Honored Contributor

Solution for Coffee Spilled on Keyboard

Last night I spilled coffee on my Mac wireless keyboard, not a lot. Anyway, I wiped it off and the keyboard still worked then but tonight some of the keys don't. Is it DOA or is there a fix?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Solution for Coffee Spilled on Keyboard

Thats not good. It's just the keyboard, that you would connect wirelessly to a desktop or other display, correct? Or are you taking about the keyboard part of the laptop? That will make a big difference.

If just the keyboard, alcohol using a cotton swap in the areas where the coffee landed might help.

If your talking about a larger spill, where the coffee might have gotten under the keys and into the inner parts of the keyboard, well then I would turn the keyboard off. The wires are probably wet, and could short out.

If keyboard of a laptop, turn the laptop off and take to computer repair. If Apple, go to Apple Store. Do not use the computer. Do you have Apple Care for the keyboard?

Regular Contributor

if its' a keyboard to a desktop...put the keyboard into the dishwasher. When it's been cleaned, leave it on the counter for at least 24 hours giving all the connection time to dry out. Voila! Your keyboard will work perfectly. Our ITS department does this on a regular basis at work, however, we don't use Apple's at work.

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 occasional rain said:

Last night I spilled coffee on my Mac wireless keyboard, not a lot. Anyway, I wiped it off and the keyboard still worked then but tonight some of the keys don't. Is it DOA or is there a fix?

Thanks

If you didn't remove the batteries and let it dry out, it's DOA.

Respected Contributor

I've had keyboards (not wireless) that did that but with time went back to normal. Give it a week. Even if you get a new one, keep it around for a month or so and see if it dries out fully. When I spill something on a keyboard, I immediately turn it keys side down while I get a towel in order to minimize the damage.

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Breea said:

if its' a keyboard to a desktop...put the keyboard into the dishwasher. When it's been cleaned, leave it on the counter for at least 24 hours giving all the connection time to dry out. Voila! Your keyboard will work perfectly. Our ITS department does this on a regular basis at work, however, we don't use Apple's at work.

You have to be kidding. No way!

Respected Contributor

What about putting it in a bag of dry uncooked rice upside down? Rice dries out cell phones. You could use a small trash bag.

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 mima said:

Wouldn't the wiring / electronics inside the keyboard be ruined by washing in the dishwasher?

Super Contributor

On 12/20/2014 ValuSkr said:
On 12/20/2014 mima said:

Wouldn't the wiring / electronics inside the keyboard be ruined by washing in the dishwasher?

I would think so. I would never do as that poster suggested.

Esteemed Contributor

DOA

Coffee is acidic.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.