Contributor

i damaged a cd by scraping some of the finish

off the back it still plays but skips is there a free program were I can remove the file from the damaged disk and make a new copy this is a cd someone made thanks 4 any impute

Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: i damaged a cd by scraping some of the finish

On 1/29/2015 rosietwinkie said:

off the back it still plays but skips is there a free program were I can remove the file from the damaged disk and make a new copy this is a cd someone made thanks 4 any impute

Yes, but the scratch represents missing or obscured data and copying it cannot replace or repair the data. Copying a CD is like copying a document with a Xerox machine. If you spill water on a document and it smears the ink, any new photocopy will also show that smear. You're better off trying to repair the original CD. If that works, then you can try to copy it to a new CD.

Frequent Contributor

The foil is where the data is stored so if that is damaged it's a done deal. You can scratch the label or the read side but if it goes through the foil the actual data is damaged.

Respected Contributor

Ask the person who made it for you to send another copy. Unfortunately, this is another example of why you MUST have more than one copy of anything you can't afford to lose.