Respected Contributor

I had to reset my iPad and wish I had done it months ago. It was so slow, I couldn't use to read the digital edition of the newspaper. Every time I tried, it froze. I checked the usage and the catagory "other" is no longer using 19 GB of space. It really is easy if you backup your iPad to either the cloud or your computer. I use my computer because I have more than 5 GB and don't want to pay for iCloud storage.

Honored Contributor

Very good.

I back up to my computer too.

Trusted Contributor

Just wondering how do you reset it? Mine too has been running slow.

Respected Contributor
On 2/19/2015 isaboo said:

I did a backup first to my computer. Once that was done, I opened settings (it looks like a gear), selected general and scrolled down to reset. There are several choices and I selected erase all data. Since my backup is on my computer, I had my iPad connected during the process. If you use the cloud, you don't have to connect it. Follow the prompts, select your WiFi network, enter the security number and when asked, choose restore from a backup. It will take about 30 minutes at the most.

Despite doing everything suggested, I could not get rid of the "other" files. They were occupying half of the hard drive space. Now that it's done, I wish I had done it earlier.

Honored Contributor
On 2/19/2015 glb613 said:
On 2/19/2015 isaboo said:

I did a backup first to my computer. Once that was done, I opened settings (it looks like a gear), selected general and scrolled down to reset. There are several choices and I selected erase all data. Since my backup is on my computer, I had my iPad connected during the process. If you use the cloud, you don't have to connect it. Follow the prompts, select your WiFi network, enter the security number and when asked, choose restore from a backup. It will take about 30 minutes at the most.

Despite doing everything suggested, I could not get rid of the "other" files. They were occupying half of the hard drive space. Now that it's done, I wish I had done it earlier.

Gib, that's not the same as clearing the history? That's what I do occasionally and it seems to help with the slowness.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

No, what I did erased everything and started over.

Esteemed Contributor

I found an Apple app CCleaner for my iPad and my iPodTouch. It cleans up junk files.

Super Contributor

I tried to suggest to you about a year ago to do that. I am glad you finally did it, and now see how easy it really is. Not to mention the added benefit of the iPad acting as if it were just out of the box new.

Respected Contributor
On 2/19/2015 nutmeg3 said:

I found an Apple app CCleaner for my iPad and my iPodTouch. It cleans up junk files.

I plan to monitor the "other" status better. I'll look into CCleaner for iPad.

Lynnj, after the fiasco I went through losing an audiobook, I was leery to do a reset. After the audiobook was restored and on more than one device, I was ready to try it.

I'm beginning to wonder if my router is also part of the problem. I've checked all of my wireless devices and I only get half the speed compared to when hard wired. I know wireless is slower but half?

Occasional Contributor

HELP! HELP! I recently reset my ipad mini because it became frozen and I could not do anything. However, I now do not have the apps that I had before the reset. Can anyone tell me what to do to get them back on my home screen or do I need to download the apps again? Don't mind downloading the free apps but the few that I paid for should be downloaded free.

I did not lose my Contacts, Calendar, email.....so hope fully this is not a serious problem.

I tried calling the help center and waited on the line several different times for 1 hour and that seems to be a little extreme....don't mind waiting a short time but over 1 hour each time and still not speaking to a support person is a little much.