Labor Day Weekend Clearance
107 Members and 9471 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

UPS to USPS the new way of shipping

Started 1325879421.34 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1326222475.92 by shoptillIdrop

It seems that more and more companies are shipping packages via UPS and them having them handed off the the USPS for home delivery.

I am more than a bit annoyed, I am sitting here waiting for a package that has been at my "local" post office for the last two days.

I would rather pay a bit more and have my package delivered directly.

PS I have experienced this with both HSN and Lane Bryant.

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

Page 1 of 2
Krimpette1325879498.8079828 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

HSN has been doing that for quite some time now. I've even called to see if I could get other option - nope. The way of the future, I fear.

dual1325879785.73315 PostsRegistered 8/24/2010

Philosophy did this to me during the Christmas rush. Had to wait several extra days for the post office to deliver my package. I did let Philosophy know I was not a happy camper and if this was the way they were going to ship from now on, they should at least post that info on their site.

Krimpette1325880301.6779828 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

It would be nice if it was indicated that this would be the mode of shipment. Instead, it just shows as UPS, only to learn later that it's actually UPS to USPS.

allthatsgo­od1325880971.62881 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011
I experienced this over Christmas. I ordered a doll for my granddaughter, and the shipping option was "Smart Post." I found out that was UPS to USPS. I was a little concerned about this but the doll came when American Girl said I could expect it. We will probably see this more and more as UPS shipping costs are going up. I guess it's just one of those "things," and we accept it and go on.

terrier31325881131.2825599 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007

UPS is using the USPS because it saves them money and they make a bigger profit.

Heaven help us if the USPS is privatized....we will all be paying MUCH more!

RC911325882474.693151 PostsRegistered 11/21/2010
I think UPS and USPS this deal as a way to keep the USPS alive. With online bill paying and paperless statements, email and shipping options, USPS is barely making it. They can raise postage as much as they want but each year more and more is done electronically. A book of stamps lasts me 6 months.

Usedtobeox­ox1325891103.153843 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun
On 1/6/2012 funtoscrap said:

HSN has been doing that for quite some time now. I've even called to see if I could get other option - nope. The way of the future, I fear.

Thing is I always pay the extra for the 'express shippping" but I do not always seem to get it

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

Nightowlz1325891429.269399 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Saves them money & makes us wait longer to receive our packages. Wait until the Post Office starts closing down locations this year, closes on Saturday & goes back to horse & buggy delivery.

Last edited on 1/6/2012

Last edited on 1/6/2012

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

goldengirl1325892965.417302 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Ohio

What upsets me the most is the cost of shipping and handling has gone up so much, yet the delivery is poor. I actually had two different packages coming from the Q. Both were on the UPS truck at the town before mine. When they got to my town, one package was given to the USPS and the other package UPS delivered to me. Since it was just a few blocks aways couldn't they have brought both packages. I certainly paid enough for them.

LainTx1325893109.35102 PostsRegistered 1/2/2012Houston

I hate this too. You lose the tracking after the package is dropped off at the post office, and sometimes it is 3-4 more days before they finally deliver it.

Also, we live behinf a gated/fenced yard, and despite putting "DELIVERY SERVICE - PLEASE THROW OVER FENCE!!!" on the Address Line #2 of my shipping address, the post office will not do this with anything small enough to fit in my mailbox. Never have that problem with UPS and Fed Ex.

Mommy to two greyhounds, the best dogs ever!
Only check boards every few days, so please be patient if I do not reply right away.

Sister Gol­den Hair1325893525.3114419 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

UPS is the one that has made this arrangement with USPS. Mostly delivery on rural routes. UPS doesn't want to go 5 miles out of town for one package. You might want to call customer service to see what products must be delivered by USPS. I know when I ordered perfume, UPS couldn't deliver that product.

Usedtobe, why was your package at the post office for 2 days? Those packages are suppose to be delivered the day they come in if it is before the mail people go on their routes. If not the very next day. I would be calling the postmaster.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Usedtobeox­ox1325902918.433843 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun
On 1/6/2012 Sister Golden Hair said:

UPS is the one that has made this arrangement with USPS. Mostly delivery on rural routes. UPS doesn't want to go 5 miles out of town for one package. You might want to call customer service to see what products must be delivered by USPS. I know when I ordered perfume, UPS couldn't deliver that product.

Usedtobe, why was your package at the post office for 2 days? Those packages are suppose to be delivered the day they come in if it is before the mail people go on their routes. If not the very next day. I would be calling the postmaster.

I am not in a rural location and since I work at home UPS delivery here almost every day The person I spoke to at Lane Bryant said they are doing this to save money, instead of raising the shiping rates they are shipping a "cheaper route".

BurbankKate1325903023.6936188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

This is a common complaint thread that pops up every month or so...Yep...that's the way things are going now. Gas is getting more expenseive by the day...

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

MsTrixi1325903361.561414 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006Menifee, California

It just seems with everything moving so quickly these days, and electronic transactions being so fast, that mail delivery would be faster too. Or at least the same amount of time. It just seems wrong that it is getting slower and that I could get a package deliverd faster in 1982 than I can now! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

"Getting old is not for sissies."
Bette Davis

Sister Gol­den Hair1325989987.71714419 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

Usedtobe, I don't understand if you live in town. Really doesn't make much sense to me. I would call the postmaster and complain about not getting your packages to 2 days. I do know that a large UPS truck brings packages around noon here where we live. By that time, the mail carriers are already gone to deliver mail. But your package should be to you the next day. I sometimes go to the post office when I'm expecting a package.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

mostwanted1325990942.051247 PostsRegistered 8/28/2006
On 1/6/2012 funtoscrap said:

Perhaps someone has said this...but when I order, I stopped at the shipping and select UPS ground...now I know that would seem to be no different than the complaint... generally it is the same cost as what the Q chooses..BUT it is different...UPS delivers it to my door...it does not drop it off and let USPS do the rest.

Funny with all the action these distribution houses are giving the USPS, I have no idea why the post offices are having such financial woes...and are closing some branches.

glorybe1325993244.032686 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007

You can bypass USPS by choosing UPS instead of "basic rural" or whatever they are calling it these days. You can choose shipping to UPS as it usually costs the same or just a little more and that way I get it one day earlier than I would from USPS and delivered to my home.

ETA: oops, just saw where someone else has given this advice.

Last edited on 1/7/2012

Last edited on 1/7/2012

keep~growi­ng1325996056.473402 PostsRegistered 11/8/2011

I prefer the USPS as my mail carrier gets here much earlier than the UPS truck.

*Trying to live my life like Ellen Degeneres and Tim Gunn.:-)
*Having money is about having options...and options are PRICELESS.

HopeReigns1326000064.9273517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007

Talked to an UPS employee today and he said the Mail Innovations saves 1000s of stops a week. Saves them big $$$$$$$$.

Hope, >^.^<

"

eskimos7111326023459.02724 PostsRegistered 10/16/2010

They are using FedEx the same way. I'm trying to track down a package from Eddie Bauer that they sent using FedEx Smart Post. It shipped on 12/28, and since 12/30 says it's at local P.O. I called them and they said they don't have it. Company says if I don't receive package by the 10th they will credit my account, which is fine, but I want my stuff! Meanwhile, I ordered from LL Bean this past Wednesday and had the package on Friday. Not to mention LLBean was free shipping to begin with! Guess I'll have to start using UPS ground as an option where I can like others have done.

Usedtobeox­ox1326034581.6273843 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun
On 1/7/2012 glorybe said:

You can bypass USPS by choosing UPS instead of "basic rural" or whatever they are calling it these days. You can choose shipping to UPS as it usually costs the same or just a little more and that way I get it one day earlier than I would from USPS and delivered to my home.

ETA: oops, just saw where someone else has given this advice.

Last edited on 1/7/2012

Ah but I do I always pay the upcharge for the quicker delivery, so apparently its no longer that much quicker

bonnielu1326035285.5935566 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I am rural and don't mind the hand off from UPS to USPS. However when the Q decided to give it to DHL first, then I really got irritated. It took over a month for something to show up at my house that would have ordinarily taken two days. I called DHL who are not in my area and they said they were not local and usually worked internationally. They had no clue why QVC would even give them the package in the first place.

KathyPet1326039597.028026 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

THis is not a "new: way of shipping. QVC has been doing it for at least a year. Several other retailers that I shop from are also using this method. I just hate it. I figure it adds at least a day and sometimes more to my arrival time.

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

Usedtobeox­ox1326040067.123843 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun
On 1/8/2012 KathyPet said:

THis is not a "new: way of shipping. QVC has been doing it for at least a year. Several other retailers that I shop from are also using this method. I just hate it. I figure it adds at least a day and sometimes more to my arrival time.

I have never had this "issue" with my Q packages I always get my UPS deliveries.

Beauty$Jun­kie1326059010.127610 PostsRegistered 12/27/2008

UPS tracking shows the packages sitting at the post office when they don't actually drop them off until late in the afternoon well after the carriers have left for their delivery routes. Their tracking makes it seem like the post office is sitting on them when the post office actually hasn't even received them yet, but they are loaded on the UPS truck en route. UPS doesn't want to deliver residential customers, they are geared toward businesses with high volume. At least when I get my pkgs from the post office, it doesn't look filthy or like they have run over it with their trucks. I ship many gifts to family during the holidays and the post office beat everyoneelse's rates.

Page 1 of 2