Honored Contributor

Samsung Galaxy III----can't get wifi, used to be able to.....

I rarely use my phone for the internet and am able to text and even read emails (albeit older ones), but getting on the internet is not an option any more.

What the heck happened?

I do travel between two homes that are hundreds of miles apart and I guess I've had to input the passwords from the routers. Does that have anything to do with it?

I noticed it when visiting a relative who lived far away from our homes and I think they gave my their router password for internet. It hasn't been the same since. 'Not connected to the internet.'

I have no idea what to do.

Any help would be appreciated!

Super Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy III----can't get wifi, used to be able to.....

I don't have that type of phone, but they all work the same. You will need to go to your settings on your phone, then click on wifi, then look for your home wifi (or the wifi of wherever you are), then click on that. If you already put the password in, you should just connect. If you don't connect after clicking on it, then you may need to put the wifi password in.

After you went to your friends, you probably never switched back to the wifi at your house.

Respected Contributor

Not all phones or other devices automatically connect when you switch wireless networks. As posted, get into the settings and select your network. You may also have a setting to auto connect that may not be turned on so check it too.

Super Contributor

Before you try anything, power cycle your phone. Turn if off, take out the battery if you're able to do so, wait 60 seconds, put the battery back in if you did that step, then turn the phone back on.

If power cycling your phone didn't fix the wifi issue, try the above.

Respected Contributor

If you can't fix it yourself, you can call Samsung or use their online chat. They will tell you what settings to check or change. I got on their site for a problem I had (don't remember now what it was) and they helped me and fixed my problem in just a few minutes.

Hope you can get it fixed!

Regular Contributor

I can get wifi on mine but can't figure out how to access the internet without it. My last Samsung had no problem like this and I've tried all the settings to no avail. I may have to return it and go back to my older phone. Another thing is that I set it to answer calls with the home key and that cuts off the call so even with this setting I can only answer it by swiping. Thanks for the suggestion to call Samsung for help. I'll have to try that.

Occasional Contributor

In addition to a restart, you can press the wifi icon on top of the screen off, then on. Also, you can always delete the previous networks that you've been connected to.

Like someone said, when you get home, make sure you've auto connected to your home wifi.

Had the G3....just upgraded to the G5. Love it!

Also, google anything you can't figure out. You'll get lots of helpful info. Even some YT videos.

Regular Contributor

Solved my issues above. I discovered that I needed to download an update and now everything works again. Forgot to mention that I also couldn't access the latest voicemails that had come in. I really don't understand why not doing an update would mess up voicemail and internet access and answering calls but thank goodness it's okay now because I want to keep this phone as it has much more memory than my older Galaxy and a larger screen. After the update the voicemails appeared from the last few days. Prior to it there was a message at the bottom of the voicemail list that said unable to access them. I hope you can get yours working too.

Respected Contributor

I have a friend that is thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy S3. He can't afford the more expensive models. Do you think he would be happy with it? Is it really fast (when working properly) on 3G? He does not have wifi. Is it plenty loud? He is hard of hearing. I had the Samsung Galaxy S2 and with good hearing it was about right on the highest setting. It wouldn't have been loud enough for him. My Note 3 is much louder than my Samsung Galaxy 2 was.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I really don't understand my phone at all. LOL.

So like another poster, I did an update and now I've got access to the internet. Well that's fine and dandy, but I don't need it now.

Tomorrow when I'm out I'll try it and see if I have access.

I'm happy with the Galaxy III. I like the larger screen. Sounds fine. Videos are horrible sometimes if they even load (takes days sometimes!). But I'm sure it's something I've done wrong. Guess 3G is a bad thing? Figures!