Respected Contributor

I have an old HP laptop. It will not let me do much anymore. It keeps telling me I need to update my browser that the things are no longer supported. My question is if I update the browser will it cause my laptop to crash?

Respected Contributor
How old and which browser?
Respected Contributor

It is probably about 5 years old and running Windows.

Respected Contributor

Please be specific so that someone can give advice. Which version of Windows: XP, Vista, etc. Which browser: I'm guessing you have Internet Explorer. Which version do you have?

Respected Contributor

Internet Explorer Windows 7 Home Edition

Trusted Contributor

What version of Internet Explorer do you have?

Are you getting any messages telling you what version you should update to?

You can do an update with it, but it isn't required that you have to use it.

I don't actually like using it on my computer. I prefer to use either Firefox or Chrome as my preferred browsers, so that is what I use-either one of them.

Respected Contributor

Our desktop computer is old too and running XP. We switched to Google Chrome browser and it works so much better. I stopped using Explorer on my laptop too and switched to Chrome. (Have Windows 7 on the laptop.)

Respected Contributor

It gets to the point where you update or you can't do anything. Windows 7 isn't a real old but if you haven't done any updates, your browser version may no longer be supported.

I also wonder how much malware you have? What kind of regular maintenance do you perform? Slow computers can benefit from a complete reset back to factory specs. While not difficult, it does take time.

Frequent Contributor
On 2/28/2015 clhs68 said:

Internet Explorer Windows 7 Home Edition

My Dell laptop is older than yours. I'm still running Windows Vista. I could only update to a certain level even though I was sometimes asked from some sites to update. I started having too many issues with Internet Explorer and switched to Google Chrome and don't have anymore issues.

Make sure you have Malwarebytes and a decent anti-virus. I had issues with free AVG so I switched to free Microsoft Security Essentials which both run on a schedule I put them on along with a weekly defragmenting.

If you Google updates for Windows 7 that should give you some helpful info. Some people don't like Chrome but for the most part I've found it better than IE.

Esteemed Contributor

I did read that Microsoft is not going to support windows 8 anymore or any software older then that.