Super Contributor

I Did It and I'm So Not A Techie!!

I just hooked up my Canon Laser Printer! I only had to call Office Max once because I couldn't find out how to start the installation after inputting the disk. I am not tech savvy. But, it prints and copies!!

I got a real good deal at Office Max... an all in one laser for $119.99 It was an $80 savings from all the rest of retail. I also got him to match the toner price at Staples, and that saved me $25.

I'm currently out of work and my darn HP ink jet was not working. I have had it with ink jets! This is a nice laser and I doubt I'll be printing 2400 pages very soon, so the toner should last long.

I'm just proud of little 'ol me doing it and facing my fear!

I do have to say, I had to buy a USB connector (it's a shame it doesn't come with one) but the Belkin they sold me said 3" and it wasn't even 2.5"! I had to move around tables to get the printer closer. I can always return it for a longer one, but more money of course. I just can't believe they sold that one as 3"!

Anyway, just had to share my excitement with you all. I am not a computer person and am actually scared of them. But I needed a printer to print resumes and job hunting materials. I kept putting it off, but the deal was too good to pass up and the printer had excellent reviews online. I can now save on making copies at UPS!

Now, if I could just find the perfect job. I got laid off of a job I worked at for 20 years. It was a merger and us long timers were let go. It's so not fair.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Did It and I'm So Not A Techie!!

Good for you! I not a techie either so I know how you feel. I also got a new printer and hooked it up myself. I had a brother (he passed away) and he would do everything for me without my even trying. It's funny what you can accomplish when you have to. I say it might take me longer than someone else but I do eventually get there. Congrats again!
Super Contributor

Thanks jordan...

I don't have anyone to help either. Oh, I have a PC guy I used once and he'll charge me $100 an hour. Ridiculous. I have male friends, but they never offer and I find it hard to ask for help.

But, it's done.

It's a crazy world we live in. We have to pay for cell phones, minutes, printers, toners, anti-virus software... just think we all lived without those things and were just fine. Imagine if we invested all the money we have to spend on technology, how wealthy we would be at retirement! I don't know how people do it who don't have savings. This new world of ours, even though it might be "more efficient" (barring the hacking that goes on) is it really helping us in the long run?

Respected Contributor

OMG, that's a big deal to be able to hook up the printer. I'm not sure I would be able to.

I have a friend whom I can call on when I really need HELP with my PC, but if I lose him, I'll be lost

Esteemed Contributor

Way to go girl!!

Honored Contributor

Apple Head, Good for you! Any time a person really tries, many times they will surprise even themselves with their, sometimes hidden, abilities. I have found from working with people my age or older, that many times the biggest issue with learning new technology, is their lack of confidence in themselves. My mother in law will be 90 years old this August and i taught her little by little how to do many different things with a computer and other new electronic format devices. While is always nice to have some one that is willing to help you, many times it is very gratifying to find out that many of these things can be done by taking one's time and learning one step at a time.One of the best helpers is to not be too shy to ask questions, even if they seem to be very basic ones.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

John, love that your 90 year old mom is connected!!! Good for you and her. LM

Honored Contributor

That is a proud moment. I couldn't believe I hooked up my wireless printer by myself and didn't use a life line.
Respected Contributor

Congratulations!

Hope you can get a job soon. Remember, you have to network. Tell everyone you know that you are looking for work. (You are not asking them for work.) Sitting home and emailing your resume won't work. Maybe you can volunteer somewhere to keep yourself busy, more networking, and show that you didn't just sit home during the time between jobs. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Congratulations!

I'm the same way! I had to buy a new printer a couple weeks ago and I was thinking to myself whether I would be able to successfully get it hooked up and going. But I did!