Honored Contributor

What's the secret of turning the pages on a Kindle Paperwhite?

A friend loaned me this, thinking I would like it well enough to buy it from her. I love it, I can read while we are watching TV in the dark at night. One serious problem, I can't turn the pages consistently. She said tap it on the edge of the screen, right or left. About 50% of the time nothing happens, or a dictionary word turns up. I've turned it upside down, different angles, varied the strength of the taps. She had the same problem.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's the secret of turning the pages on a Kindle Paperwhite?

I don't tap mine, just swipe my finger or thumb right towards left to turn the page. I have the original kindle paperwhite, yours might be different. HTH

"To each their own, in all things".
Frequent Contributor

Tap it on the right of the page to go forward (but not too close to the top or you'll bring up the menu) and tap it to the left to go back a page. If you're getting the dictionary it's because you ""tapped"" way too hard. When you really do want to look up a word put your finger over that word and press down. Hopefully this will help you. Love my Paperwhite!

Honored Contributor

Try tapping the lower right quadrant and tap and release, don't press. The turn back a page, tap the far left side. Avoid tapping near the top or a menu comes up. Experiment with the speed and force you use to tap. Some people poke like they want to put and eye out and some longer too long. Play around until you get the speed and force that consistently work for you.
Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 snickster said:

I don't tap mine, just swipe my finger or thumb right towards left to turn the page. I have the original kindle paperwhite, yours might be different. HTH

Swiping works, too! Drag like you would a page corner.
Honored Contributor

I'm sure there are videos on you tube you can watch that will be helpful too...just enter into the search at you tube 'how to use a kindle paperwhite...

HTH