Esteemed Contributor

Help!? This is one of my "tech challenges"....

Someone posted the following on another forum, and I have one of Suze Orman's packages that I bought a couple of years ago and have never installed (sad, isn't it?).

When I saw this, it makes me unsure whether or not it will work okay on my five year old Dell desktop - it has Windows Vista Home Premium, and since it's older, I guess probably a Pentium III. Can anyone decipher this and tell me if I should be okay to install her system?

"QVC did not include the system requirements for the Suze Orman organize and protect financial systems. I read the reviews and decided not to install mine - people were complaining their systems crashed.

I emailed customer service and here is what they provided:

Vista
Windows 98/2000/Me/XP
Pentium II 233Mhz
128 MB RAM (32 MB free RAM)
800 x 600 resolution
16-bit high color
8MB CD-ROM drive
28.8 KBPS modem, or faster
16-bit SoundBlaster-compatible sound card and speakers
printer
      They didn't even apologize for not including it or offer free shipping to return.     
      NO on sells computers with those old operating systems. This is appaling but I am not surprised at either QVC or Orman. They apparently wanted to push out old merchandise.     
      NOT HAPPY. SHAME ON QVC AND SUZE."     

Respected Contributor

Re: Help!? This is one of my ""tech challenges""....

A 5 year old computer should run Windows 7. Are you sure about the age and operating system of your computer? Did customer provide the system requirements? What is your question? Are you wondering if it will run on your computer?

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 glb613 said:

A 5 year old computer should run Windows 7. Are you sure about the age and operating system of your computer? Did customer provide the system requirements? What is your question? Are you wondering if it will run on your computer?

I'm fairly certain it's a Pentium III, and I know it's at least 5 years old, but not much older than that. It works great for everything I need right now. I know for sure that it has Windows Vista Home Premium, because when I tried to upgrade Internet Explorer it wouldn't work, and I called McAfee (don't have that any more) to see if anything in McAfee would prevent me from upgrading IE, they verified that I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

As I said, another poster put this in the For the Home forum, and I re-posted it here. All I know is what it says: she called CS and they gave her these specs for running Suze's system. I am assuming that she has a much newer computer with a much more up-to-date operating system, and maybe that's why some computers are crashing when they install it.

That's why I wanted to see if anyone here could decipher this and tell me if I can install it on mine, since the Suze system I have was purchased about two years ago and I have an older computer.

Respected Contributor

It's a really old program but it should run on your computer. Anything that lists Windows 98 probably won't work on a computer with a newer operating system than Vista.

Honored Contributor

Okay, maybe I am missing something

Vista
Windows 98/2000/Me/XP
Pentium II 233Mhz
800 x 600 resolution
16-bit high color
8MB CD-ROM drive
printer

Most programs list the MINIMUM requirements in order to operate. According to the specs that you listed, it appears to me that the program works in windows 98, windows 2000, I have no idea what ME means, windows XP and windows vista.

You need a minimum Pentium II processor - you have Pentium III - one better.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Finally last Spring I installed my Orman program I had windows XP.No problems.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 Bird mama said:

Vista
Windows 98/2000/Me/XP
Pentium II 233Mhz
800 x 600 resolution
16-bit high color
8MB CD-ROM drive
printer

Most programs list the MINIMUM requirements in order to operate. According to the specs that you listed, it appears to me that the program works in windows 98, windows 2000, I have no idea what ME means, windows XP and windows vista.

Windows Me was Microsoft's big mistake before Vista.

kittymom- sounds like this is a old program designed for old computers, which you have if you are running Vista.

The problem I foresee is, Vista is so bad IMO, that you may very well have problems installing any new software.

Are they still even providing updates for Vista?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 betteb said:

Vista<br /> Windows 98/2000/Me/XP<br /> Pentium II 233Mhz<br /> 128 MB RAM (32 MB free RAM)<br /> 800 x 600 resolution<br /> 16-bit high color<br /> 8MB CD-ROM drive<br /> 28.8 KBPS modem, or faster<br /> 16-bit SoundBlaster-compatible sound card and speakers<br /> printer

kittymom- sounds like this is a old program designed for old computers, which you have if you are running Vista.

The problem I foresee is, Vista is so bad IMO, that you may very well have problems installing any new software.

I have no idea,but I would guess not... see, I really am "tech challenged"! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Everything I need has worked great all these years, except that I can't upgrade Internet Explorer from Version 7 to 8 or 9, or whatever is out there now. But I use Google Chrome and that works fine.

I hate to think I might need a new computer, but I guess if this Suze program will work on this one, I'd better do it while I can. I guess we'll see! Thanks! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 kittymomNC said:
On 1/18/2015 betteb said:

Vista<br /> Windows 98/2000/Me/XP<br /> Pentium II 233Mhz<br /> 128 MB RAM (32 MB free RAM)<br /> 800 x 600 resolution<br /> 16-bit high color<br /> 8MB CD-ROM drive<br /> 28.8 KBPS modem, or faster<br /> 16-bit SoundBlaster-compatible sound card and speakers<br /> printer

I have no idea,but I would guess not... see, I really am "tech challenged"! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Everything I need has worked great all these years, except that I can't upgrade Internet Explorer from Version 7 to 8 or 9, or whatever is out there now. But I use Google Chrome and that works fine.

I hate to think I might need a new computer, but I guess if this Suze program will work on this one, I'd better do it while I can. I guess we'll see! Thanks! Smile

Microsoft is still providing window updates for Visa Windows.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Super Contributor

It should work, but it's not just about operating system. They list of their specs to consider, like 128 MB RAM, 32 free. You probably have that available, but you'll need to look for sure. On the start button, there should be something listed that says about this computer. Or something like that. It will list the specs that your computer has.