Valued Contributor

HELP!!! Problem with MS Word

Please allow me to begin by stating I am totally and completely electronically challenged. Thank You. Here's my issue. When I purchased my laptop several years ago, it came pre-loaded with Micro Soft Word 2010. I've typed letters, typed medical information, etc. on it and have several important things on it. It worked fine but now when I go to open it I receive the following message: 'Click-to-Run Application Manager. MS Word 2010 cannot be opened. Try again later or repair product in Control Panel.' I have no idea what they are talking about nor do I have any idea what to do. Even though I cannot open MS Word, is there anyway I can get my documents off of it? Can anyone offer advice? I thank you so much in advance. Also, there are times when I try to get on the QVC Forums and the computer just shuts down. It has happened once or twice on other sites but mostly on the Q Forums. Does anyone know what is causing this and how it can be remedied? Perhaps it's time for a new 'puter but I really don't have the money right now. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. docsgirl

Respected Contributor

Re: HELP!!! Problem with MS Word

Your documents should be stored in the Documents folder. You can copy them the put them on a flash drive. You should be making regular copies/backups of all of your important data.

Go to start, control panel, programs, scroll down the list, find Word 2010, select it and do a repair. Do you have the installation disk?

Valued Contributor

Hi glb613,

Thank you for responding. Whenever I tried to do a repair, I was told I had to activate Word 2010 and needed some kind of ID number. I don't have a number or an installation disk because the computer was an open-box item and everything was pre-installed. That was one of the main reasons I bought it. I don't even know where to find a Documents folder. Do you know where it would be and how I would access it? I'm sure at this point you can tell how computer illiterate I am. Thank you very, very much. docsgirl

Contributor

Found this article when I Googled that error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465140 Hope it helps!
Esteemed Contributor

If you can find your documents, try this. Move that folder to your desktop.

Open "All Programs"

click on "Accessories"

Right Click on "WordPad"

Click on "pin to Start Menu"

The program should be in your start menu which comes up when you click on the Windows Icon at the bottom left of your screen.

Click on "WordPad to open the program.

Under File on your top bar

Click "Open"

(Find folder on desktop) Open and click on your file.

Valued Contributor

Hi glb613,

Thank you for responding. Whenever I tried to do a repair, I was told I had to activate Word 2010 and needed some kind of ID number. I don't have a number or an installation disk because the computer was an open-box item and everything was pre-installed. That was one of the main reasons I bought it. I don't even know where to find a Documents folder. Do you know where it would be and how I would access it? I'm sure at this point you can tell how computer illiterate I am. Thank you very, very much. docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you purchased a short term version of MS Word which is often on computers and the time has run out. If this is the situation, you cannot activate it. You will need to purchase MSWord. You were using a trial version.

Valued Contributor

Zhills,

Thank you. I tried what you said and I was not able to open anything. I was able to open WordPad but it only gave me a blank page on which to type but I did not get any of the documents I moved to the Desktop. When I try to repair it, I get a message telling me I need to either provide the code to activate it or purchase it. If it was a trial version, would it last for over 3 years, which is the life of my computer so far. I always thought trial versions were good for 30, 60, or 90 days. I'm beyond upset and embarrassed by my stupidity. Thanks so much. docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

You are on the right track. Can you MINUS this page so it will go out of sight and open WordPad and come back her and maybe I can walk you through it. I believe I could over the phone but that is your choice. Remember that you have to REFRESH this site each time to see new posts.

Esteemed Contributor

I just tried and this method works on my computer.