Super Contributor

iPhone 5s conundrum: how do I delete songs??

I've got a 5s running iOS 8.2. I've got some songs on there that I absolutely did not buy. I have an entire album by U2. I don't mind U2 but I surely wouldn't have bought an entire album by them. I cannot figure out how to delete those songs from my phone.

Someone said you have to go directly to iTunes. So on my iMac I went to iTunes and it doesn't even show that I have songs from U2 under the Artists!! How the heck do I delete these songs??

TIA

Valued Contributor

Re: iPhone 5s conundrum: how do I delete songs??

They were put on free at some point, if I recall. If you search for directions to remove them on the internet, you should be able to.

Honored Contributor

The U2 album was probably that promo one they "gave away" on itunes to everyone. In ios 8 you can delete a whole album off your device by going to the album list, touch the album and then drag to the left then delete will appear, just tap delete. You can do similar to individual songs.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

LOL I've been trying to figure out how I got those U2 songs and how to get rid of them. Good to know I'm not alone!
Super Contributor

On 3/20/2015 jaxs mom said:

The U2 album was probably that promo one they "gave away" on itunes to everyone. In ios 8 you can delete a whole album off your device by going to the album list, touch the album and then drag to the left then delete will appear, just tap delete. You can do similar to individual songs.

When I saw this I thought, "Thank God". Well, I'm unable to drag to the left to show the Delete option. Every other album I can do it, but not that one. Oy.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201396
Super Contributor

The was loaded by Apple sometime last year. It was a promo they ran with U2 when they announced iOS8 and the iTunes update. The album of songs was a "gift", lol.

On the phone you'll need to delete the songs manually. Go to the song, then swipe left, then click delete.

You might still see the songs listed after you do this, but they will have a little cloud icon next to them. This means they are available for listening from the cloud (on wifi), or you can download it from the cloud (for free) again to your device.

You can try to remove them for good by going to iTunes on your PC/Mac. Locate the songs, and click delete.

It appears that you have auto update switched to on, on the iPhone. You can control auto updates for different things, like iTunes, Apps, Updates, Etc. This is in the settings app. The nice thing about having iTunes set to on, especially when you have your phone and other devices linked, is that when you download something on one device it will automatically sync/download to the others. Also for updates, keeping this set to on will automatically download and install updates to apps. This is good for those who don't keep up with updates to apps, especially since some updates are for bug fixed and security issues. Keep in mind, keeping auto updates (for any of the categories) set to on does run risk of using data on an iPhone, iPad, iPod device. It will update whenever the update is available, and won't pay attention to whether you are at home using free wifi, or out and about and using cellular. If you're out, its will use cellular, which is charged as data time.

Personally, I keep these switched to off. But I also have daily, weekly routines in place to check for updates - which I do at home using my wifi for free.

Super Contributor

On 3/21/2015 wildcat fan said: Have you tried these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201396

Thank you! That link took me where I needed to go to rid my phone of that nonsense.

All of you posters rock!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/21/2015 dionline said:
On 3/21/2015 wildcat fan said: Have you tried these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201396

Thank you! That link took me where I needed to go to rid my phone of that nonsense.

All of you posters rock!!!

It worked for me too. Smiley Happy However, it was a couple of hours later before it finally deleted, rather than an immediate delete.