Valued Contributor

Help please--can't do Google searches on Chrome

A few days ago, I started having occasional problems doing searches with Google on Chrome. When doing a search, all I get is a blank page. This was happening on both of my computers--one with Windows 7 and the other with Windows 8.1. I have Chrome set as my default browser on both and Google as the home page. I have no problem doing Google searches on Internet Explorer nor do I have any issue on Chrome when using either Bing or Yahoo.

Last night, I decided to check and see if I had the latest version of Chrome. Didn't have, so updated it (on my 8.1 computer) and then things became worse. Before, I would just sometimes have this problem. Now, each and every time I do a search, I just get a blank page.

I've done all the suggestions made by someone on Chrome (Google)--1.) tried searching in incognito mode (no problem searching then), 2.) disabled the only extension I had (didn't help), 3.) ran Malwarebytes (nothing found), and 4.) reset the browser. The only thing I haven't done yet that was suggested to me is to reset my profile (not sure why that would help).

Would anyone have any idea what else I could try, or why I might be having this trouble? I probably should just uninstall and then re-install Chrome. Just hate to lose all my bookmarks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: Help please--can't do Google searches on Chrome

I forgot to add that, if I go on Chrome and first do a search using Bing or Yahoo and then go back to Google and do a search, Google then works. Same thing happens if I first do a search using any of the search engines on Internet Explorer and then go back to Chrome--everything's fine. ?????

Respected Contributor

Are you able to go to your chrome settings and see if you have google selected as your default search engine on chrome

click the chrome icon 3black bars on the browser toolbar

then settings

Valued Contributor

Yes, I have Google as my default search engine. I haven't a clue as to what's causing my problem. I would think the issue was with Chrome and/or Google, but I'm not finding any complaints online from other users.