Trusted Contributor

hi all-i have a question hoping someone can help with-we recently moved and when they came for the install of cable/internet they gave us a new router…why is my wireless printer (HP photosmart)working? its still has the old settings- i thought i would have to re-configurate it with new router password…in fact when i went to do that, it wouldn't take the new info so i set it back to the old router info and its working fine…I'm confused….not exactly a techy person...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor
could it be that those installers took care of that for you.
hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor
Two things he could have done. First is using WPS which allows quick connects without manual setup, if both devices have it. The other is he used the same broadcast ID and password so none of your existing devices should connect automatically.
Honored Contributor

Many discussions about this on these boards.

When I say this I am not scolding you or anyone, but this is a good reason to know how to do this yourself, so that you can solve these issues and not depend on some guy who does it half a**d.

Honored Contributor
Hey "jackthebear"! Many like myself drive motor vehicles, but unlike myself that has a background in auto racing and engine function and repair! Many use their computers as they do their vehicles. They want the vehicle to get them from "A to B", they don' t want to know how to replace a spun bearing or install a new bellhousing! You know computers and some do not, what they shouldn't use them? C'mon man, if your nic means you are a male.
hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

You can set up a new router with the old name and security number. I did that when I bought a new router a couple of years ago. By giving it the same name and security number, I didn't have to reconnect all of my devices. With that being said, the person setting up the new router would need the old name and passcode/security number for that to happen.

If you didn't provide the installer with the router information, my guess is there's no security on your wireless network.

Frequent Contributor
Some routers will take a backup from an older model in the same line. Some of the USR 5XXX series for example, if the firmware version has the advanced management tools. I have never had one but have heard Zyxel do as well.
Honored Contributor

You mean they gave you a new modem? I've never gotten a router from a cable company. I've always bought my own.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval