Keurig Offer
105 Members and 10805 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Shopaholics One Day at a TIme 12/12/12

Started 1355330839.33 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1355348923.59 by HappyVal

Good Morning Ladies:

Not much going on in my world today. I went to a visitation last night. I am friends with two of his daughters and know and love his wife. It was full of love and a very nice. He had been ill for a while and passed on Sunday. He was ready to go home and made the decision to be taken off the ventilator. His daughter felt that it was a blessing that her Mom didn't have to make the decision. I so agree--he was at peace with it and ready. He had an opportunity to see all his kids and brothers and sisters and a few of the great grands got to see him also. I wasn't able to attend the services but had a nice visit with his wife.

Our weather is warming up a bit---I think a freeze again tonight and then warmer.

LindaL: glad that you had a good trip to Maryland. I know the kids change each time you see them. Growing up quickly.

Everyone have a blessed day.

Page 1 of 1
Rock_chick1355331814.5978616 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

Hello friends!! God bless you Linda!! Was so happy to come here and "see" your name! lol I know that probably sounds silly, but there you go. Have been dealing with negative ppl this morning. You how a couple of negatives can rub off on the whole bunch. And it got the best of me. Trying to shake it off.

I slept great until someone yapped me awake at 4:30. She wont really go unless you walk her down the steps so not sure if she didn't go last night or what, but Praise the Lord for footed pj's!! :) I made muffins and brought them to work, delicious. I brought a special little loaf for a couple ladies then another said she wanted one and I felt bad. I told her to come in the office and get a muffin but she didn't.

I have a lot of work to do, lots going on over the "break". Finally looking forward to more Christmas activities. I hope to finish the jam tonight. The tree is ready to be decorated and I have a handful of cards left to send, mostly done. Yay! Tonight supper is meatloaf and baked potatoes. What else is new??

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

fbm2lsm1355333198.4532599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010

There is truly not much going on here, college towns tend to clear out this time of year.

I have been planning my Christmas Eve menu and making out my grocery list for this. The weather has gotten cold. Tonight we have the fellowship meal at church, I always enjoy this.

My DH just just insured a local store that sell nothing but handmade candies. He had to go there to get some paperwork finalized and brought me 2 dark chocolate mint truffles. They tasted great and were so pretty, they were topped with crushed candy cane. Of course they were $1.50 apeice, but a wonderful treat.

This weekend I am going to bake 12 small pound cakes and wrap them for my son to give to people in his office. I am making 6 chocoate and 6 lemon sour cream. I love to do things like this, looking forward to getting started. My DH went to the grocery store Tuesday so I have al lmy ingredients. Going to the store is the worst part to me.

I hope that everyone is having a good day.

Rember if You are going to be dumb You had better be tough

PAlady1355333260.8271523 PostsRegistered 4/27/2010

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

LindaR - Thank you for starting us today. I am very sorry about your friend, I think it would be very hard to make the decision he made. We woke up to 25 degrees this morning, it is now a balmy 35, but the sun is out so that does make a difference. Not much going on at this end of the world, I do have to wrap some gifts today, usually I am done by now, just can't get into the groove.

Kathleen - Sorry you were up so early today, the muffins sound wonderful, please send some this way. As for the lady who did not go get a muffin, her loss, it was nice of you to bring them in in the first place. Don't feel bad.

Well off to get some caffine and do something constructive here, I have to sweep after putting up the Christmas decorations last night. Have a good afternoon everyone.

ksmitty281355333289.6331111 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010

Hi Ladies!!! We are in the midst of a cold spell, which is normal for December in NY and it actually feels refreshing. So many have been sick lately, maybe the cold air will get rid of it...we can hope.

LindaR - the visitation sounds lovely...always sad when someone is called "home" but, sounds like he was ready for that better place and his family is at peace...what a lucky family.

Kathleen- shake off those bad vibes...they'll get you if you let them!! Wish I had some of your muffins today, they sound wonderful. I haven't even thought about cards, so you're way ahead of me. I don't send many and usually do a picture card...guess, I better look through and see if I have something to use. The last two years, I sent New Year's cards, since I ran out of time and energy. My girl is doing better now that she is on antibiotics...$300 plus later, but she was not feeling well so it was worth it. She is prone to urinary tract infections and sure enough, she has another one. We slept through last night, thank goodness.

LindaL - glad to see you're safely in Maryland. I'm sure they were all thrilled to see you!!!

Arlene - I haven't had any dogs that want to get a bath...but, Samantha is so good once you get her in. We take her in the stall shower with our bathing suit on, whoever the lucky one is.

We had a really nice time last night at the game...our Nets lost but, the arena is so nice and dinner was great. Michael didn't get there until late...busy day at the hospital. I just finished reorganizing my "to do" list to make time to do some cleaning at my Mother's. The eye doctor doesn't want her doing anything strenuous until the hemorrhage fully heals. Of course, she is not happy about it but, my gang and I will get over there and do what needs to be done (not much in my opinion as it is always spotless but, I'm sure she'll have a list). So, today, I will be cleaning out the laundry room and putting tinsel on my second tree...so exciting!! Well, better get moving so I can get out on time. Enjoy!!!

PAlady1355333328.5271523 PostsRegistered 4/27/2010

Rosa - Please send a couple pound cakes this way. Thanks.

ksmitty281355333512.961111 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010

Wow...all this baking is making my mouth water...wish you all lived closer!!!

fbm2lsm1355333646.2772599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010
On 12/12/2012 PAlady said:

Rosa - Please send a couple pound cakes this way. Thanks.

Done!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Rock_chick1355338117.4578616 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

Susan, sending you a muffin - wish they would keep and I would send y'all a few! i bet the house looks great, did you decorate yourself?

Rosa those pound cakes sound delicious!

Karen, poor Samantha was sick? I didn't mind Kyanne - she is so sweet and slowly becoming obedient. I tell her to get in her house and she goes, very slowly. She is used to being on the carpet so we have to get onto her a lot to get back in the kitchen but she is learning. I have the box that my digital piano came in that separates the 2 rooms. So we close it if we need to and she whines and jumps up to look over. So cute. Yesterday she pulled her blankets out of her crate. I had DD put the old comforter outside and DH said she made a mess of it.

My cards went out late last year, after Christmas with no newsletter. Usually I have them ready right after Thanksgiving but the ones I like are harder and harder to find. Need to start looking right away so I can have them ready to go early next year.

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

FunkyHulaG­irl1355339237.7576726 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

Hi girls!

It's another bright, sunny day - I'm getting more and more back to my old self, not stressed out and yelling all the time....although I'm praying that Lexie & Lilli get the perfect home for them soon. Angel spent the night beside my bed again, and when I got up to go to the bathroom early this morning I let him out. He's being finicky about his food - he'll look at the canned food for a while before he finally eats it, and he doesn't even touch his kibble. He finally decided he likes peanut butter dog biscuits, and when I brought him in earlier, saw that he had eaten the jerky treats I gave him yesterday. Unfortunately, he can't tell me what he's used to, and I can't afford to keep giving him different things until we hit on something that's acceptable to him - when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat what's put before him, and when he gobbles something down, I'll know I have a winner. He's a great dog, though, and the kitties seem to like him. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Pictures on FB; I'll add more today, now that he's nice and clean. (Look for the "Angel" album.)

Svetlana, the new kitty with the vision problems, is finally settling in and comes up to me for cuddles. Some of the older kids are still giving her a hard time, but they'll have to accept the fact she's in our family forever, so they'd better deal with it.

Karen, I had to laugh at the thought of someone putting on a bathing suit before getting in the shower with the dog...that's taking modesty to the extreme! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Linda, I said a prayer for your friend's wife - even though she knew what was coming, it's hard - one is never quite ready for the death of a loved one. It's good that he was prepared, but too bad he couldn't hang around for one last Christmas. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I have two exams to do and then the school semester is OVER....and then I have about a month off. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I've been really enjoying this class, especially after that awful one on statistics.

Last night I got the gifts wrapped for my pastor in Hawaii and his and wife; they're ready to go, except I looked high and low for the gift tags I had purchased and couldn't find them anywhere. I finally remembered I have a couple of bags from Dollar Tree in the trunk of my car, but didn't want to go out in the cold and dark and look for them at around 2 a.m., so I'll get out there in a little while - I sure hope I find them. I still have to get the cousins' gifts wrapped, but can't pack them for mailing until I make their baked goods.

Rosa, how do you decide who will get the lemon pound cake and who will get the chocolate? I made an apple cake the other day that's really good - I found the recipe in a culinary mystery I read. It has a cream cheese frosting, but I find that's too sweet; next time I'll make it with either some sugar & cinnamon sprinkled on top before baking, or just shake some confectioners sugar on it after it's cooled. I'll post the recipe in the cooking forum in a bit, if you want to try it.

The Ninja that I got from QVC and only used maybe two dozen times isn't working; the blades spin if it's empty, but not if anything is in it. I found that out when I was making my latke yesterday. {#emotions_dlg.mad} I have a Ninja Pro that I had gotten in Costco about six months ago, so I had to go out to the garage in the dark and bring it in. Finally got my latke made, and they were great! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Kathleen, I miss having co-workers to bake for; I used to have a lot of fun doing that and did it often. When I went into executive recruiting after being a Wall St. executive, I called all my contacts so I could hopefully enlist them as clients. I called one gentleman who used to be a Senior VP at the company I worked at for many years and was now at another firm, and said, "I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Arlene and I used to work at Smith Barney..." Before I could continue further he said, "OF COURSE I remember you!" I thought he'd say, "You wrote all the monthly reports," or "You ran the mutual funds," or "I sat next to you at the Board meetings..." No...he continued on with, "You make the best chocolate cake I ever had in my life!" {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I guess I should get moving; I have a few little things to do, nothing major - no plans to go anywhere.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

FunkyHulaG­irl1355340971.6136726 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

OK, Angel likes the apple cake....I had a piece left on my plate, went to get a package that was just delivered, and the plate was licked clean... {#emotions_dlg.laugh} But he does need to learn, dog does not live on PB biscuits and apple cake alone!

Gotta run out to Dollar Tree...I can't find those doggone gift tags. (sigh) Count on it...as soon as all the packages are ready to mail, they'll turn up! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ksmitty281355341583.61111 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010

Arlene - you made me chuckle about the "modesty" issue...not so much with Samantha but it usually takes 2 for the task, especially the drying phase.

Kathleen - Samantha will be 5 in February and she is still learning to be good...sometimes, she just forgets. Lucky for her, she's cute and even cuter when she's bad.

LindaLatte1355341814.9234611 PostsRegistered 8/16/2007
Good Afternoon! Sorry about the passing of your friend's husband/father, but glad he was able to pick the time when he was ready LindaR. One of my work friend's husband was ill, and she was very sad about his passing, but also was about to be bankrupt because of the high cost of keeping him alive with all sorts of equipment. Fortunately (although it was still very hard on her), he passed away just before financial ruin would have happened. I do believe that some people can "will" their own passing -- have seen it in my family. You are such a nice lady LindaR, and I'm sure everyone was comforted by you being there. Waves to Rosa, Kathleen, Karen, Susan, Arlene, Jean, Marijane, Val, Sonya, Kathy, Nancy, Luci, and all of our posters and readers. DD and I have been busy shopping, and the kids now have their new computer, DD and my SIL have a new mattress, and I have done some Christmas shopping as well. Middle DGS liked his birthday gift and card, and the money that was enclosed. DGD went to dance class today, and DD and I sat outside in the car and talked while we waited. I think we need to pick up another piece for the computer and a mattress pad for the bed. Not sure if that will be today or not. DH called a few times -- what a sweet man. Have a good evening everyone! Hugs, Linda

fbm2lsm1355343562.992599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010

Funky Hula Girl, those cakes are for my DSs' office. I will leave the big desicion of chocolate or lemon up to him.{#emotions_dlg.w00t} They are all lawyers, things could get ugly!

Last edited on 12/12/2012

Last edited on 12/12/2012

FunkyHulaG­irl1355344266.3576726 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

You know, we used to have a self-service "dog wash" in town - from what I gathered, it was set up so you could give your dog a bath and dry it easily. Never went there, as it was before I had a dog, so I don't know exactly what the set-up was, but it sounds like it would be a good idea.

OK, off to Dollar Tree...

HappyVal1355348923.553640 PostsRegistered 6/9/2011

Hello all! Kathleen, sorry your work friend was hoping for a special loaf, and I’m sure that was awkward. Don’t worry, though, because I’m sure she’ll benefit from your generosity some time in the near future. Rosa, I remember well how empty the town would be after all the students left for the holidays. Because I lived in the town all year, I always loved it when campus emptied out and it was so quiet!

LindaR, it sounds like your friend passed with dignity. That makes so much difference in how we feel about the loss.

Karen, glad you enjoyed your dinner and the game. Your mom is lucky to have you. I wish my mom had lived long enough for me to help her like you are helping your mom. It’s wonderful to give back to someone who has given you so much!

Talking about dog antics, our Saki is turning our Christmas tree into a plaything! First, Max was chewing the faux greenery. This isn’t the first time that I’ve had a dog go nuts over those red plastic berries. When those were finally all chewed up at his height (10”), Saki starting eating ornaments. Never when we are home, of course, but I started finding bits and pieces of all the homemade ornaments my kids and grandkids have made over the years. Even glass ornaments were getting knocked down, carried into other rooms, and broken! I wasn’t even sure which of our 6 dogs was responsible. This morning I found Saki with an ornament between her paws when I came downstairs. She gave me her “I know I’m not supposed to do this” look, ears down, and I smacked her nose and said “No!”. She’s the smartest of all the dogs, so I hope this ends the problem!

You are right about the self service dog baths, Arlene. We have one nearby in the back of the Pets Supplies Plus store. Very nice set up, especially for our large dogs. Walk up ramp into a tub at waist height with shower sprayer.

Page 1 of 1