Boot Boutique
15 Members and 10163 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

OT: What's the worst Christmas gift you ever received?

Started 1355090992.05 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1355362170.303 by Mustangshar

I know it's the thought that really counts...but sometimes, you have to wonder what on earth people are thinking! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Years ago I had a friend who was an actress - she never became famous, but liked to think she was, so she'd spend a lot of money on things she thought would enhance her image - designer clothing, expensive hairdressers, a complicated skin care program that cost quite a bit, etc. She even had an apartment on Madison Ave. in NYC....although it was one room atop a store. (She usually worked as an office temp, so that was all she could afford.)

Anyway, one year she started telling me in about October that the Christmas gift I would be getting from her that year was very expensive. I mean, it was all I heard about for over two months! That put me in a rather awkward position, but I felt I really had no choice but to get her a pricey gift as well.

Come Christmas Day we met at church, and exchanged gifts after the service. She was meeting someone for brunch so had to hurry off; I couldn't wait to get home and open my present, which was beautifully wrapped. Judging by the size of the box, I couldn't imagine what it was, but she really had my sense of anticipation built up.

I for home, and tore off the paper, filled with excitement!

This "very expensive" gift was her opened and halfway gone used skin care system...turned out she was allergic to it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

So much for class...had it been the other way around, I'd have just offered the products to a friend, not passed them off as a gift. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

(Yeah, they got tossed....)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
wilma1355094127.77313128 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 12/9/2012 FunkyHulaGirl said:

This "very expensive" gift was her opened and halfway gone used skin care system...turned out she was allergic to it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I have heard of regifting, but that is pretty bad.

The first year my DH and I were married he gave me a cell phone. I know that is a practical gift, but for our first Christmas it wasn't what I was expecting. I tried to hide my disappointment, but he is very perceptive and knew I wasn't thrilled. Btw it did come in handy, because I was working at the time far away from home, and I had to travel a long way to work on the Interstate each day and night, so he gave it to me for safety reasons.

The other not so thrilling gift was a pair of pierced earrings. I do not nor have I never worn earrings - clip or pierced. It was a gift from an acquaintance who obviously didn't know me that well. I gave them to my sister, and yes, I did tell her they had been a gift to me. She was happy to take them.

JESSA1355095483.7432306 PostsRegistered 12/18/2010

I got 2 pair of Queen size panty hose from my mil...I was a size 8 at the time.

lynnzzz1355095647.763520 PostsRegistered 9/4/2008
My Dad and Stepmother used to brag about how many Christmas gifts they bought at garage sales! We used to die laughing and it is still a family joke!

Page Turner1355096173.827927 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007"More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"

I still don't know if my MIL thought this was in good taste or if she thought my taste was so bad that I'd like it.

It was a very cheap looking chimney with Santa's butt stuck in it. And to top it off, it played some kind of tune that had the worst sound (like a tin can) ever.

I still scratch my head wondering how and where I was supposed to display Santa's butt in a chimney.

TAZZY1355096200.293750 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

It was an adults grab bag gift. I got an electric corn cob. I did not find it very funny.

lovesrecess1355096598.7113642 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

my former MIL gave me the following Christmas gifts:

stationary with my name mispelled (I got this two years in a row)

a hideous nightshirt with a naked woman on it (don't even ask for details)

one Christmas I received a pkg of 12 paper napkins and a box of microwave popcorn

favorite: a watch that didn't work; when I opened it she asked me to let her know if it ever started working because she hadn't been able to get it to work

Desertdi1355096692.76715810 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

A Voodoo doll (from one of my husband's co-workers)

panda lady1355096979.761389 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011

I felt that I wanted to share a gift that meant alot to me because of who gave it to me. Under other circumstances, it may be considered the worst present but in this story, it's one of the best memories that I have! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

The most memorable gift that I ever received was given to me 18 years ago by one of my former students. I worked in an area with low income housing and a tansient population. The little second grader came in the day before Christmas vacation with a paper lunch sack decorated with pencil and crayon. It had my name on it (spelled the best way she knew how). She had a huge smile on her face as I opened it. I found a tarnished pair of earrings missing the rhinestones and a 1/4 of a bottle of perfume. I put on the earrings that day and squirted a small amount of the perfume on my wrist, hugged the child an cried all the way home.

I'm tearing up now just remembering! Panda Lady

Mary Bailey1355097504.017263 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004sw of Chicago
On 12/9/2012 panda lady said:

I felt that I wanted to share a gift that meant alot to me because of who gave it to me. Under other circumstances, it may be considered the worst present but in this story, it's one of the best memories that I have! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

The most memorable gift that I ever received was given to me 18 years ago by one of my former students. I worked in an area with low income housing and a tansient population. The little second grader came in the day before Christmas vacation with a paper lunch sack decorated with pencil and crayon. It had my name on it (spelled the best way she knew how). She had a huge smile on her face as I opened it. I found a tarnished pair of earrings missing the rhinestones and a 1/4 of a bottle of perfume. I put on the earrings that day and squirted a small amount of the perfume on my wrist, hugged the child an cried all the way home.

That is lovely! thank you for sharing the experience.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
Just Remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn't the way they actually are. - John Green

pinkcrystal1355097678.741274 PostsRegistered 4/24/2006Northern Michigan
On 12/9/2012 upsidedown said:

my former MIL gave me the following Christmas gifts:

stationary with my name mispelled (I got this two years in a row)

a hideous nightshirt with a naked woman on it (don't even ask for details)

one Christmas I received a pkg of 12 paper napkins and a box of microwave popcorn

favorite: a watch that didn't work; when I opened it she asked me to let her know if it ever started working because she hadn't been able to get it to work

I am always so shocked that REAL people are this CRUEL! I am glad she is your former.

Deanie1355098695.41824 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You are a good lady!

Barbara in­ Virginia1355098748.3237755 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

My nasty and hostile aunt once gave me a size Large girdle. I was a size 8. And didn't wear girdles.

pegomyheart1355099841.76320 PostsRegistered 7/6/2009Chicago

Power attachment for my vacuum cleaner from my husband.

pegomyheart

brewhaha1355100130.7443283 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

A former co-worker gave me a cassette recording of herself sing xmas songs. And she's not the greatest singer.

Last edited on 12/9/2012

Last edited on 12/9/2012

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

JustJazzmom1355100365.5927794 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

An oversized white top that was obviously my aunt's gift from someone else. It wasn't even my correct size! I just donated it (where it should have gone in the first place!)

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

Zcat1355100664.2132700 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010Florida

I'm sure she felt very proud to be able to give you something. And you were so gracious, it really was a wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing.

belleandme1355100688.9438644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

beautiful!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

belleandme1355100741.4378644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois
On 12/9/2012 brewhaha said:

A former co-worker gave me a cassette recording of herself sing xmas songs. And she's not the greatest singer.

Last edited on 12/9/2012

{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

lynnzzz1355100926.1520 PostsRegistered 9/4/2008
For Christmas my sister gave me a Halloween ceramic ghost that was broken! It broke on the way but was not packed well.

reenie31355101193.03359 PostsRegistered 8/9/2009

My son gave my DIL some lobster traps one year. He at the time was a recreational lobsterman. If that wasn't bad enough, the next year he gave her a tuna gaff for landing a tuna. Again, he was a recreational fisherman.

She has educated him on present giving. I'm very happy to report that he was a good "student", and has earned all A's on subsequent Christmas presents!

traveler1355101516.2611301 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004Alaska

Last edited on 12/9/2012

Last edited on 12/9/2012

Belle_Femme1355102630.3633767 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007Indy

Several years back, my dad and stepmother bought me a black muu muu (I think it was meant to be a nightgown) for Christmas. It was a size 3X, and I was a size large at the time. We took pictures of my stepbrother dressed in it. He swam in it too. Hysterical! I still have it. One of these days, I plan to burn it under the full moon.

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

luvmyteddy1355107195.4678450 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

One year my SIL gave my mom and I matching sweatshirts that snap shut, same size but in different colors. She was 92 and I am much younger. I tried to take mine back to the half price store and found out she paid 3.00 for them. I couldn't find anything for 3.00 so I ended up giving mine to my mom.

My ex always bought me appliances like a microwave, pots and pans, etc. We hadn't been married that longggggg. I finally told him I would pick out my own gifts. He bought these for himself anyway.

baby burns1355108338.388793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

PANDA LADY, your story, brought a tear to my eyes, i hope you saved the gift, so you would never forget what true love and respect is. happy holidays!!!

Shopping_Q­ween1355112115.377203 PostsRegistered 12/24/2005Long Island, NY

Such a beautiful story, thanks for sharing. THIS is what Christmas is all about!

S_Q

Ladies, find a man who ruins your lipstick, not your mascara.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next