TSV(R) Preview
34 Members and 14352 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Shopping QVC online....

Started 1263211611 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1263240981 by bonnielu
I seldom watch QVC shows anymore. The limited quantities-sense of urgency selling doesn't appeal to me. I hate rushing to the phone to compete with other shoppers (and realizing later I've bought something that's not right for me).
I do like to look at clothes online, especially the newer items.
But if I find something I like, it's usually sold out in the best color(s) or in my size.
Example: A96299, Denim & Co top, which I think is cute in pale blue, sold out in small. I don't enjoy Waitlist, for many reasons.
This is why I end up at Macy's or Talbots!
To be fair, any store can run out of a size or color. But, the B&M stores don't have on-air presentations to compete with, and they don't purposely order small quantities to create a feeding frenzy.
For those of you who shop QVC online, how successful are you?
--
Edited by peachesncream at 01/11/2010 3:08 AM PST

Page 1 of 1
Miss Elain­e Eous12632181552257 PostsRegistered 1/11/2007
I like to view the Items Recently on Air feature and use it to review items at my leisure. There is no big "rush to the phones" or "we only have 100 of these to go around" so I don't feel pressured to buy.
I also read the threads here about items of interest which helps me make my decision.
Having said that, I have purchased fewer fashion items from the Q over the last year or so - I'm just more choosy about the purchases without all the hype. My return percentage is practically nil.
I also have good luck at B&M stores and usually score great deals at TJ Maxx.

ladyroxanne126322281210971 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca
I do most of my QVC shopping online, also. Less pressure and hassle and I can shop at my leisure.

~k~12632229432478 PostsRegistered 2/8/2007
I'm another, if I am going to shop the Q - - it's always online - - less impulse shopping that way!B-)
--
~ You may have the right - - but that doesn't make it right! ~

~You may have the right - but that doesn't make it right~

twisan1263223365499 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006
Peaches, etal,
I also seldom watch unless it is a show that I really want to watch in person (Louis Dell"olio, e.g.). For some things, I do call in but I mostly order online.
I always monitor the IROA
Regards,
S-

imaclothes­hog126322344120377 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
I think QVC's hosts have slipped into a high powered sales push for just about everything now and I hate it. I rarely watch QVC anymore unless it's a show I really really care about.
Often I will watch a streaming moment or two from the website just to see what they are showing or to see what host is hosting a show etc.
I would guesstimate that I do 99.8% of my QVC shopping online. I can't remember the last time I watched tv and picked up a phone to order anything.
I also find that if I am shopping online for something particular, I can compare item prices and S&H rates with other websites to see if I am getting the best price or best S&H deal on what I am considering purchasing.
My shopping habits have changed tremendously since I have learned how to access different coupons online and find out about different deals each website offers and when to shop to get the best price for what I want.
The shopping channel hard sells really turns me off.
--
Edited by Amphitrite at 01/11/2010 6:25 AM PST

Last edited on 1/11/2010

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

Rock_chick12632239738293 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas
I think I'm very happy with my Q purchases. However, there are only about 4 fashion items. Lots of jewelry, something for the home here and there... and gifts.
--
With hope and heart, Kathleen
--
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~ Jesse Jackson

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

NYClovesQVC1263224614190 PostsRegistered 4/16/2009
It's hit or miss for me shopping at QVC. For some products like fashion and accessories, it's overpriced. And for clothes I end up sending back about 90% of what I buy. All the lines are cut different and most XS items are cut like S or M compared to B&M stores. I shop everywhere, online, instore etc. Most of my purchases made at QVC are jewelry. And for the most part I am satisfied but wish there were more deals on shipping, pricing etc.
I can say buying and returning gets tedious and expensive but I'm the same way with shopping at stores. I take it home and try it on and then end up returning what I don't like or want. In terms of cost it comes out the same for gas, time, waiting in line etc...

pw1263229226313 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
For me shopping online is like window shopping. I can get ideas for outfits and how I want to put them together while looking at everything online. If I can't find what I want here at the Q online, then I go out to the mall.

stevieb126323468525292 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007
I shop exclusively on-line, usually based on having seen something presented that I put on my wish list, consider over time and then order (or decide not to). Very occasionally, I will see something on-air and decide right then and there that I want it and order on-line. I find that a good amount of what I order is available and is shipped out, but I also increasingy sit on wait list for certain items, almost all of which, however, have eventually come in. There are also times when I select something by viewing the website and have never seen the item presented and in most of those cases the items ships quickly and is rarely on waitlist.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and I should have my head examined...

KonaKat12632358316909 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006
A round trip to shop takes me three hours and often when I get there, the selection in my size of XL is somewhat limited or not as stylish as the smaller sizes. In addition, often the larger sizes are $3 or more higher than the smaller sizes for an extra inch of material.
When I shop online, I can see immediately what is available in my size. Also, it saves me much time on the road and wear and tear on the car for mileage that may not result in a purchase. Online shopping is convenience. Yes, sometimes I may have to return something but I also have to do that if the item I tried on in the store doesn't really work when I get it home. Then there becomes the cost of getting in the car and spending three hours, etc. to return it.
--
"A House is Not a Home Unless It Has a Cat!!"..Thus Said Midnight!
QVC Member since the merger with CVN....many dollars and products ago!:)

A house is not a home unless it has a cat!. ...Thus said Midnight!
QVC Member since merger with CVN.... many dollars and products ago!

qvcaddition12632359645152 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007
I do exactly like ms Elaine does. I put on check than read reviews and think about it for a day or so and either buy or take off. You don't need to rush to the phones unless you don't have a computer.

Bbe1263236672107 PostsRegistered 12/19/2009
I'd rather watch Q and order by phone, simply because I don't like how the online ordering system works. HSN is set up much easier (for me) so with that show I ALWAYS ORDER online.

And did everyone know that if you order from HSN online you pay no state tax? Why can't Q do that? Today, every penny counts.

KonaKat12632367556909 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006
I haven't rushed to the phones for years. It doesn't permit you to use your cash back referral site. In addition, shopping online permits time to think while reserving the item for as long as you keep adding items to the cart.....or for up to two weeks if you use check status.
--

qvcaddition12632367855152 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007
Bbe, very simple online. Just click to put in cart and follow instructions. You can read the reviews and look at the items up close from different angles. Very simple. Try it, you'll like it.

KonaKat12632374226909 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006
Bbe, the Q has a "presence" in every state by virtue of its 50 in 50 states tours, etc. As a result of this presence, state tax must be paid in those states requiring it. In fact, our state at one time asked people on its returns to list how much they had paid on internet sales, etc. out of state and whether it had been taxed for the state. If not, they asked for some money to compensate for the tax loss. I doubt that many reported it when that was on the forms.
--
--
Edited by KonaKat at 01/11/2010 10:18 AM PST

Last edited on 1/11/2010

peachesncr­eam12632377081709 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005
So, are you all saying that if I choose "pay by check" in the checkout process, that the item is essentially put on hold for a period of time? It won't be shipped?
And then, I could in and either cancel the order, or change it to paying by credit card (a day or a week later)?
What happens if I forget about and never go back to change or complete that order?
And, can you combine Waitlist with "pay by check" or is Waitlist only for those using a credit card?

Bbe1263238556107 PostsRegistered 12/19/2009
>
> Very simple. Try it, you'll like it.
Thanks for your comment QA. I have tried it. That's how I came to not like it. :-) I prefer the drop down menu where I can see exactly what I'm ordering. I'm not fond of just clicking on a little box and hoping I got the right one. (if I click on the color blue for instance, I have to hope it's blue, because nothing tells me it is until I go to my cart and look at what I've just ordered. I tend to rush through when I see something I like. With drop down menu's, you see:
(size) Medium
(color) Blue
(quantity) 1
To me, THAT'S easy. :-)

KonaKat12632386696909 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006
Peachesncream, if you put something on check status and don't convert it to another payment form or actually end in a check by the required time, the Q will cancel the order for you.
I was on a trip and did not want an item shipped while I was gone. I put it on check status and when I returned, I converted it to a card. I've also used it to reserve an item while thinking about it and then got so busy that I forgot and the Q cancelled it for me. I've had no bad consequences as a result of doing this. It does, however, keep someone else from getting the item while you debate it if it has gone to waitlist after you placed the check status order.
--

Bbe1263238794107 PostsRegistered 12/19/2009
> Bbe, the Q has a "presence" in every state by virtue
> of its 50 in 50 states
Hi KonaKat,
Does that mean that HSN does not have that presence in every state?

KonaKat12632392206909 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006
Bbe, HSN has no presence in my state as it has not been here doing shows and selling products nor do they have any facility here. They do have a center from which they ship six hours from me in an out of state location but which takes over a week for the item to reach me.
--
--
Edited by KonaKat at 01/11/2010 10:49 AM PST

Last edited on 1/11/2010

Bbe1263240540107 PostsRegistered 12/19/2009
Bbe, HSN has no presence in my state
KonaKat,
I might be viewing this wrong, but it seems to me that this is just a case of "if there is a will, there is a way."

bonnielu12632407535031 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland
I am more comfortable buying online because it is on my terms. I can be the biggest impulse buyer there is and I am not happy with myself after the fact. I have been using the wish list and forgetting about it, if I do shop online. And sometimes if I am almost sure I use the check payment system.
Honestly, going to the malls is not my kind of fun. I have better luck with catalog and online sales. Everything fits online, nothing fits me in a store.

bonnielu12632409815031 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland
Comment about check payment. I use this method to put a barrier between me and my impulse to buy. The item is siimply put on hold until I pay for it. There is a time limit. Usually within a few hours I cancel. Or if I do happen to forget, obviously I did not need it in the first place. If I do really want the item, I call back and pay by credit card.

Page 1 of 1