Valued Contributor

How to transfer ownership of a notebook.

I gave my husband my HP notebook but I don't know how to transfer the ownership to his name. I keep having to do stuff with it as I am the Administrator and owner. The system is Windows 8.1 and I really do not want to take it back to factory condition. Is there an easier way to tell the computer he owns it now?

I know there are some computer techies out there - hoping someone can answer this question. Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Re: How to transfer ownership of a notebook.

Can't you as the current administrator, log on and under user accounts add Administrator to his log-in?

Respected Contributor

As posted, you can create a new adminstrator account. You need to make sure you enable it so he can do everything since not all functions are enabled by default. Read carefully and check the correct boxes. To have the owner changed, you need to get into the registry which don't suggest you do.
Super Contributor

Agree with others. Google how to create a 2nd administrator account on windows 8.1. Then once you have that set up, Google how to delete a second administrator account. The account you'll delete it yours. This will make him the only account left, which is the administrator account. You won't be able to delete your account if his account isn't set as administrator, so that will let you know if you set his up right. You need to be an administrator to delete another administrator account.
Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Lynnj said: Agree with others. Google how to create a 2nd administrator account on windows 8.1. Then once you have that set up, Google how to delete a second administrator account. The account you'll delete it yours. This will make him the only account left, which is the administrator account. You won't be able to delete your account if his account isn't set as administrator, so that will let you know if you set his up right. You need to be an administrator to delete another administrator account.

I'd make sure all programs work before deleting your account. The experts recommend you have 2 administrator accounts on all computers. I create a spare or second administrator account when my computes are new. If the main account becomes corrupted, you are still able to log onto the computer.

Regular Contributor

So if you're so tired of having to "Do STUFF" why not JUST GIVE HIM THE PASSWORD? You said he's your husband, what are you hiding?
Valued Contributor

WJ- So silly! He has the password. It's a question of ownership not secrets!
Respected Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Nicecupoftea said: WJ- So silly! He has the password. It's a question of ownership not secrets!

As I posted, creating a new administrator account doesn't give him ownership. To do that you need to get into the registry or reset back to factory specs.

Valued Contributor

Thank you glb613. I think I'll just forget it. I don't like either choice.
Trusted Contributor

If he already has the password for it, you could just leave everything as is, if you don't want to change anything over at this time.

As for the other poster with the unhelpful comments directed at you, just ignore. All that that poster usually does is just post inflammatory comments.