Valued Contributor

Question about adding memory

If a tablet ( specifically the gigaset) comes with 8gb- but can be "upgraded to 32 gb with a micro sd card- do you buy a 32 gb card to insert in the slot?(the 8gb is already installed) TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about adding memory

Yes, that's what you do. Be advised, the extra memory can be used to store data like music, photos or videos. The tablet can't use it for installing apps or running the operating system. You'd be wise to move everything you can to the SD card.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/17/2015 glb613 said:

Yes, that's what you do. Be advised, the extra memory can be used to store data like music, photos or videos. The tablet can't use it for installing apps or running the operating system. You'd be wise to move everything you can to the SD card.

Copy protected movies can not be played from an SD card. The movies must be stored on the main memory.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 glb613 said:

Yeah, this burned me when I cheaped out and bought that $99 Le Pan tablet QVC was pushing last year. Apps are really all I wanted to store on my tablet, not pictures, music, or videos, which I keep on my phone and/or laptop. 8GB was not enough for my app use. They should have said that in the presentation, but they don't. This is an Android thing, so it runs across all Android-based tablets. If you use a lot of apps, I'd wait for a tablet with larger built-in storage. If you mostly want to store music or photos, you may be fine with this.

I later bought a Kindle Fire with more built-in memory and I'm much happier.

Frequent Contributor

Moving apps to external storage is actually native in Android but most manufacturers disable the feature because of people using slow microsd and because of some apps not performing well when moved. Rooting the tablet can allow you to use apps that can do this like Link2SD or App2SD. System apps have to remain on internal storage. Rooting the Mini is a fairly easy process. Rooting can void your warranty but does give you full control of the OS. Also with rooting , depending on the app you use you can move copyrighted videos to external storage make the system think the external storage is the internal. Regardless always buy the fastest microsd, class 6 at the absolute least but class 10 is preferable.
Frequent Contributor

What???

Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 auntgranny said:

What???

You can add a SD memory card for storage.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Nook with a 32 GB card, which gives me a total of 48 GB of space. All of my books and such (both from Nook and the Kindle app....I use both) are on the card. My apps are internal.