Honored Contributor

HP Chrome vs. HP Stream - which one is the better choice?

DH wants to get me one and wants me to choose. They're both around the same price, so I guess it's just a matter of features. If you have either one, or know about both, I'd appreciate your advice. TIA! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP Chrome vs. HP Stream - which one is the better choice?

These two reviews are from tech folks I trust. The HP Stream is a Window 8.1 product, and has some issues.

http://recode.net/2014/12/18/hp-stream-13-review-a-low-cost-windows-alternative-to-chromebooks/

http://winsupersite.com/mobile/hp-stream-13-first-impressions

Samsung Chrome book. http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/chrome-os-devices/XE503C32-K01US

I would suggest a Chromebook, the Samsung Chromebook 2 13.3 with an HD display, and 4GB of RAM. Samsung give customers some goodies with a sale.

Does your DH have an iPad?

Regular Contributor

I have an HP Chromebook and love it. It's ""instant"" on and doesn't heat up. Also lightweight and easy to take with me. I would recommend it.

Honored Contributor

I too like my HP chromebook.

Honored Contributor

The thing to remember is Chromebooks are built around a very basic operating system that's designed to be safe and essentially virus proof. The new "Stream" computers are built around Windows 8.1 which is pretty darn safe, but not foolproof. A "Stream" computer will be slower to wake, generally want more resources, use more power, and still have all of the negatives associated with a Windows based machine. The advantage is you're getting a fairly low cost Windows PC that can use Windows programs and not rely solely on apps. Of course you're not getting much in the way of memory or CPU power which still limits the programs that can be run.

If I was buying a new laptop today, I'd probably go with the Asus 13" Chromebook. It's nicely priced (generally $179-$229) a decent size, and gets very good reviews. I just think the Chormebooks are a better option now than the Streams.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

Windows 8.1 is a difficult (to me at least) operating system to use. It is like using apps - BUT if you are used to any prior Windows OS (Win 7, Vista etc) it is not at all the same.

Chromebook is basically to go online...end of discussion. Cannot add software - i.e. "Word"

etc...so if that's not an issue go with that. It is a Google operating system and very limited

Honored Contributor

UPDATE: He found another one he liked - a Toshiba. I can't wait to get it for Christmas!