Trusted Contributor

Quick question for anyone that has Amazon Echo

I don't own (nor want) a smartphone or any "smart" device, i.e., iPod, iPad, etc. Is Echo a "stand alone" device? If not, then it wouldn't do me much good. But if it is.....I need to get one since I did get the invitation.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick question for anyone that has Amazon Echo

"Standalone" not exactly. You need some kind of computer to load the app and you need WiFi in the home, but you don't need a Kindle, Ipad or Iphone. The bluetooth feature is to allow streaming of music from devices with music loaded (ie a phone) but you can stream music from the Internet (Amazon Prime, IheartRadio.)

Honored Contributor

I've never found the need to access mine via my smart phone, etc. But I do occasionally access the app that I've downloaded on my laptop.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe this isn't for me then. I don't know a thing about "apps". I do have wireless internet, but only because Comcast hooked it up! LOL I only know when I turn on my laptop, it works without cables running from the computer to the box. I do have Amazon Prime (for the free 2-day shipping), but have no idea about playing music from it (my computer is only on if I'm surfing the web) and have no idea with iheartRadio is. Believe me.........I technologically challenged! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} And I'm fine with that since I have no desire for a smart phone or iPad or Kindle, etc. I only use my cell phone to make or receive calls, I use my laptop if I want to surf the web, and I prefer "real" books over electronic versions.

Honored Contributor

Okay. Let's start with iHeart radio. It's an online radio provider that lets you listen to most radio stations (including many fire/police frequencies) and Internet radio stations over their website. On Echo you simply tell Alexa what radio station you want to listen to and she'll access iHeart radio to get it for you. It's pretty neat.

Since you already have Prime you also have access to Prime Music which is a compilation of over a million songs that you can listen to absolutely free. Now you can do that through your computer or through Echo, but Echo is mush easier. Just tell Alexa the name of he artist or the title of the song you're interested in and she'll play it for you if it's one of the million plus songs in the Prime music library.

As to the app, on a computer it's nothing more than a website you visit that lets you set up your Echo through it and setting up the Echo is pretty simple. All you need is your router password (typically printed on the bottom/back of whatever router you have) and you're good to go. Once Echo is up and running operating it couldn't be easier. You just talk to it and it'll do pretty much whatever you ask.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Would my computer have to be on to access the Prime Music?

Honored Contributor

Not if you're listening through Echo.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

When you get your echo the echo page where the invitation request is will open to guide you into setting up the echo so you don't need to download any app on your computer

And you will get an email after you order the echo to the setup page or invitation page but it's not going to do anything till you plug in the echo and it's very easy

And you would just say alexia play prime music You really only need your computer to set up the wifi but you would bookmark your echo page just so you could see your history or what's playing or see a shopping or to do list