Honored Contributor

How to determine if I need to repair or purchase another tablet?

I have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 size 10.1 that was a gift in 2012. Last week the tablet would not keep a charge or take forever to recharge and would just go blank or turn off. When I checked the battery info : " not charging". I called Samsung and was given two options: Mail tablet back to them for $ 150 or take it to Best Buy and let the Samsung rep check the status of the battery. Went to Best Buy and was told: Tablet batteries last only two years and it is cheaper to upgrade to a new tablet!?.... Really ? How many people have $ 300 to $400 to replace a product every two years.... not me. I use mine for emails, reading, playing games and research. Is this true or a scam ? I need info on how long a battery should last? Plus willing to try another brand that offers better customer service and longer life expectancy for the product. I am 60 years young but tech challenged. I would appreciate any suggestions or help. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. Thank you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to determine if I need to repair or purchase another tablet?

I don't believe what the rep told you. My IPad4 is well over two years old and my battery charges up just fine. If I were buying another tablet it would only be from Apple.

Honored Contributor

I have an original iPad that still works and an iPad 2 that still works. Those are both well over 2 years' old.

I was told one way to preserve batteries on electronic devices is to take it off the charger once it reaches 100%.

Honored Contributor

Me too, my iPad2 is still going strong must be at least 3 years old maybe more.

No battery issues with it at all.

SOME OPTIONS

Are there any mall carts near you that repair cell phones, there are near me, try them.

See what they say to replace a battery.

Personally, I would put that cost into a new tablet, an iPad.

You could try to sell the old one thru the kiosk or Gazelle, (will look up name of kiosk)

Honored Contributor

FWIW a new battery kit is about $55

Honored Contributor

BlingQueen022: Thank you for taking time to reply. I was thinking maybe with Apple...... better product and customer service and saving money considering life of product.
Honored Contributor

Apple products may cost more at the outset, but they have a much longer life than other products, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I would buy an iPad or a Samsung Galaxy Note or Pro series tablet. You may want to check Best Buy for reviews.
Honored Contributor

Wow... wonderful group and fast help.....thank you: Brii, jackthebear. I had researched battery kits but concerned about me doing it. A friend gave me info on a local computer shop to call today. Was also suggested to replace battery and have this for my emergency tablet and purchase another tablet. I was concerned about learning how to use another product.
Honored Contributor

This happened to my Nexus. I even bought a new charger cable. Also, I ran the charger cables from the computer. (tips I found on-line) With these tablets the battery just doesn't come out. It's complicated to remove and put it back together (correctly). I just got new tablet. My tablet charged a little, but then just stopped.