Honored Contributor

HELP, PLEASE ... IS A "DRIVER" A LEGITIMATE PROGRAM?

I've been through a laptop crisis this past week .... my Google Chrome crashed and I had a virus ... or something. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Anyway, I finally got my laptop cleaned up,deleted several suspicious downloads, uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, and I thought all was well again.

Now I keep getting these screens (that aren't Microsoft prompts) that my "drivers" are either out of date or missing, and please install ..... is this legit, or another virus issue? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

If "drivers" are necessary, can you recommend a good one to download? TIA!

Tink

Valued Contributor

Re: HELP, PLEASE ... IS A "DRIVER" A LEGITIMATE PROGRAM?

From my non-tech POV, drivers allow programs to operate. I am not familiar w/Chrome. DH is; but, he's at work. What you are seeing is probably malware, just needing a click to invade your computer. If you need add-ons, ie, Adobe Player, Reader, Java, Google, etc, go to the manufacturer's websites to get the programs. Even that can be tricky because there are spoof websites that look nearly like the legitimate ones.
Super Contributor

Yes, they are absolutely necessary. They're what allow your computer add-ons to work. PC-matic is a free website - very reliable, by the way - that can scan your computer and tell you what drivers are not installed or are out of date. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, by all means, take your computer to a reliable tech and have them updated.

Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

Search online what you see on your screen. I'm not that computer savvy but I do know there are drivers sometimes you need to update for your printer.

What is a driver?

A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware or devices. Without drivers, the hardware you connect to your computer—for example, a video card or a printer—won't work properly.

In most cases, drivers come with Windows or you can find them by going to Windows Update in Control Panel and checking for updates. If Windows doesn't have the driver you need, go to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center website, which lists thousands of devices, and has direct links to driver downloads. Also, you can often find drivers on the disc that came with the hardware or device you want to use, or on the manufacturer's website.

For more information, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-driver#1TC=windows-7

Honored Contributor

Drivers are necessary. I can't recommend a good one to download because hardware items have their own drivers. I always download them from the company that made the equipment that needs the new drivers (e.g., printers, graphics cards, motherboards etc). Without knowing more, I can't help you because I don't know what you saw and if it's legit or not.

When does your driver message pop up?

What EXACTLY does the message say? I find it helpful to take screen shots of error messages so that I can look up the message or the picture on to tech support.

If you think you have a virus, you should run your anti-virus/malware programs and check the results.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

I've been through a laptop crisis this past week .... my Google Chrome crashed and I had a virus ... or something. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Anyway, I finally got my laptop cleaned up,deleted several suspicious downloads, uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, and I thought all was well again.

Now I keep getting these screens (that aren't Microsoft prompts) that my "drivers" are either out of date or missing, and please install ..... is this legit, or another virus issue? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Tink

It's malware. You need to update and run all of your security scans.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 glb613 said:
On 3/24/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Tink

It's malware. You need to update and run all of your security scans.

I agree. Pop-ups advising you that you need to add anything are almost always malware. You've likely still got an issue of some sort going on and your computer likely needs a good cleaning. Operating systems are very good at finding and installing the proper drivers for devices, so any time you see a pop-up saying you need a driver, you're more than likely installing more malware instead of a new driver.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Your operating system doesn't keep track of drivers for peripherals like printers or programs like adobe flash. You may get pop ups to update the drivers for those, but they aren't malware but they tell you what program or device needs the update and they take you to the official website. They don't just say generically "your drivers".

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 jaxs mom said:

Your operating system doesn't keep track of drivers for peripherals like printers or programs like adobe flash. You may get pop ups to update the drivers for those, but they aren't malware but they tell you what program or device needs the update and they take you to the official website. They don't just say generically "your drivers".

You will never get a popup for drivers. You may get popups for a software update, like Adobe flash or reader, but never for drivers. This is spam or malware and needs to be removed.

Honored Contributor

Drivers are software.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval