Respected Contributor

I kept putting this off.........

I knew for security reasons it was wise to either use a pin number or fingerprint for my iPhone 6..........I tried the pin number, but hated always having to enter it every time I looked at something on my phone and I kept putting off the fingerprint thing.......decided to do it this morning.....wow, so easy, fast, and probably the best way to go for security!!

Honored Contributor

Re: I kept putting this off.........

Yep, I love that feature. I have several fingers scanned and it makes it easy.

Super Contributor

Love, love, love Touch ID. One of the best innovations in mobile technology, IMO.

The trick is to register the finger you use the most twice. Since I read that hint and register my right thumb on 2 of the 5 available fingerprint slots I haven't had any errors. Many apps that I use now have Touch ID enabled, therefore I don't have to type a password to activate my account or to pay when shopping from within the app. I ordered the Apple Watch through the Apple Store app -- took about 30 seconds to complete the purchase. Open the app, select the watch I wanted, place my thumb on the Home button to activate Touch ID -- zap -- done! It took longer for the confirmation email to arrive than it did to buy the watch.

Apple Pay is another feature I love using with Touch ID. Even though there's not many stores in my town that have it enabled on their terminals, I use it where I can and especially when I travel to larger cities. It's extremely easy to set up. Open the PassBook app, take a pic of your debit or credit card (must be issued by a bank that has enabled Apple Pay), verification is sent to you that your bank has activated your account to use Apple Pay.

When using Apple Pay in a retail store, you just hold your phone up to the terminal -- you don't even have to turn it on. The terminal will recognize that your phone is capable of using digital payment and bring up PassBook. You select the card you want to use (if you have more than one card registered), hold your finger on the Home button to send payment and ZAP -- the receipt starts printing.

Using Apple Pay is much more secure than using a debit or credit card. Your credit/debit card number is not shared with the merchant -- unlike the strip on the back of those cards which transmits your number to the merchant. Merchants keep that info in their databases and hackers may gain access to your credit card number -- which is what happened when Target and Home Depot were hacked.

The only info the merchant will receive from Apple Pay is verification from your bank that you have funds available to pay from the debit card, or that your credit card account will be accepted. Nothing else is transmitted to the merchant.

Super Contributor

That's great! I still have iPhone 5, which doesn't have Touch ID. The 5s was the first with it. I am in envy. Hate, hate, hate dealing with password, especially when my fat fingers hit the wrong numbers/letters.
Esteemed Contributor

Chalk, great info. I especially like what you say about Apple pay. Will try to set that up. I didn't realize you could use more than one fingerprint. I used my right thumb and that is working well. I have iPhone 6+ and love it. It's my first 'smart' phone. I wanted a phablet. Hardly ever use the phone. Thanks for sharing. LM