Honored Contributor

Question About TWC And Phone Service

My elderly mother has the double play Internet and TV with TWC. They try to get her to take the triple play to include her phone. She has a landline phone and is with Verizon. She pays $90 some odd dollars a month. With the triple play she would pay what she is paying now for the double play and then no Verizon bill. I don't if she should stick with what she has or save money. Does anyone have their phone service with TWC, and do you like it? I also wonder if you don't like it can you easily go back to Verizon?
Honored Contributor

Re: Question About TWC And Phone Service

My family in Western NY all have TWC triple-play (phone, cable, and internet), and I think they're okay with it - as much as anyone ever is with his/her cable provider, no matter who it is. As you know, the savings are significant by putting all three services under the same provider. I have triple-play with Verizon, formerly had it with Comcast. One thing to consider since your mother is elderly: Generally speaking, if the power goes out, your cable goes out and so does your phone. You should confirm that with TWC. Verizon provides a battery backup unit that keeps your phone going for eight hours during a power outage. I don't know if other providers do that. Of course, if your mother has a cell phone, this isn't such an issue.

Honored Contributor

I worked for TWC for 16 years and NEVER got the phone service. If your cable goes out, you will also lose your phone line.

If your mom is elderly, a phone that works might be more important than saving money!

Respected Contributor

Negotiate with Verizon and see if you can get the bill reduced.

Honored Contributor

most modems for the phone service have a battery backup......i think ours lasts for about 10 hours or so with comcast if the electricity goes out. you might want to check in with that if she doesnt also have a cell phone.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

If her cable goes out, I think her phone will go out too. One of the reasons I won't combine my services with TWC no matter how many times they call me.

Trusted Contributor

jordan2, I have had cable, internet and phone service through TWC for a number of years. It is true that on occasion, service is disrupted for a short time---less than an hour--or for a longer period of time. Other than that, I don't know that their phone service is better or worse than a competitor. I don't think that switching to TWC and/or back to Verizon would be a big problem. There should be minimal downtime.

I would add that if I were fortunate enough to have an elderly mother, I would make sure that she had a phone back-up plan with a cell phone. I've purchased one of the Tracfones with 1,400 minutes for under $100.

For the situation that you are in, I would do what made my mom comfortable. If she feels comfortable with her current landline and doesn't want to switch, I wouldn't do it. An elderly mom's comfort doesn't have a price. If she feels she wouldn't mind trying TWC phone with a possible cell phone to use (wouldn't hurt her to carry a cell phone with her when she goes out of her home), then you two can decide which options works best for her needs.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your replies. I know she does have the battery backup in the basement from Verizon. She use to have a cellphone but doesn't anymore. It was really a waste of money because she is always with a family member with a cellphone and she would never have hers on anyway! I'm thinking she is better off the way she is now. I just may call Verizon and ""threaten"" a switch to see if they can do better! I know they weren't happy when I cancelled her cellphone.Thanks again.

Super Contributor

I don't have the triple play with TWC, rather it's with Comcast. The phone with cable works just as good as phone with any other company. With cable, if power goes out you can still have phone service. Just can't use a wireless phone. During the outage, the phone you use need to be connected directly to the phone jack. There should be a phone jack somewhere on the wall near where the cable modem is located. The cable cord and the phone jack are right next to each other, come from outside of the house, and both then run to the modem. I keep an old phone in that room (not connected) but if the power goes out I connect that old phone to the phone jack. All is fine. Considering your mom's bill is $90 per month with Verizon, I would switch to the TWC triple play. That's a huge savings over the course of a year.
Esteemed Contributor

The problem with TWC with a phone is that the line does do down with cable issues. This is especially dangerous if a medic alert is attached to the land line. We had this issue last week. I live in a high rise and some have TWCphones and others Verizon. The outage occurred Friday and residents called their prospective vendors. TWC came Saturday morning and corrected the problems but Verizon did not come until Monday. This was important to us as we do have seniors in the building who do live alone and their medic alerts connect via landlines.