Just-Reduced Clearance
81 Members and 9568 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

OT: What's the worst Christmas gift you ever received?

Started 1355090992.05 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1355362170.303 by Mustangshar

I know it's the thought that really counts...but sometimes, you have to wonder what on earth people are thinking! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Years ago I had a friend who was an actress - she never became famous, but liked to think she was, so she'd spend a lot of money on things she thought would enhance her image - designer clothing, expensive hairdressers, a complicated skin care program that cost quite a bit, etc. She even had an apartment on Madison Ave. in NYC....although it was one room atop a store. (She usually worked as an office temp, so that was all she could afford.)

Anyway, one year she started telling me in about October that the Christmas gift I would be getting from her that year was very expensive. I mean, it was all I heard about for over two months! That put me in a rather awkward position, but I felt I really had no choice but to get her a pricey gift as well.

Come Christmas Day we met at church, and exchanged gifts after the service. She was meeting someone for brunch so had to hurry off; I couldn't wait to get home and open my present, which was beautifully wrapped. Judging by the size of the box, I couldn't imagine what it was, but she really had my sense of anticipation built up.

I for home, and tore off the paper, filled with excitement!

This "very expensive" gift was her opened and halfway gone used skin care system...turned out she was allergic to it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

So much for class...had it been the other way around, I'd have just offered the products to a friend, not passed them off as a gift. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

(Yeah, they got tossed....)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 4
willdob31355262655.9210463 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010

This was from a very well-employed friend...

ONE tiny mini bottle of cologne out of a set of several. She bragged about how she found it at the drugstore & gave one each to several people.

I won't go into (OK, yes, I will! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}) how I spent a lot of time choosing just the right hand-made sterling earrings from an exclusive shop for her....

I know it is supposed to be the thought that counts but I never was sure what she was thinking... I was just so shocked & disappointed. I guess not everyone puts a lot of thought into their gift-giving.

avid shopp­er1355262939.643345 PostsRegistered 8/24/2006NY

A nail file.....that is one nail file, I just said "thank you"

curlywhite­dog1355319385.2836477 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ
On 12/11/2012 fromthebronx said:
On 12/10/2012 curlywhitedog said:
On 12/10/2012 fromthebronx said:

Curly, I have been in your place...I got one of those things at a going-away party when I was moving from one job to another. Mine was presented to me by a male exotic dancer (as if getting one in public wasn't embarrassing enough!). As for Christmas gifts, tho, I would have to say deodorant, which my mother thought was a good idea the Christmas just after I turned 9. I think she even topped the gift she gave me the previous year...at the age of 8, I received my first bra. Not that I didn't need it, mind you, but emotionally I was just not ready to give up on being a child and move into "womanhood territory". I still can blush when I think about all these gifts!

Hey from the bronx...me too, I'm originally from the Morris Park section of the Bronx. Do you still live there?

Maria

Yes, Maria, I sure do...I live in Locust Point. My SO's uncle and his wife live in Morris Park!

Small world. I knew someone who used to live on Pennyfield Ave., that's in Locust Point, right? Most of my husband's family lived in Throggs Neck so I'm familiar. I've been gone from the Bronx since 1972 but generations of my family lived there their whole lives. Great grandparents, grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins...some still there. My grandfather owned a furniture store on Morris Park Ave. for as long as I can remember, maybe the 1960's which my uncle, who took it over from him, just closed last year. I wouldn't say we were famous...lol...but we were well known.

Maria

Last edited on 12/12/2012

Last edited on 12/12/2012

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

Reiss19801355319876.28218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.bored} A cheap silver plated necklace that was too short for my neck and turned my neck green when I tried it on. From my brother and sister-in-law. And the x-mas before a cape that was so long on my short frame that I looked like bat woman. Also from my brother and sister-in-law ... They both received gift cards from me both those years .. And will receive a nice gift this year also..[ I know I know I should not do that, just like to give nice gifts] I can not wait to see what I {#emotions_dlg.crying}receive this year.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

PurpleBunny1355349180.5339232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
You're right, it's the thought that counts. Therefore, it's the lack of thought that really hurts. The gift that 'stung' the most was from my MIL. I am "famous" for silver jewelry, particularly silver bangles. One Christmas while at my in-laws, I watched in delight as each of my three sisters in law open a beautiful silver bangle from my MIL. My turn came and I was surprised to see my package was different. I opened it to find a pair of black scuff slippers. I was never so hurt or insulted. I tried to force a smile, but we left shortly after because I couldn't hold back the tears. Just one of the many times I've been singled out and treated lesser by her. Once she started doing the same to my daughter, that was it. We have nothing to do with her anymore.

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

Rock_chick1355349854.4438616 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas
On 12/12/2012 PurpleBunny said: You're right, it's the thought that counts. Therefore, it's the lack of thought that really hurts. The gift that 'stung' the most was from my MIL. I am "famous" for silver jewelry, particularly silver bangles. One Christmas while at my in-laws, I watched in delight as each of my three sisters in law open a beautiful silver bangle from my MIL. My turn came and I was surprised to see my package was different. I opened it to find a pair of black scuff slippers. I was never so hurt or insulted. I tried to force a smile, but we left shortly after because I couldn't hold back the tears. Just one of the many times I've been singled out and treated lesser by her. Once she started doing the same to my daughter, that was it. We have nothing to do with her anymore.

My MIL never treated me so badly with gifts, but my "fall from grace" was swift, shocking, and unexplainable. I was never quite sure what I did, and despite all my efforts to "fix" things, they never got fixed. I SO understand what you mean about it trickling down to the kids. She only had one chance to say something nasty to our daughter. Sadly, she died without trying to mend the fence. She *did* leave DD a small sum of money, and it was very kind of her.

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

PurpleBunny1355350067.45739232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
On 12/12/2012 Rock_chick said:
On 12/12/2012 PurpleBunny said: You're right, it's the thought that counts. Therefore, it's the lack of thought that really hurts. The gift that 'stung' the most was from my MIL. I am "famous" for silver jewelry, particularly silver bangles. One Christmas while at my in-laws, I watched in delight as each of my three sisters in law open a beautiful silver bangle from my MIL. My turn came and I was surprised to see my package was different. I opened it to find a pair of black scuff slippers. I was never so hurt or insulted. I tried to force a smile, but we left shortly after because I couldn't hold back the tears. Just one of the many times I've been singled out and treated lesser by her. Once she started doing the same to my daughter, that was it. We have nothing to do with her anymore.

My MIL never treated me so badly with gifts, but my "fall from grace" was swift, shocking, and unexplainable. I was never quite sure what I did, and despite all my efforts to "fix" things, they never got fixed. I SO understand what you mean about it trickling down to the kids. She only had one chance to say something nasty to our daughter. Sadly, she died without trying to mend the fence. She *did* leave DD a small sum of money, and it was very kind of her.

I was the first to marry into the family and I took " the good one." That was my only crime. She's a very selfish, jealous, immature woman and nothing I do will ever please her, so I stopped trying.

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")

       

Hildegarde­ Withers1355350530.1323312 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

A friend once gave me a size 1XL top when I wear a size small or medium. Gee, thanks. The thing was huge on me. She probably got it at a great price off the clearance rack.

PurpleBunny1355351916.7539232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
On 12/12/2012 Hildegarde Withers said:

A friend once gave me a size 1XL top when I wear a size small or medium. Gee, thanks. The thing was huge on me. She probably got it at a great price off the clearance rack.

My Dad always gave me clothes smaller than I wear -lol! I didn't mind!

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")

       

Brinklii1355353182.6610278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

I got a case (yes, a case) of toilet tissue, kleenex, and paper towels once from a close friend. Kimberly Clark (a paper manufacturer) had cases with samples of all their products in it. My friend was a very practical person and sent a case to everyone she knew. She was all excited about it. I wasn't.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

bettynewbie1355354200.4471397 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

...a pair of socks from my MIL....even her family of sons only thought it was strange....I never let on anything of course....the next year she spent over $3,000. on me....proving once again the old bat is a nut! I said thank you just the same as the "sock" year.....

rockydog11355355381.503605 PostsRegistered 8/17/2012

MIL gave me a huge white shirt with giant red poka dots

willdob31355357327.40710463 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010
On 12/12/2012 bettynewbie said:

...a pair of socks from my MIL....even her family of sons only thought it was strange....I never let on anything of course....the next year she spent over $3,000. on me....proving once again the old bat is a nut! I said thank you just the same as the "sock" year.....

Wow! That is quite a difference!

willdob31355357428.00310463 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010
On 12/12/2012 Tabbychic said:

I got a case (yes, a case) of toilet tissue, kleenex, and paper towels once from a close friend. Kimberly Clark (a paper manufacturer) had cases with samples of all their products in it. My friend was a very practical person and sent a case to everyone she knew. She was all excited about it. I wasn't.

I wonder if she might be related to my friend... lol

Mustangshar1355362170.3037706 PostsRegistered 12/7/2006Chicago Burbs
On 12/12/2012 rockydog1 said:

MIL gave me a huge white shirt with giant red poka dots

I am just cracking up here!!!LOL

Sharon :)
WNYgal said The Shame Sisters, otherwise known as Linea Anonymous.

Page 4 of 4