Super Contributor

I use Norton Internet Security and have always purchased the yearly update at Office Max or Staples in a box that contained a disc (CD Rom) you put in and it put the program on your computer.

From what I can tell, they don't sell the CD version anymore, you have to buy it as a download with key card to renew. I looked on the Internet, but it's hard to find the CD version anymore.

Just wondering if this is the norm and if it's safe to do it that way? I just hate how EVERYTHING in technology keeps changing. They think it's "easier" but 9 times out of 10 it's more work and more of a headache.

Am I okay in buying the key version for the download?

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Anti-Virus Renewal Question

No one reading this has thoughts? Oh well, thought the Electronics group could offer some advice.

Honored Contributor

It's Ok to do that. You would need to keep track of the code or what they give you to install it in case you have to re-install it. You will need that code. Better yet why don't you just use Microsoft Security Essentials? It's free. That's what I have on our desktop. DH also uses it on 1 laptop & his new laptop with 8.1 he uses something free that came with it. Cannot think of the name of it. If you decide to use the Microsoft Security Essentials you would need to uninstall your Norton or the 2 will compete with each other.

Honored Contributor

I've been using downloads for years and have never had a problem - anti-virus software, games, productivity, etc.. I can't remember the last time I used a CD to install something.

Super Contributor

Thanks. Good to know. I have Windows 7.

I'll also look into the Microsoft security, but people I know told me to not rely on that one in case Microsoft has some virus issues and their security software isn't detecting it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Apple Head said:

Thanks. Good to know. I have Windows 7.

I'll also look into the Microsoft security, but people I know told me to not rely on that one in case Microsoft has some virus issues and their security software isn't detecting it.

I am using AVG on a Window 7 computer. The free program is very nice. This free program even scans your emails.
Trusted Contributor

Apple Head, there are still antivirus programs out there in retail, where you can still buy the disk for the program.

If I recall correctly, I have seen them at both Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

If you want to buy an antivirus program online, you will be given the program license/key by the vendor when you buy the program.

I have used free programs, and have liked them. I liked the free version of Avast, that I decided to try the trial version of their Internet Security program. When the trial was up, I ended up buying the program.

Super Contributor

It is fine to download, as long as you pay are sure that where you are downloading from is in fact the company website, or reputable partner of that company. Downloading versus using CD is much more efficient, for both the consumer and manufacturer. I am sure you'll find, in time as you get used to the process, that it is actually more effecient for you too. No need for CDs anymore, in fact, my current computer doesn't even have a slot for that. One note about Norton Antivirus, the full suite is offered as a free download to Comcast customers. I used that for years with no problem previously when I used a PC as my computer. No longer needed with my Mac computer. When you think of the annual cost of antivirus software, given this is the full suite offered, it is a nice benefit Comcast offers its customers. If you use Comcast, let me know, and I will provide directions on how to locate the area on their website for you to download.
Esteemed Contributor

CDs are pretty much a thing of the past. Many of the newer laptops don't even come with a drawer anymore. I haven't had a CD for any purpose for a number of years. Last year my new version of office was only a download and my new printer didn't come with a CD either. It actually displayed a message asking me if I wanted it to deal with hooking up to the computer all by itself and I would only throw up my hands and go ""whatever"".

It will be fine to download. Just be very sure you are on the correct website and keep track of any auto renewal charges on your credit card.

Super Contributor

I still burn CD's for gifts and just to have neat CD's to play with my music. My Dell still has a CD slot, but sad that it is becoming obsolete.

How will I make CD's for people now? {#emotions_dlg.sad}