Honored Contributor

WARNING!! Do not update Adobe Flash/Reader . . . it contains malware that may give you potentially dangerous pop-ups.

Unbelievable that this has not been publicized by Adobe.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Re: WARNING!! Do not update Adobe Flash/Reader . . . it contains malware that may give you potentially dangerous pop-ups.

HOw did you find out about this? What's your source? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: WARNING!! Do not update Adobe Flash/Reader . . . it contains malware that may give you potentially dangerous pop-ups.

I just got a popup on my Mac telling me an update was available. I had read your post on Viewpoints and clicked no for the time being.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

DH just updated it on our apple a couple days ago and no problems.

Trusted Contributor

I could not run Youtube videos or any videos for that matter and I did receive the Adobe update 'warning' AND I DID DOWNLOAD the update. I can now run Youtube, ect. again.

I also receive an update to download Yosemite OS yesterday and I have NOT done that so far due to many people I know who have been parked at the area Apple store for the last 2 months.

AGAIN - who was your source ?

... and Thanks ...

Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Pie1993 said:

I could not run Youtube videos or any videos for that matter and I did receive the Adobe update 'warning' AND I DID DOWNLOAD the update. I can now run Youtube, ect. again.

I also receive an update to download Yosemite OS yesterday and I have NOT done that so far due to many people I know who have been parked at the area Apple store for the last 2 months.

... and Thanks ...

"Only shops online" is the poster who asked me if I recently did an Adobe update because she encountered the same problem. Since I deleted the Adobe update I did this morning, I have not been getting the pop-up.

I guess I'll wait and see if that was enough.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

With all due respect, this thread is highly misleading.

Unless someone can point me to reliable info about this, I think this is wrong.

Adobe Flash is safe. As long as you install it directly from their website.

If a person installs it from a pop-up they're in danger of installing malware because there are pop-ups designed by malicious people who try to trick unsuspecting users.

In fact, last month there were important security updates that were extremely important for people to install. Here's one article from a very reliable source:

"...For the second time this month, Adobe has issued a security update for its Flash Player software. New versions are available for Windows, Mac and Linux versions of Flash. The patch provides additional protection on a vulnerability that Adobe fixed earlier this year for which attackers appear to have devised unique and active exploits..."

link: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/11/adobe-pushes-critical-flash-patch/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Pie1993 said:

... and Thanks ...

Pie1993, Adobe Flash is safe and it's important to keep it up-to-date because some of the updates contain security software.Smile

Just be sure you download directly from their site.

People are being confused by the misleading pop-ups which appear to be official Adobe Flash updates but are not, and they contain malware.

Again, Adobe Flash updates are safe and important. But always, always, always get them from their website.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I did the update last week on my MacBook Pro. Did it from the pop-up. So far I'm not noticing any problem. Thankfully.

Super Contributor

I agree with everything that DooBdoo said - it is vital to keep Adobe Flash updated, because of ongoing security threats. However, the updates should be made directly from the Adobe website, not from some pop up received (as DooBdoo also pointed out).

I just updated Adobe Flash a few days ago on my Macbook Air. No problems.