Respected Contributor

Question re streaming on t.v.

This is a very basic question - how do you get streaming? Every show I see reviewed indicates that it is available on say - amazon prime, Hulu, Netflix, Blockbuster, etc. do you have to sign up individually with each of these companies? Or is there one package that covers most? We are with Dish T.V. And have a wide selection of channels but it seems to me a lot of the newer dramas are all streaming and on all different carriers. Basic question but any help would be gratefully received. Thankyou.
Respected Contributor

Re: Question re streaming on t.v.

You get streaming on a TV by the following:

1. Buying a Smart TV which is capable of accessing the internet and get channels like HULU, Netflix, etc.

2. A streaming device that connects to your TV. Examples are Roku, Apple TV and Google TV.

3. Connecting a smart Bluray/DVD player, XBox, PS4 or computer.

Most channels like Netflix require a subscription. You can also access iTunes or Amazon and rent or buy movies or TV shows.

Honored Contributor

streaming devices such as Roku etc have to be able to connect to your internet connection ether via your Wifi or an Ethernet cable.

Esteemed Contributor

You need a subscription to use Hulu Plus, Netflix, or Blockbuster. You also need a Roku, Fire TV, or Fire TV stick, Chrome cast, Blu-Ray player or a Smart TV. and you also need internet service and a wireless router.

This is information about Netflix. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/412

Super Contributor

I have an Apple TV and just received an Amazon Fire TV Stick which I plan to use in the bedrooms. The stick is much cheaper and offers many of the same options as the Apple TV. Easy to set up and streams movies from Netflix and Amazon Instant Video just fine.

Esteemed Contributor

I just received a Apple TV stick last week. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=7000537839&ref=pd_sl_2yqprhk23s_b

Fire TV http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX5P8FC/ref=kin_ftvsdps_ftvdec

The link above have comparison charts for other products, like Roku.

Super Contributor

Streaming means watching over the internet. Others in the above posts gave great examples of what to buy (if you don't already have it) to bring internet to your tv and you can watch through your tv.

You can also stream using your computer (its already connected to the internet). On the computer you would login to Amazon Prime, Netflix, HuLu, etc. You'll need to set up an account, which fees apply, but you can watch whatever you want on your computer. at those various sites.

If you have a laptop computer, and you follow as I explained in paragraph above, you could connect your laptop to your TV and watch whatever on your laptop through your TV screen. Hook up to TV is pretty easy, if the laptop and computer each have HDMI ports. With 1 HDMI cable, plug one side into the laptop, and the other side into the TV. You may need to select something on the TV to tell it to stop viewing from the port that your Dish TV is coming from, and instead view from the port that you hooked your laptop up to.

Many years ago, before they had smart TVs with internet capabilities built in, I used to connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable and watch some sporting events that were not local to me. I loved being able to watch on big screen, sitting back on the couch, instead of sitting on a chair with the laptop and little laptop screen. I also have friends that use the blueray DVD built into their laptop, connect laptop to TV, and use that as their blueray player. No need to buy a specific blueray DVD player just for the TV.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Cha1k said:

I have an Apple TV and just received an Amazon Fire TV Stick which I plan to use in the bedrooms. The stick is much cheaper and offers many of the same options as the Apple TV. Easy to set up and streams movies from Netflix and Amazon Instant Video just fine.

Let me know how you like the Fire TV stick compared to the Apple TV. I have the Apple TV, and was thinking of doing like you and getting the Fire TV stick for the bedroom. It is so cheap, compared to apple TV. If it works...thats all that matters. I'd be curious to know your opinion between the two.

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Lynnj said:

Streaming means watching over the internet. Others in the above posts gave great examples of what to buy (if you don't already have it) to bring internet to your tv and you can watch through your tv.

You can also stream using your computer (its already connected to the internet). On the computer you would login to Amazon Prime, Netflix, HuLu, etc. You'll need to set up an account, which fees apply, but you can watch whatever you want on your computer. at those various sites.

If you have a laptop computer, and you follow as I explained in paragraph above, you could connect your laptop to your TV and watch whatever on your laptop through your TV screen. Hook up to TV is pretty easy, if the laptop and computer each have HDMI ports. With 1 HDMI cable, plug one side into the laptop, and the other side into the TV. You may need to select something on the TV to tell it to stop viewing from the port that your Dish TV is coming from, and instead view from the port that you hooked your laptop up to.

Many years ago, before they had smart TVs with internet capabilities built in, I used to connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable and watch some sporting events that were not local to me. I loved being able to watch on big screen, sitting back on the couch, instead of sitting on a chair with the laptop and little laptop screen. I also have friends that use the blueray DVD built into their laptop, connect laptop to TV, and use that as their blueray player. No need to buy a specific blueray DVD player just for the TV.

I tried to do that and it doesn't work. I can watch non Bluray movies just fine but a Bluray won't play. I went online and found out there is a protection built into the disk so it can't be watched on more than one screen at a time. While you aren't watching it on both the notebook computer and the TV, the disc thinks you are.

Respected Contributor

I have a Roku and subscribe to Amazon Prime. You need to have either a smart TV that picks up WiFi or the Roku (which connects to the internet via your Wifi.) And you need a service to send you videos, like Hulu, Prime, Netflix or Vudu. Most cost some money for the subscription but are a lot less than cable.

I hardly watch my cable sub any more and I'd drop if if I didn't have that stupid bundle with telephone and internet. Cable is a waste--I turned it on after being off over 2 months--same darn shows I saw two years or more ago. The content is very recycled now on cable. I get more enjoyment out of watching TV shows on Prime.

I will say, Netflix has more selection, but since I use Prime to send gifts to people and I have a Kindle, I have Amazon Prime instead. If you aren't an Amazon fan, Netflix is probably better. Vudu lets you upload some BluRay discs you may own, and play them over the internet instead of via the player. Not all of the discs have that feature but many newer ones do. I love that.