Frequent Contributor

Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7

I purchased the TSV HP Laptop that was on for December. Have not received it yet but am wondering if I made a mistake.

Normally, I would be excited about receiving this but after hearing so many bad comments about the Windows 8 and 8.1, I must admit I am a little apprehensive. Especially since I am not all that computer savvy.

Any input from others about coping with the adjustment from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and/or 8.1 would be appreciated.

Does anybody like the Windows 8.1?

I have always received so much help from the people on this Forum in the past who are so generous with their time to help others--so am reaching out once again for your comments.

Honored Contributor

Re: Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7

DH has 8 on his laptop but I have not used it much. I'm still using 7 on the desktop & use it or my iPad most of the time. DH said to install Classic Shell. You can check it out here. http://www.classicshell.net/

Esteemed Contributor

I moved from an old computer with Vista to a new touch-screen with 8.1 last spring and really it is not a big deal. Just look around the menu and get a feel for where things are. For the life of me I do no understand all the hysteria about this issue.

Respected Contributor

I love win 8.1. It's not hard to learn, it's really not much different from 7. I found helpful to use a win 81.1 intro book because it highighted the differences. You'll do fine. Enjoy!
Contributor

A few short years ago I had a Dell computer that had windows 7 and Word. Then Dell mother board crashed, not worth fixing. Ordered a non-Dell computer w/the new windows 8. Went to You Tube, (using my husband computer) and there are many sights for learning the new Windows 8. By the time my new computer arrived, I felt comfortable in using Windows 8. The only thing I missed was Word, it did have Word notepad, but not the same. I use my Window 8 desktop, placed my most go to sights in favorites. Now it similar in use as windows 7. Installed Word (which must be purchased, bummer). Had no issues in learning Windows 8. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

My work computer has Windows 7 and my home computer has 8.1. Every once and a while I can't find a setting or something in my home computer. I blame that on me not taking the time to read up about it. I have no issues or regrets with 8.1.
Trusted Contributor

With Windows 8.1 you have a choice of using the regular desktop you're used to, or the new Start screen. I use the desktop, and don't even bother with the Start screen or apps. I have no complaints. There's a number of things I like better than my old XP and Vista computers.

There's help here and online so you shouldn't have a problem.

Honored Contributor

I have computers with both OS and it's all good. With my Win8.1 computer I installed Classic Shell (classicshell.net), which lets me bypass that silly tile start page and use the familiar desktop with the start button, etc. It also makes a few others things what I was used to. I never even see the 8.1 start page.

There is no reason not to move with the technology, especially since you can make the newer one look just like the previous ones. My issue was that I hated the tile thing and I couldn't find stuff. So, for changing it with the Classic Shell software (it's a tiny download and free), I was again able to find everything easily and have the features I was used to.

My only continuing complaint was that I didn't have my solitaire game anymore, but I found out how to get it and all is good! Smiley Happy I don't know why they took away all those classic games with Win8. Maybe they are only popular for a few of us. But it's really easy to pull them from one of your Win7 computers and put them on your Win8/8.1 computers. Takes like a minute.

Occasional Contributor

8 is so bad that MS is going straight to 10 in hopes that nobody will speak of 8 ever again.

Super Contributor

Microsoft Windows 7 update is buggy. Be careful about automatic updating.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/12/13/new-windows-7-patch-is-effectively-malware-di...