Super Contributor

I have very basic tv service with a cable company. They are nickel and dime-ing me by charging a ridiculous monthly fee for a digital adapter (DTA).

Does anyone know if I can purchase a digital adapter on my own from a retail store such as Best Buy for a one-time charge, hook it up myself and get a good picture? Or is the cable company's digital adapter only compatible with its own service? I don't really understand these things.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

You have an old tube type TV?

Respected Contributor

back when they were making the switch, i got two vouchers and used them at best buy. i bet target would have them too. maybe one of you friends would have one, if they have bought a digital tv, that doesn't need converter box. craig's list, e-bay, amazon, too. a new, inexpensive tv would solve problem too. these converter boxes aren't for receiving cable feeds.

i have 2 tvs, that i use them on. just local channels,pbs and a couple of religious ones. i added bigger rabbit ears, too. we had a basic cable, on one tv and it wasn't too much, but then cable co. converted to all digital programming. they gave us new boxes,free for 1 yr. that will probably be too expensive, when the year is up.

as far as i know, cable co. offers what works best for there systems. i don't know too much either

Super Contributor
On 2/20/2015 glb613 said:

I have a flat screen HD tv.

Super Contributor

Oh, I'm not talking about the larger converter box. I'm talking about the small digital adapter. They're not the same thing.

Respected Contributor
I would ask your cable company. I don't think Comcast allows you to because they require the boxes now because people would just move into places and get free basic service by connecting the cable and not calling for service.
Super Contributor
On 2/20/2015 lovescats said: I would ask your cable company. I don't think Comcast allows you to because they require the boxes now because people would just move into places and get free basic service by connecting the cable and not calling for service.

I did ask my cable company just for the heck of it. Naturally they said it wouldn't work if I purchased the adapter on the outside.

Respected Contributor
On 2/20/2015 Justina rae said:

If you have a flat screen HD TV, you don't need an adapter.

Honored Contributor

In my experience with WOW and Comcast - a receiver is required for premium channels such as HBO, etc. Each cable company has a proprietary receiver. I have ditched premium channels and all ability to DVR (but I kept a VCR) and connected the cable directly to my TV. I was able to get channels like TBS, USA, A&E, etc. I did all of this because at the time I didn't have digital TVS.

Now that I have new digital TVs, I kicked all of it to the curb and get my tv over an RCA antenna that I bought from Walmart.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor
On 2/20/2015 Justina rae said:

If you have a flat screen HD TV, you don't need an adapter.

I asked my cable company what would happen if I just removed the adapter. They said I wouldn't get any reception at all. I've been reading a little bit on-line about digital adapters and they talk about encryption. Perhaps my cable company encrypts the signal somehow so that I need THEIR adapter in order to receive their signal?????

At some point I will unhook the adapter to see exactly what happens but for now I don't want to completely mess things up.