Super Contributor

I received an ipad for xmas and don't know anything about apple products. I went on facebook yesterday to post a birthday message for my kids, one son's came up ok, the others name did not drop down and up came someone with the same name and I saw something something, Pakistan. Needless to say I exited quickly.

My question is: does apple have built in security with their systems (ipad) or do I have to download myself?

thank you all!

Honored Contributor

Hi, FatcatinCT! When you're typing a name into the search box on Facebook it does a search and will find what its algorithm "thinks" are the best choices for you to select from. Sometimes those names/pages aren't the ones we really want, but that's one of the weird ways of Facebook software. Since Facebook is an international platform, it's not unusual to see a name or page that references another country or sometimes even a different language.

From your description, there was nothing wrong with Facebook and all is well. However, if you're worried about your Facebook account, you might want to change your password and also let us know more details if you can't access your other sons' account.

Re: your question, the iPad doesn't need any additional software for your protection. It's a very safe, secure mobile device.

hth!Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thanks DooBdoo! That's quite a relief. Usually there is a drop down and I am friends with my boys, this was highly unusual. I have to admit if it were any other country than Pakistan, I wouldn't have gotten so worried, lol. What can I say...

I will change my password. Thanks again!

Honored Contributor
On 1/16/2015 FATCATinCT said:

Thanks DooBdoo! That's quite a relief. Usually there is a drop down and I am friends with my boys, this was highly unusual. I have to admit if it were any other country than Pakistan, I wouldn't have gotten so worried, lol. What can I say...

I will change my password. Thanks again!

You're welcome! Just check back in if you have problems, someone here will have good advice -- we have a great group of helpful, knowledgeable posters.

Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor
On 1/16/2015 WIlliam Joseph said: Because everyone from Pakistan is a terrorist right? Gimme a break.

No William, but I was directed to a website once that went there and got a trojan. So, once burnt, twice shy.

Honored Contributor

We installed "Lookout" on our phones and pads. Don't know if this is absolutely necessary, is it? I feel better about having something in place, but from all I have heard/read, Apple systems are not usually targeted because their software is built in... please correct this if it is no right? TIA

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~