TSV(R) Preview
163 Members and 16621 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Tracfone and Facebook

Started 1278775114.183 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1278982168.497 by kalina
replies

I have a question. I decided to give up my AT&T wireless for a Tracfone. Before I take it out of the packaging, I would like to know if I will be able to send pictures from the new Samsung T301G phone to facebook.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1
i_e_ bear1278785805.92205 PostsRegistered 6/14/2010

In general, as long as the phone has a camera that can upload photos and the ability to connect to the Internet, you should be able to.

Why not contact Tracfone CS to get a definitive answer?

kalina1278820870.183193 PostsRegistered 12/17/2004
On 7/10/2010 i_e_ bear said:

In general, as long as the phone has a camera that can upload photos and the ability to connect to the Internet, you should be able to.

Why not contact Tracfone CS to get a definitive answer?

I got my question answered on the tracfone forum. The answer was confusing. It sounded like a "pat" answer for multiple questions and didn't sound like it was specific to my question. I simply asked if I could send pictures from my phone to facebook. I never asked about PC connectivity via blue tooth or USB.This is what they told me:

Samsung T301G does not support PC connectivity via Bluetooth or USB. TracFone Wireless does not have any phones that download or upload photo into a computer. Hence, you cannot post pictures to Facebook using your Samsung T301G. You may visit the TracFone website at www.tracfone.com for more information. I believe this answers your question. It’s been a pleasure helping you. Have a nice day.

Some people on the tracfone facebook page said they had trouble posting pictures and some said they finally were able to do it. I want to be able to do it consistantly.

I will also ask CS when I call to activate my husband's new phone, but for now I will keep AT&T.

Thank you i_e_bear for responding to my post.

Deuces Wild1278849943.5271587 PostsRegistered 7/20/2009
On 7/10/2010 kalina said:

I got my question answered on the tracfone forum. The answer was confusing. It sounded like a "pat" answer for multiple questions and didn't sound like it was specific to my question. I simply asked if I could send pictures from my phone to facebook. I never asked about PC connectivity via blue tooth or USB.This is what they told me:

Samsung T301G does not support PC connectivity via Bluetooth or USB. TracFone Wireless does not have any phones that download or upload photo into a computer. Hence, you cannot post pictures to Facebook using your Samsung T301G. You may visit the TracFone website at www.tracfone.com for more information. I believe this answers your question. It’s been a pleasure helping you. Have a nice day.

Some people on the tracfone facebook page said they had trouble posting pictures and some said they finally were able to do it. I want to be able to do it consistantly.

I will also ask CS when I call to activate my husband's new phone, but for now I will keep AT&T.

Thank you i_e_bear for responding to my post.

If that is an important feature for you, then it sounds like this may not be the right cell phone. Although there are ways around it -

If this phone can use a microSD card, you can take your cell phone pix, take out the card and with an adapter & a card reader, both inexpensive, upload them to FB from your computer, or -

as i e bear suggested, if the phone can upload photos and can access the Internet, you then send them to your FB page without needing USB or Bluetooth connectivity, which is implying you currently download your cell phone pix to your computer first and then post to FB. If the phone gives you web access, you can skip the computer step.

Either this phone can or cannot allow you to post to FB and I wouldn't make a determination by reading a handful of user posts that say they are having problems. The cause could just be user error.

In general, one of the downsides of pre-paid plans are the phones that are offered are usually not as feature rich as those the carriers offer for contract plans. At least for now.

If you are still interested in prepaid, check out Virgin Mobile and Straight Talk (offered by Walmart and using Verizon's prepaid network), who may have more robust offerings for those who do more than talk on their cell phones.

Last edited on 7/11/2010

Last edited on 7/11/2010

kalina1278879402.303193 PostsRegistered 12/17/2004

Thank you, deuces wild for answering my post. It is important for me to post to facebook from my phone. I didn't want to go through a computer. I could just use my camera if I wanted to do that. I am going to hold off of tracfone and stick to AT&T for awhile. I should just call AT&T and give them the error number that comes up when I try to post to facebook or download ringtones and have them work on it.

Thanks again to i-e-bear and Deuces Wild for responding.

Tgbtg1278965322.897529 PostsRegistered 6/2/2009

I switched from a contract with AT&T to Straight Talk and have never looked back. It cut my cell phone bill in half, and my new phone was paid for by the difference in cost of service in 3.5 months. I have more minutes/data/texts than I ever had with my AT&T plan. I do the 1000 min/1000 texts/30 MB of data for $30 a month. They also have a $45 per month unlimited plan.

You can post pictures to Facebook. I have the Samsung R451C; it is a candy bar-style phone with qwerty keyboard. There are two more phones more expensive than this one (a blackberry-style Samsung and a touchscreen Samsung) that I'm sure would upload photos just as easily.

We have a weekend place at the lake, and I use the internet capabilities on my phone to check the weather, Facebook, my email, QVC, and HSN. I have also used Google search on it. The internet is limited as it is not like a Droid or IPhone, but it is plenty enough for me.

Do a "Straight Talk" search on here to see my posts and other's concerning ST. The service uses Verizon prepaid towers for its carrier. ST is now coming out with some phones that use AT&T's towers, so if that is important to you, make sure you purchase the phone that will use the towers you want. It will say it on the box (CDMA is Verizon...not sure what AT&T will say).

Advice: Purchase your phone either at a Wal-Mart or use Wal-Mart's website to get a phone/airtime card package. I noticed that on the website in the package, you get your first airtime card free whereas in the store, you have to purchase the card. Activate your phone online, and refill every month on the 29th day online. CS is outsourced, and I've heard it can be a source of frustration on a case-by-case basis. I haven't had any experience with CS so can't comment. I've also heard about some issues with auto-refill so have chosen not to participate in that option. I just refill online using my CC each month. Even though it's not supposed to per ST's terms and conditions, my minutes/texts/data roll over. Right now, I have 39 hours of talk time, 85 MB of data, and over 2000 texts available!

I am VERY happy and satisfied with the service and plan to continue to use it indefinitely. Clear, consise calls, no dropped calls, and a great coverage area all for $30 a month. You can also go to www.straighttalk.com to check out their website and get more info. HTH!

kalina1278982168.497193 PostsRegistered 12/17/2004

Thank you luvmyboston for all the information. I think I will do some research on it and make a decision from there. It sounds great.

Page 1 of 1