Respected Contributor

Dish / streaming. - getting disillusioned.

I have been checking out advice given to me on this community re getting Roku so that we can "stream". At present we are paying $150.00 per month to Dish and every time I check out a new series I want to watch it seems to be "on demand" which means more money which I refuse now to pay. Question people who have streaming do you miss any programs if you gave up the packages available on cable t.v? Has your experience with streaming been good?We would keep the basic channels which we seem to watch anyway. Many thanks for any views.
Respected Contributor

Re: Dish / streaming. - getting disillusioned.

The problem with streaming, the new shows or movies are an extra fee. It's the same with all services. While house sitting, I was able to check out Netflix and except for "House of Cards", I couldn't find anything I liked.

I find more shows to watch through the internet and Acorn TV. If you don't mind watching it the next day, most broadcast shows are available at the show's website. If you want a bigger screen, you can connect your computer to the TV and watch.

Trusted Contributor

I don't need Acorn. HuluPlus and Netflix have almost all the BBC imports I need. Just finished watching Happy Valley. WOW so intense, terrific. Haven't tried House of Cards. Next up is the 2nd The Fall series. 1st series was one of the best murder mysteries I have ever seen. I really can't understand how anyone couldn't find something to watch on Netflix. Maybe they just don't know how to navigate thru all the genres. Too bad for them.
Respected Contributor

On 1/23/2015 ritasNo1Fan said: I don't need Acorn. HuluPlus and Netflix have almost all the BBC imports I need. Just finished watching Happy Valley. WOW so intense, terrific. Haven't tried House of Cards. Next up is the 2nd The Fall series. 1st series was one of the best murder mysteries I have ever seen. I really can't understand how anyone couldn't find something to watch on Netflix. Maybe they just don't know how to navigate thru all the genres. Too bad for them.

I know how to navigate, the choices aren't my taste.

Super Contributor

Question - you have to pay to watch on demand shows through dish? On Comcast, most things are free on demand? As for the streaming - You sort of still need cable/dish with ruko or other type of streaming device. Aside from Netflix or other movie/show apps, there are dozens of others. For example, ABC or FOX, to watch things on the streaming device on those types of app, it first asks you to sign in with your cable/dish provider information. So a streaming device isn't yet the key to cutting the cord. I think we are getting close that that being reality. But now the Internet service provider is getting wise about it and already getting prepared by starting to charge data usage rates (like they do with cell phone). In the end, I don't think we will ever be free from paying the cable/dish companies.
Respected Contributor

Lynnj. - yes I wanted to watch new series Outlander on Starz. Now we have included our Dish package Starz but when I tried to find Outlander and called Dish I was told I could only get it on Starz demand and to get that we had to pay another s$15.00 per mo. The Starz in my package is all old movies any new series are on demand. Same with Fox, etc. and as we are paying quite a bit now decided forget on demand that is why we are checking out streaming. It appears every channel has an "on demand" channel too and all has to be paid for in addition to our package we originally signed up for.
Super Contributor

On 1/23/2015 dulwich said: Lynnj. - yes I wanted to watch new series Outlander on Starz. Now we have included our Dish package Starz but when I tried to find Outlander and called Dish I was told I could only get it on Starz demand and to get that we had to pay another s$15.00 per mo. The Starz in my package is all old movies any new series are on demand. Same with Fox, etc. and as we are paying quite a bit now decided forget on demand that is why we are checking out streaming. It appears every channel has an "on demand" channel too and all has to be paid for in addition to our package we originally signed up for.

Thats nuts that they charge you extra to watch something on demand that you are already paying for. I've never heard of that. I have STARZ, and on Comcast, can watch anything listed on demand under starz free of charge (included in my monthly starz subscription cost). Are you sure you subscribe to starz? The $15 per month they told you sounds like the monthly subscription fee, which like I said with Comcast includes on demand. I can't imagine them charging once that amount, then wanting to charge again just to watch whatever starz offers on demand.

It amazes me how these companies always find a way to nickel and dime for everything, like we don't already pay enough.

Super Contributor

Okay, I don't have DISH, but just looked online because you really had me curious. Per what I am seeing, you get starz on demand with a paid starz monthly subscription. Outlander is available on demand, and you should be able to watch that at no additional charge.

http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/premiums/starz

What am I not understanding? I think maybe you don't have a starz subscription if you aren't able to watch this on demand. Or...the DISH customer service people are telling you wrong information. Maybe try calling again to speak to someone else.

But...a streaming device isn't going to be your answer to this. Like I said in another post, if your device offers a starz channel, you need to have a subscription through cable/dish to watch anything on the app in the streaming device. It will ask you to login with your cable/dish information when you click on the app.

Respected Contributor

Hi Lynnj - thanks for your great help. We actually pay for the top package Dish offers and indeed the regular Starz channel is on there - but underneath is Starz on demand which we have been told we have to pay $15.00 extra on top of what we are ready paying. Have had hours of discussions with them as we thought paying for their top package we would get all - evidently not. However am going to give it another shot today and give another call. Thanks for your help.
Trusted Contributor

The main problem (for us) with most of the streaming services is that you can't get a lot of sports events, and we enjoy watching a few favorite teams and big events on ESPN, SportSouth, and other specialty sports channels. They also don't offer all of our local and PBS channel to help us keep up with news and local events. Gotta watch the Braves, the Super Bowl, and SEC football games!!