money into the industry and allow these fashion "experts" and "predictors" to keep their jobs.

faeriemoon1355358853.9676381 PostsRegistered 5/13/2005

I love creativity, but I'm not a fan of chaos.

My dentist told me I need a crown. I was like, I KNOW, RIGHT!?! ~Pinterest~

StylishLady1355359071.284041 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009Florida

Clashing mixes of colors and hues for me was never IN. I've gone head to toe in some colors, notably black, but I also like to mix colors and shades that are complimentary.

magicmoodz1355363695.135207 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008
On 12/12/2012 wilma said:
On 12/12/2012 magicmoodz said:

I am old enough to have seen several trends come, go, and come back again. I like to shop and look at fashion like most of us here do, but this whole idea of being irrevelant in terms of fashion is perpetuated by the industry. The only reason trends and styles come and go is to trick us into thinking we are irrevelant in terms of fashion. The fashion industry perpetuates this because some of us will buy the "newer" trends in fashion which will pump money into the industry and allow these fashion "experts" and "predictors" to keep their jobs.

I agree completely with your comments about the fashion industry dictating to us what is or is not in style. That is their job.

However, I am confident that those women who would belittle someone who happens to carry a black handbag while wearing black shoes did the same 10 years ago and will do it again in 2 years*.

*In 2 years when the fashion industry dictates to them that when they wear black shoes and carry a red purse they are soooooooooo 2012! LOL

~ Warren Buffett ~

BurbankKate1355363905.7676188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

I remember when I saw this on sunday reading my magazine; with the floral beige skirt, plaid shirt, some kind of neon t shirt under the plaid, crazy socks and the bag was bright, I thought the model looked like a cartoon character. Yes, it did go too far in that pictorial...I don't think anyone in their right mind would dress that kooky..unless, of course, they were indeed a bag lady !! BTW..pitched the mag in the trash after just looking thru it once...not worth bothering with.

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

magicmoodz1355365912.15207 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008
On 12/12/2012 faeriemoon said:

I love creativity, but I'm not a fan of chaos.

faeriemoon ~ You said it best!

~ Warren Buffett ~

baby burns1355366593.5538793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

i got s kick out of my lucky magazine!! i take the pieces themselves, and think how i would wear them. come on now, no one still matchs shoes, do they??? we have all stepped out of the box soom, its winter and we are wearing, bright colors, instead of draging aroud in black and brown all winter. i agree i do build outfits, but not this crazy! i wear colord jeans, sometimes a surprise color sweater or top and some of my crazy shoes and boots. i would not be good enough for lucky magazine!! fashion is fun, and that is the way to think of it, now what different can i do with this same old plain white blouse, or wear a color shoe, mess your hair up, by that i mean i fix mine, then put my head, upside down, run my fingers through it, that is how it stays all day!!! having fun now!!!

clista1355392759.4731099 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/12/2012 JustJazzmom said:

I'm from New York and I never dress like I got dressed in the dark!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Trying to pass mixing of patterns on us and calling it high fashion is ridiculous!!

The Story of the Emperor's New Clothes comes to mind when I read the OP.

Very well said. I don't like one color shoes, and another color handbag. I guess I am jusst old fashioned. I always try to be well put together. I also am very tired of animal print on EVERYTHING. I have some lovely jewelry and don't need embellishment, sequins, beads, etc.

I just got George Simonton's swing coat in gray, it is so classy and beautiful. I also just got LL Bean pea coat in navy, No bling or animal print on either. Good design in my opinion doesn't require the embellishments

UpTooEarly1355399290.243853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011

Fashion is just a fun and creative hobby for some of us and I see fashion magazines more as inspiration than exact guides. You might take just one idea from a crazy outfit.

MarilynM1355400637.552403 PostsRegistered 4/27/2008
On 12/12/2012 GoodStuff said:

..........I wonder if the fashion Powers That Be have gone too far with the fashion free-for-all? I realize that belts, bags, and shoes don't have to match any more, and I'm happy to play with mixing colors and patterns in creative ways. But one look at the latest copy of Lucky Magazine made me wonder if there are any meaningful guidelines any more? Stripes mixed with florals, outfits with tops, bottoms, shoes, tights, and accessories in a dizzying hodgepodge of patterns and colors, short-shorts with bare legs and sandals worn with wooly winter accessories.........I mean, what gives? Some of the models in the magazine looked like crazy bag ladies!!

Don't we still need at least a modicum of sense and restraint in coordinating fashions and accessories?

I don't think these photo's have anything to do with what designers design or present on runways. These mixed up messes are the result of some mad stylists who have to make their own statement. I guess it works because it gets attention, but it is a MESS.

Brinklii1355402414.7410278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
On 12/12/2012 GoodStuff said:

Didn't you get the memo? The "Bag Lady-Chic" look is in.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

namealread­ytaken1355413473.27741 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

It seems to me that Lucky magazine is intended for the worshipers of the Hollywood set, who awake after a long night of partying, already late for their appointment or job, they put on whatever is nearby before bathing, brushing their teeth or coming their hair. Then some nitwit saw Julia Roberts' unshaved underarms, Halle Berry or Brittany Spears dressed like a clown and thought it was cool and now they all think it is some kind of new style, without thinking what it really is, no attention to grooming or detail.

Last edited on 12/13/2012

Ladybug7241355414114.3974812 PostsRegistered 11/13/2007

I would never take any fashion advice from Lucky Mag--except maybe to do the opposite of what they show

chrystaltr­ee1355414642.0812717 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

There are no "guidelines" in this area because there are no "fashion experts". It's all opinion and the "experts" guide us along certain paths because that's what they get PAID to do. Hence the "matchy matchy" foolishness. It's okay to mix metals, fabrics and colors now because the fashion industry wants to buy stuff. That haphazard way of dressing might work for celebrities and women who work in fashion but it doesn't always work for the average woman. I still and always will match or coordinate my bags with my shoes and my belts. I still coordinate my jewelry. It's either a white metal day or yellow metal day or a rose metal day. I don't mix metals. Needless to say, I didn't buy into color blocking. No, I didn't not wear my red top with a royal blue skirt and yellow shoes. I do what works for me, I wear what makes me feel good and I wear the way I want to wear it. Not that I'm immune to all the fashion chatter that surrounds me. I have loosened up a bit with coordinating my bags/shoes. But my belts always match my shoes/boots.

running sh­elby1355438904.6571954 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

I think Fashion trends are more meaningful than some would like to acknowledge.

magicmoodz1355440365.2475207 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008
On 12/13/2012 running shelby said:

I think Fashion trends are more meaningful than some would like to acknowledge.

Meaningful to whom?

~ Warren Buffett ~

Page 1 of 2