Esteemed Contributor

Need Help Password Weirdness

My husband is a retired college professor. He uses the computer he had when he was working, so it's out of date. He is entitled to the tech support of his department at the university. We have had nothing but trouble with them for a long time. I use my iPad 1 but he uses his old computer. Every time he brings it in to his old department because of a problem they ruin something and create more trouble. After the holidays we are going to get a new computer and have nothing more to do with the incompetents who are making my life miserable. My husband wants nothing to do with the problems anymore so I am trying to deal with the latest issue until we buy a new Mac. The current problem is weird. Every time we place an order, despite the fact that it goes through, we get a message saying that we requested a new password, when we did NOT request that. Could this have to do with some security issue that the clowns at work inadvertanty created? Why are we sent messages referring to a request to change passwords when we never made such a request? What should I do? For now I am just changing passwords but it's getting out of hand.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Help Password Weirdness

I would not use the computer anymore. When you buy your new computer have this one recycled by Apple.
Respected Contributor

I also wouldn't use the computer anymore and I wouldn't wait to buy a new one.

Honored Contributor

Vivian, I'd be very wary of using that computer without taking it to a trusted professional to check it for problems.

There's a simple way to detect whether these password messages are related to his computer: the next time you place an order, do so with your iPad or another computer, but don't use your husband's computer. If you don't get a password-change message, the problem more likely is associate with his device and not the account you used for ordering.

hth, and I wish you luck with this!Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova