Respected Contributor

To those that use prepaid phone service. Any good recomendations?

I am in a situation where my phone will get shut off and i will probably not reactivate it. My work hours got cut back and off course the cell phone is the least important bill to pay. I want to avoid bad credit mark but looks like I can not avoid this. oh well. So I am looking to pick up a prepaid phone and service. Anyone of a recomendation for a smartphone that is on the cheap end that is pretty good quality?

Honored Contributor

Re: To those that use prepaid phone service. Any good recomendations?

Hi .... I have a Tracfone LG and it's cheap, and the coverage is better than some of my friends that have those fancier and more expensive phones. It does not have many bells and whistles but it's good for calling and texting. (although Tracfone does have an Android model). I don't use mine to browse the internet, pay bills etc---its a decent BASIC phone. (I prefer to save money and just use my PC/Tablet for all my online stuff).

This is the problem with Tracfone though--- if you have any problems, questions, or want to add air time I would recommend using their website rather than calling their customer service. Their customer service by phone is not always the best.

QVC sold one model, but the reviews weren't that good for that model. I would check out Target that is where I purchased mine.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I have a Straight Talk (Walmart) got the phone for 49.00 on Black Friday it is a LG Android I love it. Would probably cost more now though. Uses a 45.00 card per month for unlimited calls Internet etc. Can use a 30.00 card if don't want on Internet. Like it much better than the Iphone I had before.

Contributor

My DH and I have had Tracphone for over 2 years. The Verizon bills were killing me. In the first year I saved 600 dollars! Not a paltry sum when you're looking for ways to economize. I upgraded to the LG android last year although I question if I need all those bells and whistles. Try to find a plan with triple minutes for life. I've been extremely happy with this service.
Honored Contributor

I'm on my second year of tracfone. I only use it for calls/text. No issues with the phone or talking with customer service. When I got my first phone, I didn't follow the directions and had to call them. If you follow the directions, you should be fine.
Honored Contributor

Kcladyz - I just changed to consumer cellular. They have affordable phones (flip or smart) and decent monthly plans - choose if you want minutes only or if you want text and data. It all depends on what you do with your phone (talk or text).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

My husband has a go phone through AT & T.

He uses a basic flip phone because he has large hands and finds it more comfortable for him to use, rather than trying to use a touch screen phone. It's just a matter of personal preference for him.

He has a Samsung phone, and really likes it.

Anyway, he used to buy minutes and add them on to his phone, but then he found out that it was less expensive to buy one of their basic package plans for $40 a month that includes unlimited minutes on the phone.

They have many different kinds of phones. You can still add minutes and pay-as-you-go, or you can buy a package plan, if you want to do it that way.

I would say that the service is pretty reliable. We live in a rural area, but he commutes and had trouble with other carriers where he used to have more dropped calls with those carriers.

Honored Contributor

I have a Go Phone through AT&T. It's not smart; I use it for calls and text. I add $25 per quarter, so only $100 per year. Of course I use it sparingly. Charges are $1.00 per day that it's used + $0.10 per minute. Coverage is very good.

Super Contributor

Polling your local friends and neighbors would be a better bet then asking here. Cell service varies in each area as with the prepaid phones they offer.

Valued Contributor

I would check the today special on hsn --- if you want to keep your current number, it has to be active when you port it