Super Contributor

Can you help me with 'streaming' devices/cable tv?

Hello, we would like to get rid of cable due to lack of use and wasting money. We rarely watch tv, but we don't want to loose the few things we do watch: live sporting events (on major networks & ESPN etc.), a few primetime shows on major 3 networks (which we don't really need to see live--usu. DVDr and watch later), and some kids channels (sprout, nick jr.). I have apps for a few networks and can plug in the cable code to watch on ipad/phone. As far as I can tell, the apps only offer some of the content and are offered for a limited time only, so limits when you are able to view.) So, can we get rid of cable and still watch live tv? If we get rid of it, we will no longer have the codes to plug into the apps to that content. I have been researching appletv, roku, amazon fire, etc. but don't quite 'get it.' I have searched for the answer elsewhere, but the tech. talk lost me. TIA for any assistance ~smiles, SnowKita
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can you help me with 'streaming' devices/cable tv?

Respected Contributor

I'm not to electronically savvy.

Are you asking if you can live stream from a device onto your TV?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

If you want to watch live tv you need an antenna. Espn is not an over the air channel. Indoor antennas work pretty good if you are within 25 miles of your broadcast towers. Amazon sells them. you can check your address here http://www.antennaweb.org/ and at http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 to see what stations you might be able to get.

I have a roku3 on one tv and an amazon fire tv on the other. Hulu+ and netflix charge monthly fees. Amazon prime is the yearly fee. Some people use smart tvs that already have the hulu+, netflix and amazon apps on them but you still have to pay the fees.

Respected Contributor

Some of what you want to watch can be seen using an antenna IF you live within 30 miles of the broadcast towers. So, if you live in a big city, you may get the broadcast networks and PBS channels in better HD than cable. Most of the sports you watch through apps, like ESPN, are pay services if you don't subscribe to cable or satellite TV. There is Netflix and other streaming services that you can subscribe for a monthly fee

Many cable channels have full episodes you can watch via the internet a day or two after it's broadcasted. There are ways to connect your computer to your TV and watch them on a bigger screen.

If enough people stop cable perhaps the companies will offer an ala cart version where you pick and only pay for the channels you want.

Respected Contributor

I have something called Chromecast....got it at Best Buy...but I think you can get them online too.

You plug it into an HDMI outlet on your TV and you can live stream from you phone/tablet or laptop!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Frequent Contributor

There is no simple solution to cut the cord. with a PC, tablet, or streaming device you can cover most your bases for about $30 a month. That is using Amazon Prime Video, Hulu +, and Netflix. For another $20 you can sign up for Slingtv. It has CNN, Food Network with ESPN coming soon.

For streaming devices you have the 3 big ones Roku, Fire TV, or Chromecast.

Roku are heavily underpowered and really only stream, but they do that well. People often rave about the selection of "channels" (streaming applications) but reality is the vast majority are junk. $45-99

Chromecast requires a second device, like a PC or tablet, to control it but it does the actual streaming itself so once the content start you are free to use your control device. $40

Fire TV is Amazon's set top Android device. It is by far the most powerful and versatile of the bunch. It streams, web browses, and play games very well. $89-99

I have all 3 and the Chromecast gets used the least. One trick ponies that need a separate device to actually use them are kind of a waste for me.

There are also Smart TVs that remove the need for one of these devices. Hisense makes and Android TV that is just short of amazing for under $600. There are several companies that make Tvs with Roku built in as well.

With some kind of streaming device and a few services you can have huge content to draw from, some next day streams after the first broadcast for around $30 to $50 a month, not including hardware. Each network has it's own streaming app so you can cover major networks.

One thing to avoid is streaming media boxes that claim free movies and TV. They may be great hardware but they are ALL using illegal streams.

Super Contributor

You can use your smartphone with chromecast if you don't have a tablet or laptop..
Super Contributor

You basically still need to codes. Those devices don't let you watch anything live without it. Just like you are doing now woth your phone and pad, these devices are the same. So if you find you need the code for what you are watching now, a streaming device will be no different.
Frequent Contributor

On 2/23/2015 Lynnj said: You basically still need to codes. Those devices don't let you watch anything live without it. Just like you are doing now woth your phone and pad, these devices are the same. So if you find you need the code for what you are watching now, a streaming device will be no different.

This is not entirely correct. CBS has a live TV app, but at a fee for same night for live free for next day. Sling TV mentioned above lets you watch live, no providers or codes. The basic bundle has ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim. There are 3 more addon packages. Both ABC and NBC are working on apps that do not require provider accounts. Many local stations broadcast news live on their websites.

Since the OP's only concern was live sports, which they can do without cable, through a paid app like Sling TV the apps that can broacast new shows the day after air , without a cable or satellite provider, would work fine.

SnowKita Amazon is having a sale right now that if you sign up for 3 months of Sling TV you get a free fire TV stick, which is a smaller slightly less powerful version of the Fire TV. I also looked at sling TV and you can get additional sport packages for a fee.