Fall Fashion Clearance
146 Members and 11859 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Any Tips on Cleaning Vera Bradley Bags?

Started 1310268970.49 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1310785259.753 by Triple7tahoe

I got my first Vera Bradley bag a few months ago. It's adorable, with a kiss lock frame and pretty colors, and I've gotten so many compliments on it. However, I've noticed it's getting a little dirty in spots and I'm wondering what's the best way to clean it? I'm sure they aren't washable, so what do you collectors use to spiff the bags up? Would appreciate any tips.

We are beautiful, no matter what they say....Words can't bring us down!

Page 1 of 1
Kathleen1310269322.60712387 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
cinebee1310269698.626419 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

Most VB bags ARE washable but I'm not so sure the ones with the metal kisslock frames fall into that category. I would check the Vera Bradley website.

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

winamac11310294791.5830141 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

I never clean mine. I find the times I've cleaned them...they have turned out awful and faded. I just donate mine if they get dirty. I have so many bags though that I don't carry the same one all the time so it never gets that dirty.

ETA: Thanks Kathleen for the instructions.

Last edited on 7/10/2011

Last edited on 7/10/2011

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

Somertime1310299374.69325 PostsRegistered 9/18/2010

Soak the bag in white vinegar, first. This will set the colors so they will not fade. If you follow the instructions from Vera Bradley, the colors will fade as the lady stated in the other post.

winamac11310299405.730141 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 7/10/2011 Somertime said:

Soak the bag in white vinegar, first. This will set the colors so they will not fade. If you follow the instructions from Vera Bradley, the colors will fade as the lady stated in the other post.

That's what my sister told me to do. She said to NOT use Woolite either. She works at Vera part time.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

buyornot1310299526.7872624 PostsRegistered 7/7/2008
On 7/10/2011 winamac1 said:

I never clean mine. I find the times I've cleaned them...they have turned out awful and faded. I just donate mine if they get dirty. I have so many bags though that I don't carry the same one all the time so it never gets that dirty.

ETA: Thanks Kathleen for the instructions.

Last edited on 7/10/2011

agree-when they get a "bit" worn, I give them to my mom's nursing home and everyone loves having them for a little bit longer. I just think they always look like they've been washed-not my favorite look.

happy hous­ewife1310299868.08729764 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Remove the hard bottom if there is one and wash in washer on cold , in woolite. Then shape and hang to dry,but not in the sun. I wash all mine and even have washed my VB wallet, and never had one fade,shrink or go out of shape. They are 100% cotton.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

winamac11310300312.37730141 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 7/10/2011 buyornot said:
On 7/10/2011 winamac1 said:

I never clean mine. I find the times I've cleaned them...they have turned out awful and faded. I just donate mine if they get dirty. I have so many bags though that I don't carry the same one all the time so it never gets that dirty.

ETA: Thanks Kathleen for the instructions.

Last edited on 7/10/2011

agree-when they get a "bit" worn, I give them to my mom's nursing home and everyone loves having them for a little bit longer. I just think they always look like they've been washed-not my favorite look.

You are so right--absolutely what I find when I've washed a few. I don't like how they look--I get rid of them.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

Zcat1310300549.8172628 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010Florida

I have washed my totes by hand. They are good for one or two washes before they start to look worn.

The older totes are perfect for travel. I like to take them on road trips and plane rides.

I have a really old one that I use around the house. We have a home gym and a pool, so I keep it packed with my kindle, headphones, SPF products, sunglasses... I just add a bottle of water and a towel and I'm ready to go.

buyornot1310300883.7172624 PostsRegistered 7/7/2008
On 7/10/2011 catsrulemylife said:

I have washed my totes by hand. They are good for one or two washes before they start to look worn.

The older totes are perfect for travel. I like to take them on road trips and plane rides.

I have a really old one that I use around the house. We have a home gym and a pool, so I keep it packed with my kindle, headphones, SPF products, sunglasses... I just add a bottle of water and a towel and I'm ready to go.

yes, you're right-I would absolutely wash a tote.

happy hous­ewife1310303041.30329764 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

OP - you have nothing to lose - if it is dirty you don't want to carry it anyway so just wash it gently and see what happens. If it has a hard bottom don't forget to take that out - it is only cardboard.

I have washed my Morgan bag at least 3 times and it isn't at all faded.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Qgirl1310303110.4274167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

I only clean the ones without the metal hardware. I have two Kiss Lock purses and cannot wash them. You might want to try the Tide stain remover pen. I know that works well on my clothes. Just make sure you do a test patch first.

Sweetea-pie1310699821.75337 PostsRegistered 10/19/2006Libertyville

I got a new Vera for my vacation in May. I knew it was going to get a good work-out. A friend of mine sprayed hers with Scotch guard spray and it seemed to work for her, so I tried it. I do think it kept the bag cleaner. I don't know what will happen when I try to wash it. I think washing Vera purses always takes a toll on their new look, but for some of them it doesn't matter really.

Qwackertoo1310700442.60310123 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

I washed my daughters Vera lunch tote. It was looking a little dirty after 2-3 years of carrying to school, not too bad considering the amount of time she had used it, and shockingly it turned out looking like new after washing.

I have also washed one of her little bucket totes with the magnetic closure and took out the cardboard bottom and turned it inside out and it too did just fine.

Several of her other Vera bags over the years after carrying to school and dance and probably getting tossed on the floor etc. and a few highlighter markers and pen leaks that I have just tossed but they usually get a good 2-3 year workout. She has been carrying various Vera's since about 6th grade and is entering 12th grade this year. I've tried to buy her more expensive purses but she enjoys Vera's and cheaper department store purses and says the designer ones are too expensive. LOL

Last edited on 7/14/2011

Last edited on 7/14/2011


CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- no different than Pravda

Is everything a political football? Then this has been one very long & drawn-out Super Bowl~!

Triple7tah­oe1310785259.737236 PostsRegistered 11/23/2006California

I've washed mine more than once. I take out the cardboard or plastic bottom and put in the washer with regular detergent, cool water. They seem to maintain their shape and only need a tad of straightening, then I let them air dry. I have never had one fade or look worn after washing. I wish my more expensive leather purses held up this well.

I can't answer about the metal kiss lock styles tho. I would contact VB and ask them.

Page 1 of 1