Valued Contributor

I keep looking at the Amazon Prime information on their website and I am still not quite sure how the video part will work. We do not suscribe to cable in our house and just get what we can from the antenna and a Roku (so far with no subscriptions). We are incredibly far behind in our movie watching so currency of movies is not a huge concern. Are there a lot of free movies and TV shows available? Or do they draw you in and then you have to pay after a couple of freebies? I just don't want to start racking up big bills because we don't know what we are doing. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

There are plenty of movies to watch, but what type of internet connection do you have for your Roku?

Some of the shows are free with Prime and some you pay for. I suggest you search for the shows and movies you would like to watch and check out if they are free or not.

Then you can get an idea if Prime will work for you

The good thing is that you can also cancel Prime if you want.

Respected Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks jackthebear and mima! I went ahead and signed up because of the lower price today. I hope this works out. I am trying to register my Roku (I am not in the same location as it is today) via Amazon and the devices to choose from do not include the Roku Streaming stick. I know someone posted a FAQ or technical support link for Amazon Prime on this forum someplace awhile back. Guess I will go search. I am looking forward to seeing some movies!

eta - all is good and we are ready to go. I am also looking forward to the free shipping possibilities! I do see it says you can share that with up to 4 household members.

Respected Contributor

I hesitated to pay $99 to sign up for Prime but I did and I love it. I was able to cut my Dish TV bill in half and enjoy lots of shows and movies on prime. Plus I get free 2 day shipping on many items I purchase from Amazon. Even with the $99 price it works out to $8.25 per month for TV, shipping, books, movies, and more. I will sign up again when my year is out.

Respected Contributor

I signed up for Prime. I'll use the free shipping for sure. Streaming, I'll have to take the time and look what's available. It will be easier now I have a smart TV.

Respected Contributor

If you already have a roku I think the 72.00 price today would be worth it. One show I really really like on prime is the bbc series Orphan Black. Which somebody recommended here a while back.

Honored Contributor

I find it interesting that they are offering a lower price for this, they must be trying to find the "sweet spot"

Valued Contributor

Well, well. Amazon just replied to my earlier email to them and said that the Roku streaming stick is not a supported device for the video. Interesting that there is an Amazon button on the Roku remote. Is there some other type of Amazon video available but it is just not free or something? I admit to being not too knowledgeable about this stuff, but it let me register my Roku. Guess I will see what I can do on via Roku and I can cancel the Prime I suppose.

Here is what they said: "I have checked for this and I see that currently Prime Instant Video content cannot be viewed on the Roku Streaming stick. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Respected Contributor
On 1/24/2015 jackthebear said:

I find it interesting that they are offering a lower price for this, they must be trying to find the "sweet spot"

I don't think current subscribers like it because in 2014 they raised the price from 79.00 to 99.00