Contributor

Windows 8 versus windows 7 , need help

When all else fails I always come to the QVC boards . I recently bought an HP Pavilion laptop. I have windows 7 on my older laptop and love it. I have to say I really don't like 8 at all. I am to the point where I am thinking of having 7 installed. I have a few issues with it . Might sound petty but I can't change the font like on 7. How do you delete your deleted emails permanently? What is classic shell? Hope someone reading this can help me. Thank you Nannycakes
Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 8 versus windows 7 , need help

The entire world hates 8. We have it on one computer and despise it. It's my understanding that it is actually 2 different operating systems mashed together in a very poor fashion.

I would have 8 removed and install 7 in a nano second but then I'm not expert. You should know that it was in the news last week that Microsoft is going to give their new operating system Windows 10, free to those who have 8....when 10 comes out. Which who knows when that will be. They keep pushing it back.

I shall now defer to the experts here who can help you a lot more than me.

Respected Contributor

Download and install Classic Shell. It makes Windows 8 look like older versions of Windows. I use it and like it.

Classic Shell

Honored Contributor

If this info is of any use to anybody... we just purchased this laptop, a refurbished hp with the specifications of my "old" school laptop. I just LOVE this model , and it is an OS Windows 7.

I just learned how to add fonts and will pass along the link that tells simply how to install new fonts, if anyone would like it.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Win 8.1 really isn't much different from 7. If you're running Win 8, do the update to win 8.1. After you do that the screen that is displayed after booting is the desktop, not the tiles. It will look familiar to you.

Sorry, I can't help you with fonts and email.

FWIW, I like 8.1 a lot.

Super Contributor

Late Summer or early Fall for Win 10 release according to the Tech Times website.

Trusted Contributor

Exactly what don't you like about Windows 8, and have you updated it to 8.1? Just about anything can be customized to your liking.

What font do you want to change, and what do you want to change about it? Do you want to change the style, the size? Are you talking about the font in your browser?

You OS doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your email. What email are you using? Are you accessing it through your browser or through an email client (software)?

Honored Contributor

Which email program do you use?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Contributor

I have windows live. Usually when I am typing or emails, I like to change the font ever once in a while. Instead of the small font. I almost want to type in caps. Still can't figure out how to delete emails permanently . Liked 7
Respected Contributor

On 1/26/2015 nomless said:

Win 8.1 really isn't much different from 7. If you're running Win 8, do the update to win 8.1. After you do that the screen that is displayed after booting is the desktop, not the tiles. It will look familiar to you.

Sorry, I can't help you with fonts and email.

FWIW, I like 8.1 a lot.

We upgraded to 8.1. Didn't help us. It's still a mess.