Honored Contributor

Thinking About A New Computer

I have a computer that must be about 5 years old or so. It runs on Windows 7. I'm thinking about getting something new. I know some people who have Windows 8 or 8.1 and don't like it. I was wondering if rumors of Windows 10 is true. My nephew has an Apple laptop and loves it. He says it is different from a pc, I'm wondering if I would adapt to it. I do have an iPad Air, iPod Touch, and 2 Kindles. I'm wondering if I even need a computer. I was interested in the Surface Pro 3 but don't know enough about it. Any opinions would be welcomed!

Super Contributor

Re: Thinking About A New Computer

Windows 8.1 is lovely. Don't be afraid of it at all. Windows 10 is coming. I got my mom a Dell XPS 8700 from Costco for Christmas that was a real pleasure to transition her from Windos XP to Windos 8.1 on. She is 78 and has had no problems.
Respected Contributor

I think you are smart to ask the question if you need a new computer along with all of your other devices. What do you currently use your computer for?

Respected Contributor

It really just depends on what your needs are. Not wants, but needs. I love my HP laptop for most of what I do. It has to be at least 5 or 6 years old. I do have a Toshiba tablet for when I just want to do minimal e-mail or play games on the couch. But the bulk of what I do is on my laptop. I find it easier to surf, email, pay bills. I don't need anything expensive.

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 islandgrrl said:

I think you are smart to ask the question if you need a new computer along with all of your other devices. What do you currently use your computer for?

I really only use it for surfing the web, watching videos, checking email, that kind of stuff. I probably could get by without one, When I bought my present computer I thought I needed all the bells and whistles and spent over $800 at the time. This time I wouldn't spend as much unless I decided to go with a Mac or Surface Pro 3.

Esteemed Contributor

""Wonder"" no more 8.1 is fine once you get used to it. I don't understand why people would go back to old software like windows 7. Technology goes forward not backward.

Honored Contributor

I switched from a pc to a Mac almost two years ago. I was hesitant because I thought I might not adapt to it too easily.

It took me about 5 minutes to adapt to the iMac. Have no plans to ever return to a pc.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I bought a new computer a couple of months ago and switched to a Mac. I really love it. I've had quite a few questions but have gotten my answers easily. I bought a 13" MacBook Air. Like you, I wasn't sure whether to stay with Windows or switch to a Mac. Everyone I knew who had a Mac loved it, so that's what I decided to go with in the end.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

MacBook Air is the way to go. You will love it!
Esteemed Contributor

I would go to an Apple store and ask about a taking a class before a sale. You want to know if this product is right for you.