Trusted Contributor

Has anyone hooked up an Amazon Fire Stick?

I'm going to try tomorrow and am so non-tekkie.I hope I can do it-anyone have suggestions or opinions on the Stick? Can I ask you questions WHEN I need to Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone hooked up an Amazon Fire Stick?

Why not just Google this instead of posting? It's easier and you'll get helpful tips much more quickly.

HERE:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+hook+up+an+amazon+fire+stick&oq=how+to+hook+up+an+amazon+fire...

Esteemed Contributor

A video takes the place of a thousand words. Here are YouTube videos from Bing http://www.bing.com/search?q=stetting+up+a+fire+tv+stick&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationi...=

Honored Contributor

I am thinking of getting one. From what I read, they are simple to hookup. That's always on my criteria list.
Super Contributor

thanks for sharing that link

Super Contributor

I don't think it will be hard, even for someone not comfortable with tech stuff. You plug the stick into the HDMI slot on the tv. Then plug the other cord into an outlet for electricity. You'll have to connect to the internet, and you'll do that right on the tv once you've plugged in. Did it come with instructions for connecting to the internet?

You'll probably need your remote that came with the TV, not the one you use for the cable box (or dish). The reason you need the tv remote, is because you will have to navigate to settings, and then select the HDMI slot # that you have the stick plugged into. For example, if the back/side of your tv has 2 HDMI slots, your cable is probably plugged into slot #1. You just connected the stick to slot #2. When you go to the tv settings, you are telling the tv which slot to show you the picture from.

Once you can see the picture on your tv screen of the stick slot, you will probably have on screen instructions walking you through the internet set up process. Probably will just ask you to click on which wifi signal is yours (cause you probably will see your neighbors in the list too), then put in your wifi passcode. After that you should be good to go. Use the remote that came with the stick to navigate.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 nutmeg3 said:

A video takes the place of a thousand words. Here are YouTube videos from Bing http://www.bing.com/search?q=stetting+up+a+fire+tv+stick&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationi...=

Agree; they're also part of my Google link. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I don't have the fire stick but I just got fire tv box and as soon as you plug it in a video comes on to help you set it up. You will need your modem/router password.

I highly recommend the fire tv box. I think I have my tv too far away from my router for the stick. and my internet is fast but not that fast. The fire tv box works wonderful for me.

Trusted Contributor

I did it quite easily-thanksSmiley Happy Yes,I did realize that there were videos-just wanted to TALK to an actual someone.
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 lovescats said:

I don't have the fire stick but I just got fire tv box and as soon as you plug it in a video comes on to help you set it up. You will need your modem/router password.

I highly recommend the fire tv box. I think I have my tv too far away from my router for the stick. and my internet is fast but not that fast. The fire tv box works wonderful for me.

I saw the fire box is on sale today. I read up on both the stick and box, but don't understand what the difference is. They seem to do the same thing.