Respected Contributor

I check the usage on my iPad and it's huge despite having no music, photos or videos. I checked each app thinking maybe my games were using so much space. Once again, the numbers don't add up. I'm talking GBs of usage under the category "other". Can this be from updates? If I reset then use a backup, will the usage be the same? If I don't use a backup and simply reinstall the apps I want, can I regain the storage space?

Honored Contributor

Re: A question about iPad usage

Check in Settings, Privacy, Diagnostics & Usage, Diagnostics & Usage Data. That really builds up over time, and the only way you can "dump" it is by syncing the device.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I sync my device and it doesn't do a thing.

Super Contributor

Let me google that for you.....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iPad+other+data+usage+high

Honored Contributor

Excellent, Cha1k!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

glb, Ok.Smile I wasn't sure if you knew to check for the storage used by the diagnostics. "Other" storage can be so many things -- for example, the data and info saved for each app, which is separate from the size of the app alone. So, deleting an app (and all the associated data) and then downloading it again does temporarily regain some space.

Other than syncing, and storing several things (like pix, videos, etc.) on my Mac instead of on my iPad -- I do completely erase and restore the iPad fairly often and that does reclaim some space, cleans out some things like log files that we don't see.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I'll try resetting and see what happens. I have 9 GB of "other" and my available storage is down to 3 GB. As I posted, there are NO movies, pictures or music stored. There are days I could throw it against the wall.

Honored Contributor

On 12/13/2014 glb613 said:

I sync my device and it doesn't do a thing.

is there an update sitting on your device waiting to be implemented?

that can take up the "other" space, Apple just puts it there even though we might not be ready to update annoying to my mind

Honored Contributor

On 12/13/2014 Cha1k said:

Wink

love this site

Honored Contributor

On 12/13/2014 Cha1k said:

WOW- opens a Whole New World!!!!!!!!
New Contributor

Go to the Apple app store and download a free app to clean the cache. I use Checker - Memory & Disk Space System Checker. It will free up a lot of space and junk files