Creede Silver Sale
158 Members and 16092 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Why does my Laptop Adapter Charger get SO HOT.....

Started 1274552495.99 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1276047892.067 by Che99

I can't even touch it.  I think it is the reason why it blew my battery and itself out last week.  I got a new battery and a new adapter and the same thing is happening. 

Any suggestions on what is causing this? or what I can or should do?

TIA

Page 1 of 1
chickenbutt1274552843.49323969 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Is it that middle part, or the part of the adapter where it plugs in to the wall?  I ask because the middle part on all 4 of my laptops gets kind of hot when I'm on for a while so I just figured it was normal.   I don't think they get that hot, to the point where I cannot touch them, though.

I just saw another recall yesterday for HP batteries.  I don't know if this relates to your problem at all but if you have an HP you might want to check to see if you have one of the affected batteries.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Bella HS1274553071.28076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

Its the adapter itself that is so hot.  iI have it plugged into a laptop surge protector and that is cool.  The battery is a Dell so no recall.   

IEBear1274553750.427217 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010

If the adapter is getting so hot that you can't touch this, it sounds to me that this might be beyond normal, though some people are more sensitive to temperature than others, and you have an overheating problem.

It could be some strange luck that you got 2 bad adapters but how are you cooling your laptop?  And are the fans in the laptop running?

IEBear1274554204.557217 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
On 5/22/2010 Bella HS said:

The battery is a Dell so no recall.   

Dell has had a series of battery and adapter recalls.  Details are here.

Bella HS1274557718.7378076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 5/22/2010 IEBear said:

If the adapter is getting so hot that you can't touch this, it sounds to me that this might be beyond normal, though some people are more sensitive to temperature than others, and you have an overheating problem.

It could be some strange luck that you got 2 bad adapters but how are you cooling your laptop?  And are the fans in the laptop running?

The fans are running and it is so hot that it feels scalding.  I just unplugged it and am on battery only now as I had to cool this darn thing down.

{#emotions_dlg.glare}

chickenbutt1274557853.16723969 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

That doesn't sound good. :(  With mine, where you plug it into the wall and where you plug it into the laptop those two ends stay cool.  That big, heavy box that is in the middle gets kind of hot after a while that that is what I was thinking of.

Could it be something in your outlet?  Is the electrical in your house particularly old?  Maybe it's on that end.  It's hard to imagine getting two different defective AC adapters.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

IEBear1274558953.17217 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
The fans are running and it is so hot that it feels scalding.  I just unplugged it and am on battery only now as I had to cool this darn thing down.

So if I understand you correctly, only the adapter runs hot and when you are running your laptop off your batteries, everything works fine, no funny smells and no too hot to touch on the laptop, right?

I don't know if there is a power setting option on the laptop that needs to be checked, but if it's only the adapter that runs hot and you suspect that also killed your 1st battery pack, you should contact Dell but also go on to their support site and use their troubleshooting tools, including "Guide Me" & their technical support page where you enter your service tag or model number.

Bella HS1274559121.2138076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 5/22/2010 chickenbutt said:

That doesn't sound good. :(  With mine, where you plug it into the wall and where you plug it into the laptop those two ends stay cool.  That big, heavy box that is in the middle gets kind of hot after a while that that is what I was thinking of.

Could it be something in your outlet?  Is the electrical in your house particularly old?  Maybe it's on that end.  It's hard to imagine getting two different defective AC adapters.

Yes.  It's only the big heavy part.  It's not an electrical problem with the rest of my house or anything like that.  It gets so hot that if my pillow is near it I can smell something almost burning.

Bella HS1274559264.6538076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

So if I understand you correctly, only the adapter runs hot and when you are running your laptop off your batteries, everything works fine, no funny smells and no too hot to touch on the laptop, right?

I don't know if there is a power setting option on the laptop that needs to be checked, but if it's only the adapter that runs hot and you suspect that also killed your 1st battery pack, you should contact Dell but also go on to their support site and use their troubleshooting tools, including "Guide Me" & their technical support page where you enter your service tag or model number.

This is the exact situation.  I will head over to Dell's page.  I think the fact that I buy the adapters on Ebay might be the problem.  They are the exact replacement part though.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

IEBear1274559803.367217 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
This is the exact situation.  I will head over to Dell's page.  I think the fact that I buy the adapters on Ebay might be the problem.  They are the exact replacement part though.

Ut Oh! You may have answered why those adapters are running hot.  There can't be big money in counterfeit computer accessories, but I would be suspect of buying that kind of stuff on eBay, even from someone who is rated well.

Bella HS1274570849.6878076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

Ut Oh! You may have answered why those adapters are running hot.  There can't be big money in counterfeit computer accessories, but I would be suspect of buying that kind of stuff on eBay, even from someone who is rated well.

I'm thinking this is the problem....

I look for sellers who have 100% ratings and I can see that hundreds of people  are buying them and I assumed I found a good way to save myself some money.....but it maybe a case of getting what I paid for.

IEBear1274572131.05217 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
I'm thinking this is the problem….I look for sellers who have 100% ratings and I can see that hundreds of people  are buying them and I assumed I found a good way to save myself some money.....but it maybe a case of getting what I paid for.

Some things are just not worth trying to save a couple of bucks on, IMO.  

A bad adapter has already caused you to replace the battery.

The value of your laptop, not to mention all the data that is on it (and I hope you regularly backup your data), is far in excess of what it costs to get the adapter made for your laptop directly from Dell or their authorized reseller.

Bella HS1274575917.3078076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
I'm thinking this is the problem….I look for sellers who have 100% ratings and I can see that hundreds of people  are buying them and I assumed I found a good way to save myself some money.....but it maybe a case of getting what I paid for.

Some things are just not worth trying to save a couple of bucks on, IMO.  

A bad adapter has already caused you to replace the battery.

The value of your laptop, not to mention all the data that is on it (and I hope you regularly backup your data), is far in excess of what it costs to get the adapter made for your laptop directly from Dell or their authorized reseller.

IEBear....your right.  As we speak the adapter is practically on fire and even smells.  I'm going to have to give up using my computer for a few days since I don't think I want it to burn my battery out again.

Thanks for commiserating with me.

chickenbutt1274577565.38723969 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I know how you feel, Bella!  My first laptop was a Dell and, at that time not having extra computers like I do now, I wanted an extra AC Adapter so I could have one plugged in the living room and the other in my bdrm. 

I got my spare on ebay, because they were pretty expensive, and I lucked out as both of mine work just fine.  If I knew if it worked for your Dell I'd send you one of mine.  They are in perfect condition and don't overheat.  My Dell is a Inspiron 6400 and it IS the exact same Dell branded one that came with my laptop.

Anyway, I think I'd stop using that one whenever you can.  You don't want it blowing out your battery or, worse, your entire laptop!

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Bella HS1274578801.568076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 5/22/2010 chickenbutt said:

I know how you feel, Bella!  My first laptop was a Dell and, at that time not having extra computers like I do now, I wanted an extra AC Adapter so I could have one plugged in the living room and the other in my bdrm. 

I got my spare on ebay, because they were pretty expensive, and I lucked out as both of mine work just fine.  If I knew if it worked for your Dell I'd send you one of mine.  They are in perfect condition and don't overheat.  My Dell is a Inspiron 6400 and it IS the exact same Dell branded one that came with my laptop.

Anyway, I think I'd stop using that one whenever you can.  You don't want it blowing out your battery or, worse, your entire laptop!

That is such a kind offer....I'm just happy that you had good luck.  I really haven't had any good luck with replacement computer parts on ebay.

Thanks again

Che991276047892.0471 PostsRegistered 6/8/2010

I contacted HP directly since my laptop is still under the 1 year warrenty -- regarding the overheating of my laptop AND the adaptor. They are sending me a new adaptor (just that piece -- NOT the entire power cord). Also, they took me through uploading new firmware that is supposed to resolve the laptop overheating problem. I asked the technician how often the 'fix' works -- he indicated the firmware fix works 60% of the time. If it doesn't work, It goes to part 2 -- not certain what that involves. I'll keep you posted on how it works.

Last edited on 6/8/2010

Last edited on 6/8/2010

Page 1 of 1