Esteemed Contributor

A pop-up just came on my computer to Install Adobe Reader. I don't know that is - should I install?

Regular Contributor

I never go thru the popups. One never knows. I just go to the Adobe site to download (and if you do not want McAfee, be sure to uncheck the box),

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Honored Contributor

DON'T!!! LOOK ON VIEWPOINTS.....FORD 1224 HAS A THREAD OR TWO ABOUT THE NIGHTMARE SHE IS EXPERIENCING. HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!

Regular Contributor

Adobe is safe IF you go thru the Adobe site. Not a good idea to click on any popups---ever!

Super Contributor
Are you doing something that requires you to need it at that moment? No need to install something for sale of installing. Maybe a PDF document might need Adobe Reader. But if you need it, and want it installed, then yes..by all means do not install it by using the pop up. Go directly to Adobe.com and download from there.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't need it - I'll ignore - thx

Honored Contributor

Just to reiterate what's been said in the thread-bombing of late about this -

Adobe = good

Updating through pop ups = NOT necessarily from Adobe, and can be bad

If you don't use the reader (for like reading PDF files), or the player (for videos, etc), or the Adobe AIR (for whatever that is), then just ignore. Don't click on anything unless you are positive from where it comes.

If you want to install/update your Adobe products go directly to the adobe website and look for downloads/current versions and get it there - just to be safe.

Honored Contributor
On 12/14/2014 Lucky charm said:

DON'T!!! LOOK ON VIEWPOINTS.....FORD 1224 HAS A THREAD OR TWO ABOUT THE NIGHTMARE SHE IS EXPERIENCING. HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!

Not a nightmare. All I had to do was delete the Adobe update from a pop-up I had done, and the subsequent suspicious pop-up stopped showing up. Just do not install the subsequent pop-up which could cause the "nightmare." And, of course, delete the Adobe update you installed from the initial pop-up.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Frequent Contributor

In windows notifications tab on my task bar, I can customize settings to show or hide notifications and icons.

My Avast (paid) has a software updater list so you can be aware of various important updates, and you can choose to install from within Avast Internet Security.

Neither of these two are always perfect to use.

I received no pop ups, thankfully. (fingers crossed)

I have the all my Adobe icons on my desktop, I just went to the Flash Player Icon, clicked and it took me to the secure adobe site. Ran the check if your program is up to date, and instructions are there. If you do not have the icon, find it in your programs list and open, and follow.

You can click on the help there for all Adobe and it was HTTPS: For me I try not to jump too fast, and I try to take time to read, although I mess up lots.