Occasional Contributor

Dictation wanted on my Dell computer. Any suggestions?

Okay I am so old school. Which will become obvious with my questions to those here but looking for suggestions. I purchased the Dell TSV similar to todays TSV (though I am sure different speed/processor/memory) about a year ago. It runs Windows 8. Anyway is there a built in dictation device that can be used or app at the Google store whatever...or does a software program like Dragon I've seen advertised need to be purchased? I've seen tablets offered with speaking to do google search or 'type' email.

Appreciate help/suggestions!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dictation wanted on my Dell computer. Any suggestions?

You are talking about dictation system that you will use to dictate that will automatically transcribe? Is that right? That will most likely be something you will need to purchase as a specialty item for add-on but make sure your computer is compatible with whatever you purchase, unless your purchase already has a dictation system. I assume what you are wanting is voice recognition that transcribes as you dictate? Right? Wrong?

Esteemed Contributor

This is information about speech recognition using Window 8.1 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/using-speech-recognition

Does your laptop have a built in mic?

Occasional Contributor

Thank you both for responses. See I'm not familiar enough to be clear about this {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Okay, not really voice commands (ie 'go to facebook' I'm not even on facebook!...did I say old school? I want something that I can dictate to a word document for example (ie letters I want to send, information I come across and want to talk in the information instead of typing it to a word doc. etc) I assume the Dell has a mic built in but of course I am not sure as I never used it. Color me SO GREEN! Just thought I get a little more with it in the new year but tech savvy I ain't!

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to check YouTube videos on using speech recognition software included with Windows 8.1

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=speech+recognition+windows+8.1

Respected Contributor

My husband uses Dragon software to dictate memos while on vacation. He dictates it in Word and then sends it as email. For some reason, he says that it's easier to do it this way weather than use it in email directly. He finds Dragon software to be excellent-- and, he is hard to please. Hope this helps.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill